Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Building a pinball

Help. My son (7yr old) has been desperate to make a pinball for about a year now. I think I’ll be able to hold him out till maybe next year. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this. I’m guessing a re theme is probably the easier alternative. Also is there any short (6 month) courses I could do to learn about the electronics side to it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Like 4

yep mechanical first.

mine started at 7 with cardboard tracks (penny arcade style ball rails),

then pivoting wood flippers ( think seesaw).

Hes now asking about programming and ardiuno.

dont hold him back.

• Like 2

if you want to include ramps, just post in the 'wanted' section for peoples used, but reusable ramps, and design around something that already exists

Great idea. I’m under no illusions in the size of this job. It definitely something we will be doing together.

I think I’m thinking of a re theme because it’s all there. I’m not sure how to go about using different sounds etc. which is why I’m thinking of doing a short course to learn.

Would love to build from scratch but that a massive step and would be something to work towards.

Here is a project that uses WAV trigger board but I say you could change it to the MP3 trigger board mentioned above instead.

https://www.hackster.io/BobB/arduino-controlled-pinball-machine-525863

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/BobB/pinball-sounds-and-music-bac92b

and I remember this re theme but I don't think the sounds changed.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/pinball/pinball-restoration-s/em-electromechanical-pinball-restorations/102573-snow-queen-to-stranger-thing

• Like 1

A 3D printer is something worth considering. Can get great value kits now and with free cad programs like Tinkercad that are made to be so easy that kids can learn to design, you can basically make anything you can dream up. Seriously one of my favourite toys now. Have made so many cool things and fixed so many things around home for free
  • Like 1

Here is a project that uses WAV trigger board but I say you could change it to the MP3 trigger board mentioned above instead.

https://www.hackster.io/BobB/arduino-controlled-pinball-machine-525863

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/BobB/pinball-sounds-and-music-bac92b

and I remember this re theme but I don't think the sounds changed.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/pinball/pinball-restoration-s/em-electromechanical-pinball-restorations/102573-snow-queen-to-stranger-thing

Thank you. That’s great to check out

A 3D printer is something worth considering. Can get great value kits now and with free cad programs like Tinkercad that are made to be so easy that kids can learn to design, you can basically make anything you can dream up. Seriously one of my favourite toys now. Have made so many cool things and fixed so many things around home for free

I would love a 3D printer. I was thinking if I did ante theme I could 3 D print and figure etc for the machine. I think that would definitely be on the list. What ones do you rate? Any to stay away from?

I have a Creality CR-10 V2. I don’t have heaps of experience but did a heap of research into all the options out there and chose it because of its print size, price, cooling, print bed surface and frame design all make it a good bundle. Straight out of the box with very little assembly and standard settings on a free slicer software Cura it just works great. Very happy with it. Can print big stuff which is tops. Lots of printers a kind of small in print size. You could print some great ramps etc on it. Can do up to 300mm x 300mm x 400mm
  • Like 1

I would love a 3D printer. I was thinking if I did ante theme I could 3 D print and figure etc for the machine. I think that would definitely be on the list. What ones do you rate? Any to stay away from?

don't get a resin printer if the ball is going to interact with the 3d prints

• Like 1

@AtariTam while everyone here is giving great advice, I would recommend that you keep it small, keep it simple

overreaching might mean it is a project you never finish

many people start their own project and never finish due to the need to be proficient in many, many skills. and the need to buy many tools which will only be used once

• Like 1

I love the father / son project idea and why no make it a pinball.

@Gemini2544

Hi guys, just to clarify a few things here.....

@AtariTam is the mum of superstar ELVIS....Son of Marcus @RaoulJuke who is now helping Bill and his Big Arse van bookings.....

Mother and Son.....Like the link to Dr Chop and Emily is Father and Daughter.....

So that leaves Father and Son by Cat Stevens and Steptoe and Son on the ABC

So my thoughts are go for it even if it's not a re-theme and just a rebuild...

My other suggestions are that ocassionally Dr Chop comes to houseball and may be a good chat...otherwise he is less than an hour away from Dang's (Private Joke)

Matty H, also comes to houseball and has the expertise regarding the decals and graphics.

Geoff of Pinball Perfection also makes the odd houseball and is truely a master at cabs and playfields.

Shaggy Alex Visual Magic may have a 3D printer and is a smart cookie that may have some advice here. Also Houseball.

And Kurt KJS Pinball also an occasional houseball attendee has knowledge in sound.

There are also a bunch of others there with tech advice like Solar Dave - BM Tech and operator and @raysco although retired and busier than ever also could be good to chat to....

All houseball friends that would prefer ELVIS was building machines rather than beating the adults with 40 plus years of gametime...

Go hard Tam and Elvis

I look forward to the results...

• Like 1

@Gemini2544

Hi guys, just to clarify a few things here.....

@AtariTam is the mum of superstar ELVIS....Son of Marcus @RaoulJuke who is now helping Bill and his Big Arse van bookings.....

Mother and Son.....Like the link to Dr Chop and Emily is Father and Daughter.....

So that leaves Father and Son by Cat Stevens and Steptoe and Son on the ABC

So my thoughts are go for it even if it's not a re-theme and just a rebuild...

My other suggestions are that ocassionally Dr Chop comes to houseball and may be a good chat...otherwise he is less than an hour away from Dang's (Private Joke)

Matty H, also comes to houseball and has the expertise regarding the decals and graphics.

Geoff of Pinball Perfection also makes the odd houseball and is truely a master at cabs and playfields.

Shaggy Alex Visual Magic may have a 3D printer and is a smart cookie that may have some advice here. Also Houseball.

And Kurt KJS Pinball also an occasional houseball attendee has knowledge in sound.

There are also a bunch of others there with tech advice like Solar Dave - BM Tech and operator and @raysco although retired and busier than ever also could be good to chat to....

All houseball friends that would prefer ELVIS was building machines rather than beating the adults with 40 plus years of gametime...

Go hard Tam and Elvis

I look forward to the results...

@DAG Thanks. That’s really nice of you.

Elvis is already deep into his planning so a real theme is likely. 😬

@Cranky Dave He will probably want it totally weird so he can enter his machine in Houseball and in his words’ totally freak out Cranky Dave.

• Like 1

Why re invent the wheel, Why not get a broken or project pinball machine and fix it up together. You'll still fore-fill his dream of creating something from it. A great Father & Son project.

Yes , that would be preferable from my end. 🤣 My son has a pretty strong will and he already has it mapped out. He’s totally focused on this theme. I’m a pretty creative person so I’m actually looking forward to it, albeit shitting myself .

• Like 1