Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handicaps at Tournaments

Collapse

International Flipper Pinball Association (IFPA) is the International organisation which oversees and endorses competitive pinball throughout the world. All players who compete in an IFPA endorsed event have their placing ranked on the World Pinball Players Ranking List (WPPR).

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Saintsmaen View Post
    One option instead of handicaps for keeping people around is to not have half your contestants drink until they're on half a leg slurring and making people feel generally uncomfortable. Some people are there to actually play pinball.

    It's not great, and makes the scene look like the idiots you see at a Friday afternoon in a crappy suburban pub.
    True but unfortunately that's how and where these guys started their pinball experience.

    Comment


      #17
      5 minutes of game play and then the flippers go dead....Now lets see who wins. When we were teens playing 4 player games, if you held that ball trapped for longer than about 5 seconds, your hand was pulled away from the machine and you had the pleasure of watching your ball go down.
      You learnt very quickly how to make your shots on the run rather than stopping and aiming your shots.
      Don't know if this is how you guys play but it is the way I have always played pinball and have been known to have my name up in lights on quite a few pinballs on street sites over the years.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Saintsmaen View Post
        One option instead of handicaps for keeping people around is to not have half your contestants drink until they're on half a leg slurring and making people feel generally uncomfortable. Some people are there to actually play pinball.

        It's not great, and makes the scene look like the idiots you see at a Friday afternoon in a crappy suburban pub.
        So if Netherworld was in the suburbs you would then rate it crappy...
        Try playing a comp at 1UP - no grog at all....
        How do you propose that a shop / venue pays the rent with only pinball...
        Did you think about that?
        Wear some headphones and play your pins....and stay ignorant.

        Comment


          #19
          biggest handicap is not knowing what to hit or when to hit it,
          information and knowledge is progress and increasing competitiveness,
          pinball coaches don't exist,
          unless you watch those Bowen Vids or other similar vids,

          Comment


            #20
            Handicaps have merit, it works elsewhere.
            $20 an hour beer money coaching probably has merit also.
            the only person you cannot watch playing is yourself which allows deficits such as left flipper weakness to persist unchecked.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Saintsmaen View Post
              One option instead of handicaps for keeping people around is to not have half your contestants drink until they're on half a leg slurring and making people feel generally uncomfortable. Some people are there to actually play pinball.

              It's not great, and makes the scene look like the idiots you see at a Friday afternoon in a crappy suburban pub.
              Images for Saintsmaen


              Who is the 50% drinking here....?
              I'm not meaning to have a go but your image beer in hand comes up almost straight away on Google.
              And how many Pinball venues have a licensed Bar....?
              And how many Pinball events have been sponsored by alcohol...?
              I have been pulled up before by some that say it,s all about the Pinball not drinking? This particular person drinks at most events and should also retract their bullshit comments and concentrate on the thread at hand....
              I would appreciate your comments if they were related to helping but not when it's about personal opinion when it suits your current mindset and or changed lifestyle.

              Back on topic.....Do Not allow those Gooses that think it is all about them to have a say until they actually learn how to help. Not just whinge. Shoulda Coulda Woulda but you don't?

              Comment


                #22
                Park N Plunge ran a handicap system last Saturday social comp.
                Australian ranking top 50 got 20% from 51 to 100 got 10%.
                Three players had handicaps the overall winner going into the last round was on equal points with second place 1st had 50 -10% =45 second place had 45 points even if both players had won there last game with the 10% handicap still would have run second.
                I liked it as it made you fight a bit harder if you wanted to win.
                With the handicap you need to get off to a good start. A slow start makes it harder to run them down.
                I do hope Park n Plunge continue with it.
                Overall good fun and was good to watch newer players feel like they can win this event.
                Puts more pressure on the higher ranked players.

                Comment


                  #23
                  PnP will continue with this handicap for the duration of the non-IFPA points earning social season.
                  While I use matchplay software to run the comp, one thing is not knowing the ACTUAL points earned with handicap, so I need to look at a "quick" system to integrate scores into a spreadsheet for player updates.
                  Thinking I might make it even harder again (perhaps) ...
                  (Aussie Rankings)
                  1<>50 -25%
                  51<>100 -15%
                  101<>200 -5%

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by DAG View Post

                    Images for Saintsmaen


                    Who is the 50% drinking here....?
                    I'm not meaning to have a go but your image beer in hand comes up almost straight away on Google.
                    And how many Pinball venues have a licensed Bar....?
                    And how many Pinball events have been sponsored by alcohol...?
                    I have been pulled up before by some that say it,s all about the Pinball not drinking? This particular person drinks at most events and should also retract their bullshit comments and concentrate on the thread at hand....
                    I would appreciate your comments if they were related to helping but not when it's about personal opinion when it suits your current mindset and or changed lifestyle.

                    Back on topic.....Do Not allow those Gooses that think it is all about them to have a say until they actually learn how to help. Not just whinge. Shoulda Coulda Woulda but you don't?
                    You need to get to a melb meet

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by toads View Post

                      You need to get to a melb meet
                      I'm in, your shout.....Whats the address......Should I intend to Offend....???

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by DAG View Post

                        I'm in, your shout.....Whats the address......Should I intend to Offend....???
                        Im coming to you can pick me up on the way though
                        live between the flip and the tilt

                        Comment

                        Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X