Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Warning to newbies about buying site unseen.

Arcade King

• Administrators

A nice chap came in today and brought his machine straight from the depot to us. This was an Ebay purchase he had shipped from WA.

IMAG0530.thumb.jpg.e59406089ef81734733e229dab333733.jpgIMAG0531.thumb.jpg.91d5895e5af457d27bcc45d5bc7b49d9.jpg

IMAG0532.thumb.jpg.0deb9608d1e5282d4b4a6baf6a16d30f.jpgIMAG0533.thumb.jpg.8928e61059224bc1f50ec235974429d2.jpg

This is just a reminder to newbies to the hobby to never buy a machine site unseen. The bloke bought this from ebay thinking he was getting a bargain which cost him over 2k including shipping to Queensland for what you see here.

I spent about an hour today going over the whole machine with him pointing out how much time, effort and money its going to cost him to get this thing running. As you can see its not pretty, not working and smells like a moldy sock.

I wouldn't normally touch a game like this just due to the unknowns and time but I felt bad for the customer and he's agreed to be patient.

For around the same money he paid for this he could have got a fully shopped and working game around the same vintage, lesson learned the hard way.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Even though it was a ripoff price wise it depends what was stated and pictured in the ad...

If it's different then he has a case with Ebay customer service

can we see the ad?

From what I was told by the buyer the seller told him it "was" working but stopped. He certainly wasn't expecting what he got.

From what I was told by the buyer the seller told him it "was" working but stopped. He certainly wasn't expecting what he got.

Yeah I found the ad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PINBALL-MACHINE-034-THE-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-034-by-Gottlieb-1980-99-Cents-NO-RESERVE-/162655884409

Spidey pin from May of 1980

Machine has been stored in a box and rugged up since 1985

A true survivor

In original nick

Sold as is seen in pics

Inspections welcome

Needs service rubbers and globes

Seller is a operator selling under different user account than his main one.

Sadly been bit shonky long as i been collecting and been stung my self with a "just needs a power supply" old line when was bit green

Shame when people get stung big as kills off the hobby for newcommers

That's the one, very misleading ad. :realmad:

3 of the leg brackets had to be replaced also just so we could stand it up.

false advertising more like it. pictures look like a younger more attractive version before it was left to rot away and turn into a doorstop

- - - Updated - - -

just had another look and I cannot believe that they are one and the same machine

That is nothing but a scam there is no way that is the same Machine as in the ad picture wise

The seller is nothing but a prick if he is saying that is the same machine as the one this thread is about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Administrators
That is nothing but a scam there is no way that is the same Machine as in the ad picture wise

The seller is nothing but a prick if he is saying that is the same machine as the one this thread is about

It's the same machine I can assure you.

trav @Arcade King do you know how he payed for it? if he payed with pp i would suggest to the poor guy to file a dispute

Not sure Tony, hopefully the buyer will join AA.

Damn that sort of shit Is so wrong on so many levels, Shame he didnt charge back the prick via paypal. that seller deserves it

This industry is really going down the shitter, You used to get people selling shit pinballs, but Unlike now it wasnt for the crazy money, People lost a couple hundred dollars before now its thousands

Needs service rubbers and globes

how misleading is that

his feedback has this comment on another pinball

good condition doesn't = broken parts, missing pieces & a fairy story full of BS

As much as the seller misrepresented the game and didn’t tell the whole story, the buyer has to take the blame for this.

What was the main motivation for the purchase?? buyer thought he was getting a bargain.

It was the hope that he’d get it cheap and it would just be a fuse scenario.

Greed works both ways.

Good luck with this one Trav.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

I disagree the pictures in the ad show a much better looking machine making the deal seem a lot better the actual, whereas the machine that turned up looks like it's just done in White House paint making it very deceptive

And I don't know about anyone else but $2100 doesn't sound like a bargain to me sounds like on the money for that sort of machine in good condition

I disagree the pictures in the ad show a much better looking machine making the deal seem a lot better the actual, whereas the machine that turned up looks like it's just done in White House paint making it very deceptive

And I don't know about anyone else but $2100 doesn't sound like a bargain to me sounds like on the money for that sort of machine in good condition

I thought it was white paint at first as well from Travis picture but i think it it just tje light shining on the grey making it look white. Not defending the seller at all but was a mistake i made when first looking at the 2 sets of pics.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Administrators
I thought it was white paint at first as well from Travis picture but i think it it just tje light shining on the grey making it look white. Not defending the seller at all but was a mistake i made when first looking at the 2 sets of pics.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not only that the leg bolt brackets were stripped in the same places and no art on the sides. The glass which I didn't take a pic of is identical.

Point of this thread is Newbies should take more care doing research before making impulse buys.

Well it looks like the same machine to me. :unsure

As Trav mentioned, the guy could have walked into the shed and left with a nice working machine for less than what it's going to cost him to get this game up and running reliably, but he took a gamble on trying to save a buck and lost.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.