ACS Changes & Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACS Changes & Hall of Fame

The following changes will apply to the *next* ACS qualifying year, commencing 1 January, 2018 with the final in early 2019 (date and host city TBA):

1. The field for the ACS final will increase from 32 players to 48.

2. Only the best 20 results for each player during the calendar year will count. This is in line with the American SCS and Canadian PCS.

Australia is *not* implementing a endorsement fee at this stage. In North America, a $1 per player per tournament fee is being introduced, with accrued funds forming the cash prize pools for the State/Provincial Championship Series and US Nationals. While this won't be happening here in 2018, we are considering bringing it in from 2019, to boost the profile of the ACS. I'd like to hear from players and organisers who have any feedback regarding this proposal.

Originally posted by LCM View Post
    2. Only the best 20 results for each player during the calendar year will count. This is in line with the American SCS and Canadian PCS.
    Finally! I think that makes a lot more sense.

Michi.
    May the pinballs tumble in your direction!

Comment

I agree with the best 20 results,by $1 per player per comp only puts money into top players pocket,with the Queensland Championship being held next week yes it was $1 per player for prize money but they earn't there spot. And because of this did they do not have to pay a entry fee,either pay entry fee or $1 per player per com Has to be one or the other cannot be both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LCM View Post
        Australia is *not* implementing a endorsement fee at this stage. In North America, a $1 per player per tournament fee is being introduced, with accrued funds forming the cash prize pools for the State/Provincial Championship Series and US Nationals. While this won't be happening here in 2018, we are considering bringing it in from 2019, to boost the profile of the ACS. I'd like to hear from players and organisers who have any feedback regarding this proposal.
        Personally, I don't mind paying the extra dollar. But this fee proposal opens the same eternal can of worms that was discussed ad nauseam on Tilt Forums. I'm not sure that it is entirely fair to collect a dollar from all players that attend a tournament during the year when most of them have no chance of ever making it to the ACS finals or, if they do, getting into the placings that have a payout. In effect, the fee would be a tax on everyone to give to a few elite players.

But, more importantly, I'm not sure that having a large prize pool is going to make things better, or boost the ACS profile, for that matter. The more money is involved, the more serious things get, the more incentive there is to game the system somehow, and the less fun things are overall.

I would prefer to have the participants in the ACS pay a tournament fee to cover costs and have some prize money for the winners, rather than taxing everyone.

Michi.

Comment

Originally posted by Michi View Post
          Personally, I don't mind paying the extra dollar. But this fee proposal opens the same eternal can of worms that was discussed ad nauseam on Tilt Forums. I'm not sure that it is entirely fair to collect a dollar from all players that attend a tournament during the year when most of them have no chance of ever making it to the ACS finals or, if they do, getting into the placings that have a payout. In effect, the fee would be a tax on everyone to give to a few elite players.

But, more importantly, I'm not sure that having a large prize pool is going to make things better, or boost the ACS profile, for that matter. The more money is involved, the more serious things get, the more incentive there is to game the system somehow, and the less fun things are overall.

I would prefer to have the participants in the ACS pay a tournament fee to cover costs and have some prize money for the winners, rather than taxing everyone.

Michi.
          Totally agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but what's ACS?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
            Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

Comment

Originally posted by ajfclark View Post
              Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but what's ACS?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
              It's the Australian Championship Series.

Each and every IFPA-endorsed pinball tournament held in Australia counts as a qualifying event. The players who accrue the most ranking points over a calendar year are invited to compete in the final for the title of IFPA Australian Pinball Champion. The final moves from city to city each year; the last one was in Melbourne, and the next one will be in Adelaide.

Comment

It's a dollar! If you're playing in tournaments then by the sounds of things you'll want to go to the ACS. If not then play in a local tournament that isn't IFPA and doesn't give you those magical points so you can attend the ACS simples! Otherwise pay a dollar to do so.

The 20 best tournaments will take away those players that are there because they participated in 60+ tournaments over the year. I was never going to attend even half that many tournaments in a year let alone 1/3 so what shot did I have against someone playing 60+ tournaments?

