• Time
  • Show
Clear All

payment made goods recieved all good
    Putting out the feelers for my next early Gotlieb project

Comment

Originally posted by puss1966 View Post
      payment made goods recieved all good
      ... so what payment path did we venture down?
      Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer....

Comment

Has anyone used Transferwise, I was thinking of using it if I could next time I had a PBR order?

Massively cheaper than a regular bank transfer (0.5% to send USD) and no getting screwed on the exchange rate on top of it either.

Comment

Originally posted by puss1966 View Post
          So does that mean going to my bank getting a US cheque made out to Steve and mailing him the payment? or is it done electronically through the bank? ...
          Yep that's what I do. The cheque looked like a "normal" cheque, but is in US$ and the branch address was Wall St. I post this to him.

At NAB they knew all about the process and were unphased by my request, it was far easier than I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
            Yep that's what I do. The cheque looked like a "normal" cheque, but is in US$ and the branch address was Wall St. I post this to him.

At NAB they knew all about the process and were unphased by my request, it was far easier than I thought it would be.
            That's handy to know, I bank with NAB, last time I did a WU money tranfer to Steve & he collected it personally, that cost about $30.00 I think a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by wiredoug View Post
              thats true! and its because you're the only one who wants them in some cases. its just not viable to stock 'everything'.
              My local is pinballspareparts around the corner so they are always my first stop. Sometimes there are things they just don't have.
              They haven't said specifically that they can't get them in from spr maybe I should just ask next time in in

Comment

I've done the cash in the post thing everytime and had no issues. It's a risk of getting lost but it works.
                Nothing like old school....and yes wrapped in a thankyou card.
                PINBALL gotta love it

"There's no such thing as too much bling" Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Sade_Rock View Post
                  ... so what payment path did we venture down?
                  I ended up going through Western Union they charged a $20 fee and it ended up being fairly straight forward.
                  But I must say I wish he kept up with the times and used the Same payment methods that the others use it would make life so much easier,
                  But on a positive note if you have made a previous purchase from him in the past he is such a trusting operator I emailed my order through he sent me a quote including postage then you just let him know that you want to go ahead with it, and he processes your order without payment and i received the parts about a week later with the invoice to pay, now how many dealers are that trusting to send orders internationally without prior payment first.
                  None that I know of anywhere so he really does look after his return customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Koops View Post
                    My local is pinballspareparts around the corner so they are always my first stop. Sometimes there are things they just don't have.
                    They haven't said specifically that they can't get them in from spr maybe I should just ask next time in in
                    I use Pinball spare parts as often as I can and they really do come in handy, but it's those hard to get Gotlieb resto parts that no-one else has that you have to go to PBR for

Comment

Originally posted by joker poker View Post
                      I've done the cash in the post thing everytime and had no issues. It's a risk of getting lost but it works.
                      Nothing like old school....and yes wrapped in a thankyou card.
                      So you actually get US dollars from the bank and post it in the mail, now that is old school

Comment

It's a little known fact that you can actually setup an account at some banks in the US without being a resident (i.e. no Social Security number). How do I know? I've got one at Bank of America. I set it up a few years back. Now there's a few caveats for these "Non-resident accounts". 1. You need to go into a branch, so yes, you need to be in the US for the 20 minutes it takes to setup the account. Go with your passport of course. 2. You need a local contact address for their records. That can be a relative, friend, corporate HQ address (in my case), whatever. I guess it could be one of the various mail forwarding services as well. They really don't care what the address is, just as long as it's a local one they can punch into their computer system. 3. For the BoA case you need to leave a minimum amount in the account otherwise there are monthly fees. I think from memory it was $300, but it could've changed. The staff will advise you of that.

When I setup mine I walked out of the branch with a temporary Visa debit card linked to my account (that works all over the world in ATM's and at point of sale). I received the final card in the post a couple of weeks later. Once you have the account then doing local US transfers is (almost) as easy as it is here in Australia. They do have 2 different ways of directing money between US banks (Wire Transfer and ACH), and you need to ensure you use the right method based on the account details you get from the vendor (eg PBR provides ACH account details), otherwise shit goes sideways fast. How do I know...?

Anyway, it's obviously not something everyone can do, but it is a viable option. I've used it a few times to get stuff I just can't get here, like 27" GTB legs. For the record you can get 8 legs into a suitably large suitcase and not go over you luggage allowance.

Hopefully this is of some use to someone..

Comment

Originally posted by pocketscience View Post
                          you need to be in the US for the 20 minutes it takes .
                          this bit is the show stopper..

Comment

Originally posted by wiredoug View Post
                            this bit is the show stopper..
                            For most, absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketscience View Post
                              It's a little known fact that you can actually setup an account at some banks in the US without being a resident (i.e. no Social Security number). How do I know? I've got one at Bank of America. I set it up a few years back. Now there's a few caveats for these "Non-resident accounts". 1. You need to go into a branch, so yes, you need to be in the US for the 20 minutes it takes to setup the account. Go with your passport of course. 2. You need a local contact address for their records. That can be a relative, friend, corporate HQ address (in my case), whatever. I guess it could be one of the various mail forwarding services as well. They really don't care what the address is, just as long as it's a local one they can punch into their computer system. 3. For the BoA case you need to leave a minimum amount in the account otherwise there are monthly fees. I think from memory it was $300, but it could've changed. The staff will advise you of that.

When I setup mine I walked out of the branch with a temporary Visa debit card linked to my account (that works all over the world in ATM's and at point of sale). I received the final card in the post a couple of weeks later. Once you have the account then doing local US transfers is (almost) as easy as it is here in Australia. They do have 2 different ways of directing money between US banks (Wire Transfer and ACH), and you need to ensure you use the right method based on the account details you get from the vendor (eg PBR provides ACH account details), otherwise shit goes sideways fast. How do I know...?

Anyway, it's obviously not something everyone can do, but it is a viable option. I've used it a few times to get stuff I just can't get here, like 27" GTB legs. For the record you can get 8 legs into a suitably large suitcase and not go over you luggage allowance.

Hopefully this is of some use to someone..
                              arrrg! where was this 2 weeks ago when i was in vegas

Comment

Originally posted by Koops View Post
                                arrrg! where was this 2 weeks ago when i was in vegas
                                Sorry man...

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X