Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gottlieb High Hand Restore - Covid project

Collapse

The place to ask for advice on Restoring Pinball Machines. (use the tech forum for electrical faults)

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gottlieb High Hand Restore - Covid project

Back in 2016 I bought a project High Hand for Xmas and it's been sitting in the garage ever since. I can't believe it's been over 4 years.
    I finished the Count-Down cabinet restore a few months ago, so I'm in the mood to get back into it again.

My original purchase post has gone, here's a few pics.

The playfield has seen better days.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-22 20.41.09.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	2220949

Name:	2016-12-22 20.41.19.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	2220950

Name:	2016-12-22 20.41.27.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	2220951
    The coin door is pretty rusted but I now have a good second hand one to replace it.

Name:	2016-12-22 20.50.03.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	2220952

The front of the head box has de-laminated

Name:	2016-12-23 14.09.52.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	2220953

Both the male and female Jones for two of the connector are broken but I have source replacements.

Name:	2016-12-22 20.47.35.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	2220954 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-22 20.57.58.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	2220955
    More to come
    Attached Files

awesome.. give it a bath and a wax and play it til the wheels fall off . they dont all have to be 'perfect'

Comment

I started off this morning and though that I would just replace the broken female Jones plug in the head box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-19 12.56.03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	315.1 KB ID:	2220966

All done. Just note that the male side is plugged into the female plug so I don't loose it before I get to the cabinet repair.

I then did some stencils for the front of the head box. I then removed the top layer of laminate. It came off really easily.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-19 12.50.40.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.2 KB ID:	2220967

There are a few de-lamination repairs needed before I can start working on putting on the new front.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-19 14.59.43.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.1 KB ID:	2220968
      I also started on the head board as it too required some repair work, mainly the particle board breaking up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-19 13.47.13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.0 KB ID:	2220969

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-19 14.08.40.jpg Views:	0 Size:	294.8 KB ID:	2220970
      I'll let that dry over night and see if anything else need to be glued.

I'm also going to give the back board and few coats of white paint as there is hardly any paint on it and it looks crap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-19 13.46.47.jpg Views:	0 Size:	285.1 KB ID:	2220971

With this part restoration, I'm only going to do the front of the head box, the rest will remain as it is.

The inside is really clean, just the playfield needs to be cleaned up. Again, I'm just going to do minimal repairs, just a touch up here and there.

I had previously purchased all of the parts I need for the restore quite awhile ago, just before the dollar fell, so hopefully it won't take too long.
      Last edited by thejudge; 20 July 2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Fabulous! High Hand is such a great game. I've got schematics some where if you need to refer to them .
        Wanted: Aquarius backglass, any Gottlieb EM bits and pieces - nothing is junk to me

Comment

the colours in the backglass look great, surely it will come up a treat

Comment

Originally posted by bossninja17 View Post
            Fabulous! High Hand is such a great game. I've got schematics some where if you need to refer to them .
            Thanks, but luckily the original schematics were included when I bought it.

Comment

Looks like a fun project Trev. I bought a project High Hand some years ago but ended up flipping it for a small profit a couple of years later without ever doing anything to it except stripping the PF . While I had it I was thinking about a mod to get the drops to reset . Look forward to your progress pics

Comment

Originally posted by goodolddays View Post
                Looks like a fun project Trev. I bought a project High Hand some years ago but ended up flipping it for a small profit a couple of years later without ever doing anything to it except stripping the PF . While I had it I was thinking about a mod to get the drops to reset . Look forward to your progress pics
                I also thought about flipping it after having it sitting in the garage for so long, but covid has me sitting at home so I thought I might as well get it going.

I also have the schematics for the target reset which I'll certainly look at doing.

Comment

Originally posted by goodolddays View Post
                  Shit a mod to reset the targets....I found it hard enough on 5 a ball setting to get them down let alone get a credit from managing to get the ball in the hole.........unless you were going with more targets to hit hence more bonus for a score replay?

Comment

Quick update.
                    I finished gluing the broken bits of particle board and gave the board and few coats of paint.
                    I'll set this aside now and work on the front of the back box.

Name:	2021-07-22 16.28.12.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	2221709

I also went to Bunnings today and tried to match the paint from the front of the back box.

Name:	2021-07-22 19.10.27.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	2221710

It doesn't look too bad in the picture, but to the eye it's not a very good match. I know it doesn't have to be perfect but i want it a bit closer.
                    It's not really an off-white or heritage white, more of a cream color. I guess after almost 50 years the color has mutated somewhat.

Attached Files

Comment

antique white is the one most people use
                      looking to buy gottlieb electro mechanical pinball machines from any era

Comment

if you already have paint, to save buying more you can ask for a tint.

maybe explain the colour you are trying to achieve and they will give/sell you a small container of the appropriate tint, but don't add too much to a small amount of paint as tint doesn't dry so to speak.

Comment

Finished putting on the new front, just have to tidy up around the edges a bit more. I normally get a few wood chips coming off when cutting across the grain, not too many this time as I seem to be getting a bit better at it, luckily easily fixed

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-24 10.18.04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	294.2 KB ID:	2222007

Still haven't worked out the paint yet, trying the get antique white USA in an aerosol that's in a shop close to me.
                          Last edited by thejudge; 24 July 2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I also did some work on repairing the male Jones plug today.

Both the 20 pin and the 10 pin plugs were broken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-24 15.46.49.jpg Views:	6 Size:	363.2 KB ID:	2222076
                            I had previously sourced the 20 pin replacement from cardini, and here it is installed, just need to clean it up a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-24 17.20.09.jpg Views:	6 Size:	266.0 KB ID:	2222077

For the 10 pin, I managed to fashion half of the broken 20 pin plug into a respectable 10 pin plug.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-07-24 19.09.04.jpg Views:	6 Size:	225.4 KB ID:	2222078

I haven't installed yet, that's a job for tomorrow.
                            Last edited by thejudge; 24 July 2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Front of the head looks sweet.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X