It's not going to make anyone rich it's there to help bring in the better players. I'm sure that extra $1000 or so would help Eddy, PJ or those that HAVE to take annual leave because their job involves working weekends like a plumber or electrician. He'll I might even attend a few more tournaments
                In: Houdini, Iron man, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
                Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, RZ, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

Comment

I am cool with a $1 fee. Cost me more than a $1 to get to any event so yeah.....

Comment

Great news [MENTION=13861]LCM[/MENTION]

We currently have the $1 per player set up for most of the monthly tournaments here in QLD, culminating in the QLD State Championship on next weekend. Winner earns airfares accommodation and entry for ACS in Adelaide (if eligible). This is the first time we have tried something like this, but haven't really received much in the way of negative feedback thus far. Plus it has been advertised right from the start that all players who qualify earn FREE ENTRY into the final. But the main goal of setting up qualifying like this was to help increase participation at each of the monthly events here in QLD - which I think has worked.

We'll see how things pan out next weekend, but it appears that it will return in 2018.

As for taking the best 20 results, does this mean that players will have to end up playing in a minimum of 20 tournaments?

Comment

Originally posted by Lambo View Post
                      As for taking the best 20 results, does this mean that players will have to end up playing in a minimum of 20 tournaments?
                      In theory, I would think not. In practice, it seems likely, seeing that it'll be much harder to get enough points if I attend, say, only five tournaments (unless my name is Keith Elwin).

Michi.

Comment

Heh, I didn't even make it to 20 tournaments this year! Though that was a conscious choice to take a year off so that's kind of expected...

Interesting to hear the 20 limit come in. Josh must have decided to change the focus for this particular competition. It was always designed to reward a lot of play to encourage newer players. Now it's switching to more skill based. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

I'm cool with the $1 fee. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the extra administration overhead on tournament organisers with this system. Anything that makes their lives harder on top of the already stressful organisation could be a bad thing. I could see some very busy operators who run leagues be a bit anxious about this new system. But again, I'm happy to pay my $1 (it's a few bubbles less in that pint glass for me).

Comment

[MENTION=11215]Mar[/MENTION]. I agree with the administration issue for new or current TD's. Lambo has made it look easy and it has created more work for him IMO. I'm sure he can comment. He is also VERY helpful in helping others. I think it is a great system and has worked flawlessly for the QLD comp nex week and not missed by many (the $1).

Makes sense about encouraging new players vs skill based. I've publicly stated I'm for skilled based comp but I'm still for encouraging new players. (that could be for another topic)
                          Pinball Meets...I love em

Comment

I'm sick of people saying it'll only go to a select few because I'm so rubbish I'll never win! Do you tell your children to stop playing the sport they might enjoy because they're not very good and they're never going to beat kid X who is awesome at said sport? No you tell them to keep try do their best and have fun!

To be honest I never thought I'd win Wildball! EVER! We have some of the best players in Australia playing in the league! We've got Mar, MUD, Dedrok, Brett, Cardini, Rawdon, Jagojp and others in there that are fantastic players! And you know what happened this year! I WON! It felt awesome! Did I think I had a chance to win yeah I had a shot but you know what I thought well Eddy and Brett are here I'm in trouble and then you've got Cardini and Rawdon well they grew up and love their EM/SS games I'm going to get smacked! But I held in there and had an above average game on eight ball deluxe in the final to pip Rawdon (I got to walk off too) for the Wildball win!

It's fun to compete and I don't think if you're playing in 60x comps that you're spending more than $1200 playing in said comps! So what's an extra 20% to help create larger pots at the bigger tournaments?
                            In: Houdini, Iron man, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
                            Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, RZ, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

Comment

If it brings in more players at comps i dont mind paying 1$ im all for it as for the 20 comp thing i dont think its a good idea the high skilled players will always be up the top no matter what before the lower skilled players could always be in with a chance due to enthusiasm
                              live between the flip and the tilt

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X