Collapse

General Pinball Discussion.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 cents in simple context...

The power supply board is inherently faulty in respect of longevity.

Some components only survive or remain in tolerance within its commercial lifespan. After that, tolerance levels may be affected which can trip the watch dog circuit under load.

If board revision Mk 2.0 was produced by Williams, they may have separated the 5v supply in the same way as this simple plugin mod.

After adding the mods we may pose the question, Will the existing untouched ageing components with reduced tolerances cause any catastrophic failures to occur?

As long as the new 12v supply remains in spec there should be nothing major in respect of failure.

I believe that if the 5v threshold lowers to a certain point, all the solenoids jam on and start cooking everything, hence the watch dog circuit design to reset the game.

Then the answer is no… Nothing catastrophic will occur… This mod solves the 5v issue and extends the boards potential longevity…

Can it affect the rest of the games functions like reduced solenoid toque or dimmer lighting? I Don't know.

Any certified electronics techs familiar with Williams care to comment?
    Last edited by Finny; 19 May 2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

All,

Was asked on Pinside to offer a 4-pack of the new "Pro" version that detects under voltages that "would have" caused resets. Now both this new version and the original "Classic" version are available in 4-packs that include international postage.

-Rob
      -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

Comment

All,

Both the classic and pro versions of my daughterboard are now slightly smaller, single-PCB solutions. This change reduced the shipping weight enough that I can include four ezSBC 12 volt regulator replacements in the international four-packs for no extra postage. Soooo, if you want 4 daughterboards AND 4 regulators, add both to your Paypal cart before checking out. The regulators are $7 each ($28 for four); same as in the USA. You don't have to buy the regulators but I thought it would be a nice option since 12% of USA sales include the regulator. I don't sell the regulators without the daughterboards; if you only want the regulators visit my friend Daniel's site at ezSBC.com.

Check it out at my website (http://www.kahr.us).

-Rob
        -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

Comment

Hi Australia,

It has come to my attention that homepin has developed a knock-off of my daughterboard because of "limited availability" in Australia. I think this old thread demonstrates otherwise - I've made every effort to make my boards available to the International pinball community from my very first days of releasing the product. What's not reflected in this thread is that I have continued to make my daughterboard as accessible as possible in Australia. For example, I have a Transferwise account that allows me to take payments in Australian dollars (so, no PayPal) and when paid with that option I can still ship first class to Australia. Australia and Canada are the only two countries with this first class postage option - the rest of the world seems ripe with fraud. Sure, the good old days of US $8 shipping are gone, but I can still ship a daughterboard to Australia for US $16 first class or for US $34 for Priority Mail. Note that the Priority mail option is a flat-rate package that can hold 20 daughterboards - so organizing a group-buy can be an economical option.

Also notice that from the first days and continuing today I've described my board as a "WPC Power Fix" and not as a 'reset fix'. There are clear references to this in the technical details on my web site, in the credit dot article from 2014 and that theme continues today - as recently demonstrated in the technical presentation I did at the Northwest Show earlier this year in Tacoma, WA (you can see it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432704564 . My piece begins at the 1 hour, 30 minute mark). The homepin knock-off is marketed as a reset-fix product which is disappointing. The multiple power derivations in WPC era games are complex and marketing as a reset-fix is flat-out lying to customers because without some power supply maintenance reset problems can return eventually. It turns out pinsound is also marketing a knock-off and marketing it around a reset fix. Here again, they are lying to customers in an attempt to cash-grab via over-selling. That's just not my style.

Anyway, I'd ask that those who are interested in installing the power fix into their WPC era games to use the genuine KAHR.US WPC Power Fix and not some unlicensed imitation.

-Rob
          -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

Comment

I think your product is great, the original KAHR WPC Power fix solved a few issues for me when troubleshooting resets.
            Last edited by hotty; 3 December 2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

+1

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by newy16216 View Post
                  My wcs has started resetting after years of running fine , haven’t had a look in the back box for answers , have seen your boards on pinside for a while but the aus dollar always tells me not to pull the trigger ,
                  I got a spare if you want me to bring it to daves Xmas meet

Comment

That would be great , sending you a pm shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the homepin one the one pinsound started selling?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Comment

no there are now three options
                        I use the kahr ones and am happy with them.

I also get the boards done always, so more insurance for mods on the game loading it up.
                        Last edited by KJS; 17 February 2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Ok cool, I have only used Kahr so far and all has been great. Recommended.

Comment

I've searched long and hard for ways to help in this realm. And now I'm happy to report I've found a couple of ways to lessen the burden - check it out at my Australia-specific ordering page: https://www.kahr.us/AU.html

- First, you'll see pricing available in Australian dollars - cutting Paypal out of the transaction makes the processing measurably less expensive. Simply put, Paypal charges more for international transactions plus they use "spread rates" when converting currencies - We can cut them out by using my Australian dollar account for payment.
                            - Second, I've found a way to ship one board to Australia economically. The AU$ pricing on my Australia page INCLUDE this shipping cost.
                            - Third, the Daughterboard is now available as a self-assembly kit on the page. If you can solder a couple of headers to the board you can now employ those skills to for some additional savings. The core Daughterboard PCB in the kit already has all the surface-mount components installed and functionality has been tested. You only need to do the final header assembly and keying.

I appreciate all the positive responses in this and other threads concerning the two lower quality knock-off boards that others are having assembled in China.

-Rob
                            -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

Comment

I prefer the Homepin board. It displays the actual voltage on the digital display and is in no way low quality and a great price. No need to put Mike's product down just because he came up with a more elegant solution.

Comment

I prefer fixing the board and replacing the LM323 with a modern switch mode solution.

All the products above are great in a pinch no doubt.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X