Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

TZ vs STTNG vs JD

Sorry to be a pain in the arse but I'm researching DMD's and I only want to have to buy one (I hope) so I will be annoying you all with questions like this one in the future.

So what's the winner out of these 3 and why. Cheers guys.

JD for mind...very underatted pin..bang for buck nothing better imo. For only around $2-$2.5K great value.

Yes i own one, yes i am biased...great machine and certainly has plenty of modes.

As for annoying...its kicking my butt right now...grrrrrrr

For me the TZ is the most challenging of the three . I love the look of it and the idea of it's deep ruleset but haven't had enough game time on one to know whether I'd want one in my collection or not .

STTNG is a pin that looks OK and plays OK but I just can't seem to get into it . I'm not sure if it's the theme or what but this one isn't for me (may suit you though Brad) .

As mentioned above JD is a great bang-for-buck pin compared to the other 2 titles . It's great fun to play and that Deadworld planet thingy looks totally awesome .

Either way whatever one you choose you really can't go wrong .

• Administrators

Yep you really have to play them.

TZ annoys the piss out of me but I won't sell mine (too much time and money invested in it)

I prefer fast game play, Star trek has the best multi ball modes by far but is a side drain pig, JD is also pretty cool but I wouldn't want to have to shop one, TZ has a deep rule set but is the slowest of the 3.

Your asking about 3 totally different games, no point in comparing them, the only similarity is that they are all pinball machines.

Play them all, and buy what YOU enjoy the most.

Yeah I agree EB you're spot on, but the answers here are great and will help me a lot, cause it takes me months of bashing on a pin to fully appreciate it. I find it interesting to hear what people think of pins, especially comparing. I own and love love 4 pins, but I can say that I like certain things about each one better than the other so threads like these are all good info.

I think most people agree on things like speed, maintenance, difficulty etc.:)

Comments like 'side drain pig' are helpful cause I love pins that are mean drainers.

TZ has the most long term replayability and depth out of those three.

STTNG next, then JD.

Yep. So for arguments sake. If you were going to pony up for a TZ, why not throw TSPP into the mix as well. I'm basing this on a deep rule set and you'll be paying a premium for TZ compared to the other 2.

• Administrators

I have had JD for about 18 months (Trav, it was the my first pin shop job and all of those ramps up top are an absoulte bastard!). I find that it is a love it or hate it pin. I had people over for new years eave and two of the wives just would not leave Dredd alone. They played it constantly in preference to MM and Getaway both. There is no way I would give JD up at the moment. I love the dark theme, possibly because I love the comic too. TZ is on the Furball shopping list, but not at the expense on the Judge. I have played 20 games or so on Star Trek but am not a real fan of that title.

Interestingly JD seems to crop up pretty regularly on RGP as a "gee I did not think I would like this title so much" type of pin. There do not seem to be the people calling it "Judge Dreadful" like there were a year or two ago. I really think that some of the "pin snobs" might have been forced to look again and re-evaluate the title in a more favorable light.

Despite what I have said about JD, keep in mind that if you want a ruleset that makes for a complex and challanging game, then you need to be looking to TZ above most others.

Dave

then im pretty sure a few ppl will agree that JD is a bastard for side draining and going sdtm....:realmad:

Yeah, there is a BIG gap there in the outlanes. Gotta learn to nudge with ATTITUDE!

why not throw TSPP into the mix as well. I'm basing this on a deep rule set and you'll be paying a premium for TZ compared to the other 2.

TSPP not on my list the theme will never work with me.

TZ is expensive for sure (more than I thought I'd ever pay for a game, and it won't be hard for me to can the idea of paying that much). Have been researching bang for buck pins and a few higher priced pins have stuck their head in the way, and I'm just after some opinions. I'm going to play all the games on my list first if I can.

Your'e right about JD Dave being love or hate, but it seems to be getting talked about more favourably than not. Shit I love Gorgar, possibly my favourite game out of any pin i've played and a lot of people think it's crap/average so i can't be that hard to please. I just want a game that will kick my arse and I thought a widebody would be something way different to what i have.

