Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aussie Arcade at the Pacific Pinball Exposition 2010- Check it out on PinballNews.com

Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for your comments.

It freaked me out a bit when Michael first told me I'll be talking at the Pacific Pinball Expo. I've never really spoken to an audience, clowned around yes, but no real public speaking since High school when I did a short stint in the debating team. I guess you can tell I was a little nervous and didn't have time to prepare a speech. It was pretty much ad lib all the way.

Michael wanted someone to talk about pinball in Australia and how Aussie Arcade has helped grow pinball in Australia. Knowing that I have met many people, through my travels, he really thought that I would be perfect for the job. I did my best to represent this wonderful site and the amount of effort that goes into it by the members to help foster a community spirit that is trying to help pinball advance.

It is fantastic how there are many active members here that help promote pinball in different ways for the good of Aussie Arcade and the greater community. In the coming months, I will be calling on many of you to help grow it further. AUSSIE ARCADE will be instrumental in playing a big part in PINBALL in Australia.

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

well done dano. I wasn't ever in any doubt that you would be stuck for words. how big was the crowd that heard you guys? was clay there? did you get his autograph? c'mon, c'mon give us the good stuff!

Comment

The Australian Pinball Association is a great idea indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by stuba View Post
          well done dano. I wasn't ever in any doubt that you would be stuck for words. how big was the crowd that heard you guys? was clay there? did you get his autograph? c'mon, c'mon give us the good stuff!
          Yes, Clay was there very for some of the talks throughout the day, though left probably when I started talking. I tried chatting with him a few times at PPE and in Chicago, but I found him to be quite different from his on screen (dvd's) persona. Still, a very nice guy all the same.

Pacific Pinball Expo's biggest drawcard is that they have such a huge collection of beautiful pinball machines and pre flipper games all under the one roof for people to see and play. They have some high profile people in the industry there like Steve Ritchie and Greg Freres and other cool people to talk there as well. Unfotunately, their formula may be a little off, due to the fact they leave the main hall open for people to play the games at the same time their guest speakers have their talks. Hence why you will only get around 50 people or so at the talks. The room is quite small in comparison to the hall they use at Chicago for the talks and banquet. We had between 20 to 30 people listening to our talk. Wasn't too bad compared to some other talks.

Pinball Expo in Chicago has a good formula that has worked well since probably its inception. Whereby, they close off the hall, where the machines are played, so that the speakers have a full audience to hear them talk. That is why you will get at least a hundred or two hundred people present at any given talk.

This is one area, a few people I spoke to thought that the organisers of PPE really need to look at possibly changing a little to give the speakers a better chance of capturing a much larger audience to listen to them.

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

time for you to name drop now danny!
            who else did you meet? what were they like? sounds like you spent a bit of time with pacak? did you talk to steve ritchie? did you spot the pinball ninja?

Comment

Originally posted by stuba View Post
              who else did you meet? what were they like? sounds like you spent a bit of time with pacak? did you talk to steve ritchie? did you spot the pinball ninja?
              What colour undies did you wear? what did you eat on Tuesday 16th for lunch? Do the US guys eat beetroot? .....

Comment

Hi Dan,

Sounds like you had a ripper of a time. Good for you. Were you gone about a month? Whew, what a trip!

Comment

Originally posted by rocky2 View Post
                  Hi Dan,

Sounds like you had a ripper of a time. Good for you. Were you gone about a month? Whew, what a trip!
                  Pretty much Yee. I arrived in the United States on the 30 September and arrived home on the 27 October. It was literally a roller coaster ride across the US, visiting the two big Pinball expos in San Rafael and Chicago and quite a few people and their pinball collections along the way. We also visited a number of amusement parks throughout the journey too.

Once I download and sort out the photos, I will post up a big write up on my "Pinball Pilgrimage to the US". Hopefully, within the next week.

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                  Working...
                  X