Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove stubborn screws

Collapse

The place to ask for advice on Restoring Pinball Machines. (use the tech forum for electrical faults)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thejudge View Post
    The parts manual says they should be #10-32 X 3/8 Hex Head Cup Point set screw.
    So hopefully when I go to my local fasteners shop they will have them.
    I think they will probably be imperial as well.
    So if there in the book, why do they use those shitty grub screws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can Play while not spilling the beer.

Comment

Originally posted by thejudge View Post
      I am trying to remove the flipper to replace it but I can't undo the screw that hold the shaft, as seen in the pic.

Link

I have sprayed WD40 on it during the day but it still won't budge.
      I have also used a nail punch and hit it with a hammer, shock attack, no good.

I have heard of the left hand drill extractor bit, do they work ?
      Any advice on how to remove them would be great.

btw, this is on a Gottlieb System 1 playfield.
      The Artist Formally Known As #1

Comment

Checked my joker poker i got 3 out of 4 out easily. pbr flipper rebuild kit had some phillips head coil stop screws that are the same thread. So will swap these with hex or allen bolts. If you cut the shaft with hacksaw the grub screw is still stuck in there and youd have to replace the whole thing?...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Comment

I get replacement "cap screws" that are #8-32 and #10-32 from this place.....
          Link

Pretty local to you mate and they always seem to have the right length I'm after.

The internal grub screws are a great idea because it is less weight for the flipper coil to have to move but being blind holes, once the Allen key goes in, you have no idea if the Allen key tip has actually gone fully in the hole. Someone trys using an Allen key not fully in the hole and the problem starts rounding out the end of the Allen key hole and usually the tool itself. Now you can never get an Allen key fully in that hole again. That is the downfall of all Allen key design unless you can see the hole and take the time to check the tool is fully inserted which sometimes means cleaning crap out of the hole.

Grub screws are when the head is the same size as the threaded section of the bolt.
          Cap screws are when the head is larger the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
            Link

Pretty local to you mate and they always seem to have the right length I'm after.
            Grub screws are when the head is the same size as the threaded section of the bolt.
            Yep, that's the place i always go to, cheaper and better range than bunnings.

Comment

Link

The internal grub screws are a great idea because it is less weight for the flipper coil to have to move but being blind holes, once the Allen key goes in, you have no idea if the Allen key tip has actually gone fully in the hole. Someone trys using an Allen key not fully in the hole and the problem starts rounding out the end of the Allen key hole and usually the tool itself. Now you can never get an Allen key fully in that hole again. That is the downfall of all Allen key design unless you can see the hole and take the time to check the tool is fully inserted which sometimes means cleaning crap out of the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedrok View Post
                You can buy the replacement pawl if needed but they don&#8 217;t come in the kits.
                WPC or Williams kits have the hex head coil stop bolt.

The grub screws are a tiny Allen key size so applying pressure can snap the key.
                Bolts with the Allen Key hex head are larger sized Allen Key size.

Yer I nearly suggested using WPC bolts. I also have #8 and #10 taps for retapping the threads. Funny, I bought them for making my own flipper base plates both Bally SS and Williams but now that I have made all I'm planning on needing, they are getting used for everything with these threads and it is amazing how much some threads are gummed up. Something I guess you don't have an issue with when you buy brand new parts but I see no reason to change parts that are not damaged or worn out plus I don't believe all the new parts are always as good as the originals quality wise.

Comment

Comment

Im confused. Do you hacksaw the whole shaft? After hacksawing the shaft how do you get the grub screw out?

Comment

I got corrected on the terms when I first started buying them from the suppliers. I would walk in and ask for Hex headed bolt and they would say you mean a cap screw...WTF...A screw is a thread with a taper my thinking was but they call them cap screws so that is what I ask for and then specify, countersunk, button, pan or barrel head.

Comment

Originally posted by kimbleseven View Post
                        Im confused. Do you hacksaw the whole shaft? After hacksawing the shaft how do you get the grub screw out?

Comment

Where can i get a replacement pawl from? Havent seen them for sale

Comment

I got corrected on the terms when I first started buying them from the suppliers. I would walk in and ask for Hex headed bolt and they would say you mean a cap screw...WTF...A screw is a thread with a taper my thinking was but they call them cap screws so that is what I ask for and then specify, countersunk, button, pan or barrel head.
                            And if that isn't crazy enough, "cap screws" come in several designations of their own. There are "set screws" as well (having thread all the way to the head).

If you want one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SHUBP.jpg.pagespeed.ce.noqEXY-pkS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1848973

Your B.O.M. or box of bolts would read SHCS - Socket Head Cap Screw (cap screw having paralel shank section)

Name:	index.png
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	1848972

SHSS - Socket Head Set Screw (set screw has thread full length)

Name:	e8eb483c.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1848974

HHSS - Hex Head Set Screw (hexagonal head, full thread)

Seems like the system is set up to avoid double ups in abbreviation, to help prevent confusion. A bit like how it happens with pinball titles ... some descriptions can take a paragraph without using a code system

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by kimbleseven View Post
                            Where can i get a replacement pawl from? Havent seen them for sale

Bally Flipper Rebuild Kit – 05/1975-04/1980 – RTBB

Comment

Pinball Resource has them , but currently out of stock

Never seen them anywhere else.
                              [MENTION=12190]wiredoug[/MENTION] May have spares

Comment

Originally posted by razorsedge View Post
                                And if that isn't crazy enough, "cap screws" come in several designations of their own. There are "set screws" as well (having thread all the way to the head).

If you want one of these:

Link

Your B.O.M. or box of bolts would read SHCS - Socket Head Cap Screw (cap screw having paralel shank section)

Link

SHSS - Socket Head Set Screw (set screw has thread full length)

Link

HHSS - Hex Head Set Screw (hexagonal head, full thread)

Seems like the system is set up to avoid double ups in abbreviation, to help prevent confusion. A bit like how it happens with pinball titles ... some descriptions can take a paragraph without using a code system

- - - Updated - - -

Bally Flipper Rebuild Kit – 05/1975-04/1980 – RTBB

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X