I hate making decisions I'll end up going with my gut, picking one and just going with it. Seems to have worked for me that way so far. Cheers for the help it's been great.

Edited by brado

I prefer fast game play, Star trek has the best multi ball modes by far but is a side drain pig,

Far more polite than the names I call it:) Great game, but I find it very challenging (or is that frustrating) a lot of the time. Seems to me that you can be off on a shot by just a bit and the ball comes flying back at you down the centre drain or into the outlanes.

And those slingshots which actually have an angle on them toward the outlanes - :realmad:.

Haven't had much time on a TZ or JD so can't compare the 3, but I think STTNG is a very good game.

• Administrators

Bang for the buck will open up a new can of worms mate, that is for sure. I would add in Flintstones and Getaway, as well as Whitewater if you want to spend under 3K and get a very playable pin.

Dave

Bang for the buck will open up a new can of worms mate, that is for sure. I would add in Flintstones and Getaway, as well as Whitewater if you want to spend under 3K and get a very playable pin.

Dave

$3k and less will get you a nice machine at the moment that is for sure. I noticed there are only Wms machines in all the lists and probably for good reason. I'd throw Bram Stoker's Dracula in there as a very underrated and bang for ya buck machine as well.

Personally STTNG doesn't do it at all for me. I have toyed with the idea of selling my JD but can't do it just yet. It isn't a bad game at all and can be pretty difficult.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, look into what spare parts are available for your next machine. Machines with a licensed theme can be harder to get game specific parts for.

Seems to me that you can be off on a shot by just a bit and the ball comes flying back at you down the centre drain or into the outlanes.

EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

And yeah Dave and Talby, a fair few to choose from, I already have my bang for buck list sorted (I think), well, at least I know what i won't be interested in. If I had room for 2 machines there would be no need for this thread, but choosing only one widens the choices.

I have had ample time on all 3 pins and i always discount JD because of the lack of pops..

For the first time the other night i reached LITZ on TZ and boy was it hard work...TZ has a deep rule sheet and is quite complex. If you cannot relate to the theme or you are a casual pinball player then TZ is very hard to understand and play..

I own a STTNG and can totally relate to the theme...It is fast,complex,flows, has a wide variety of modes and a deep rule sheet.

At the same time any casual player can hop on it and understand what needs to be done...

As for JD it has it uniqueness to it. I love the designer J Trudeau games hence why i always try and give it a go but it is one of those pins that doesn't sit well with me.... I wish it did but unfortunately it doesn't.

In terms of complexity in regards to shopping it out or repairing, i think they are are equal in that department.

• Administrators
starting to do just that (with a lot of swearing :lol)

second thoughts maby i should loosen up the plumb bob :cool:

No mate, you have it all wrong.

Step one -- wind up that plumb bob

Step two -- slap the shit out of it.

One step or the other is no use at all. Gotta do both :)

Just watch FDDan play the pins mate, you will get the idea :)

Dave

I have owned both TZ & STTNG for over 4 years now.

You might not like TZ so try it first

TZ hard to get into at first but grows on you, its my favorite of the 2 but not by much

TZ has better sounds and artwork & a more fun theme

STTNG much more open and more flow

STTNG has the best multiball ever battling the Borg with your cannons and the Borg ship actually shoots back at you

STTNG side drains can be mean but so can TZ's - Pinbits sell extended side lane guides so buy these if side drains is an issue for you

Sometimes when I'm really playing well STTNG feels like the best pin ever

STTNG is probably as deep as TZ

STTNG video mode sux as its always the same

TZ has no video mode which I think is a good thing

Friends prefer TZ over STTNG but CV pips them all

TZ has never been working 100% for me - that bloody switch 26 powerball sensor never works properly

STTNG has been very reliable

So 2 very different pins which compliment one another very well but I could not pick one over the other especially if you only have room for 1

cheers Paul