Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Twilight Zone Pinball Speaker Panel

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has flame polished TZ speaker panel before?

I have used this method on ramps and other plastic but not the speaker panel. The Novus is not doing it for me.

SpeakerPanel.png.c794f64243d21e24c9461cb6f30f7835.png

I have flamed a complete plastic kit for a machine before, with images on them. I think it was a Stern and it looked good, however, tried it on a DE and it just made a mess, different plastics I guess.

In general, I would try it on plastic up the back that was hard to see to test flame polishing, the problem with this is its only one piece and its right in front of you so if it goes wrong I would have to replace it.

If anyone has tried it please let me know.

I tried it on a ST:TNG panel and it made a complete mess of it. With a light touch from the torch, the scratches wouldn't come out. Applying the torch a bit harder resulted in warping, but did bring most of the scratches out. Then I heated the panel up with a hot air gun and stuck it between 2 sheets of glass to flatten it. That worked, but the whole thing had shrunk by about 1cm across its width. I ended up having to buy a replacement. I have successfully flame polished ramps before, so I suspect the speaker panel plastic is a different type.

I'd recommend mechanical polishing with a cutting compound and then Novus 2 if I had the chance to try it again.

The printing on the reverse side did survive the whole process though.