Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove stubborn screws

Collapse

The place to ask for advice on Restoring Pinball Machines. (use the tech forum for electrical faults)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dedrok View Post
    Pinball Resource has them , but currently out of stock

Link

Never seen them anywhere else.
    [MENTION=12190]wiredoug[/MENTION] May have spares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

none available sorry .. i have a couple hoarded for when i break them myself but none spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedrok View Post
      Pinball Resource has them , but currently out of stock

Link

Never seen them anywhere else.
      [MENTION=12190]wiredoug[/MENTION] May have spares

Oh THOSE flipper pawls... hmmm

If none can be found anywhere, and people need a replacment.... been made once, can be made again!

Myself or any machinist could do a refurb of existing cranks, or remakes as one offs, as a last (more expensive) resort....

Comment

Or take the old cut out ones to get the grub screw machined out to bigger sized

The Artist Formally Known As #1

Comment

I was kinda picturing bigger issues like:

worn bore (from working loose)
          cracked plate
          severely rusted
          We were also talking about Hacksaws!?

*hacksaw fair enough, except maybe if cranks arent available*?

also swap sides and have new grub screw hole?

If biting the bullet and getting the drill, go Straight for the tapping size for the thread, drill it square and the grub screw should keep it in line for you. Going far enough would violate the flipper shaft a little.

Comment

Comment

I think I have about 6 Gottlieb pawls here plus other Gottlieb system 1 flipper parts. Anyone after them I will straight swap them for the equivalent Bally SS or Williams WPC part. I figure if I ever get a Gottlieb machine here that is mine I would most definitely change the flipper assemblies on it for either Bally SS or WPC style flipper assemblies anyway so they are parts I have no use for but not interested in selling them, just swapping like for like.

Comment

How to remove stubborn screws

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
                I think I have about 6 Gottlieb pawls here plus other Gottlieb system 1 flipper parts. Anyone after them I will straight swap them for the equivalent Bally SS or Williams WPC part. I figure if I ever get a Gottlieb machine here that is mine I would most definitely change the flipper assemblies on it for either Bally SS or WPC style flipper assemblies anyway so they are parts I have no use for but not interested in selling them, just swapping like for like.

Comment

You mean this sort of surgery?

There's always a 1st time. - Aussie Arcade
                  http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/forum.../138-RAIL-WAYS

Comment

Originally posted by Railways View Post

Yes had to do that on an 80s Stern.
                    Exactly same reason, flogged out shaft from the screws.

Gottlieb is a different breed altogether.

Thanks Jeff.

Comment

This is one of my favourite pinball tools
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1560454702766.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1848982Click image for larger version

Name:	1560454762742.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1848983

Comment

Originally posted by Railways View Post

Those look alot like paralel shaft bats with dimples in the shafts?

Any crank system that uses a set screw (rather than the clamping effect ie. DE, WPC etc.) needs a grooved shaft. If you ever wondered why the groove, it is to prevent the natural and excessive burs/swelling, that the system creates, from locking the cranks onto the shafts and making them very painful to remove. Paralel shafts should only be for clamping type pawls, or else have fun trying to get things apart!

If you're stuck, add a crude recessed section with a bench grinder or something, to provide the relief gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
                          Is it possible to do a straight swap or do also need to swap coils and more?

Comment

Originally posted by onetaste View Post
                            Is it possible to do a straight swap or do also need to swap coils and more?
                            Gottlieb flipper coils fit straight in Bally SS flipper mechs. If you want to retain the Gottlieb flipper bats so the machine looks stock, you'll need these parts to mount the Gottlieb bats on the thinner shafts....
                            Marco Specialties Pinball Parts
                            There are a Bally SS part before the bat become part of the shaft.

As for Williams WPC large coil mechs, you need to relocate the coil retainer bracket to allow for the shorter coil. Position it, mark, drill and tap the two new mounting holes. Again, if you want to retain the original Gottlieb bats, you also need the Bally SS flipper bat mount as above.

The flipper coils Gottlieb used were not weak, it has to do with the energy required from the coil to move all the metal mass. If you look at the original Gottlieb mech, note all the metal that is required to move when the flipper is worked. This metal mass all requires magnetic energy to move it.
                            This metal mass was seen as a problem to the point of modern pinballs first having holes drilled in the flipper bat mounting plates to reduce the weight and finally molding the bat directly to the shaft so no metal other than the shaft.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                            Working...
                            X