Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Ever decided you would never do business with a specific dealer again?

No names please, but I'm wondering if you've ever had an experience with a dealer that made you decide never to deal with them again.

Seems every time I meet someone involved in pinball, they always have a story about someone they would never deal with again (only other hobby I've seen this in is cars).

Feel free to post your experience, but remember - no names.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a weird hobby...... when we feel someone has not acted in an "honest " manner we tend to get a bit upset.

Business is generally a process of getting someone to give you something more valuable (money) for another thing that is less valuable (their product or service). That's how they create a profit and stay in business!!!

We (in the hobby) treat it more like a family.

Commercial traders are in a business,

So misunderstanding are bound to occur!

My 2c

Luke

Nope, but its all a matter of getting to know the beast.

Leave me out of it EB :D

And have had no issues with any dealers....but have heard plenty of people that have, some with good reason, some that I wouldn't have held a grudge over.

It is a weird hobby...... when we feel someone has not acted in an "honest " manner we tend to get a bit upset.

Business is generally a process of getting someone to give you something more valuable (money) for another thing that is less valuable (their product or service). That's how they create a profit and stay in business!!!

We (in the hobby) treat it more like a family.

Commercial traders are in a business,

So misunderstanding are bound to occur!

My 2c

Luke

+1 what Luke said .

Try buying NIB,HUO and / or from reputable collectors .

Yes, I have had a bad experience with a dealer and will not buy through them again. In short things were stated that turned out to be lies, condition, damage etc.

I think most would have had some sort of negative experience with a dealer at some stage.

• Administrators

I have dealers that I prefer to deal with. I have some that I would rather not deal with due to some things that I have seen said and done. To their credit, I have NEVER been ripped off in a deal buying stuff from any commercial dealer anywhere in the world. I have had private sellers mis-represent stuff, but that is a different story.

It seems to me that the majority of problems with commercial sellers on the whole relate to complete machine sales rether than parts sales. Unfortunately it can take a bad buy for someone to really come to grips with the idea that they need a LOT of high res photos to accurately judge the condition of a machine before buying. Even then a photo may hide or accentuate a problem depending on light, angle etc. Regardless of the seller I would be unlikely to buy a machine without either seeing it i person, or at the very least getting a critical description from another member whos opinion I trust.

Dave

More than anything, threads like these keep me away from pinball.

It's no secret that AA has been focussed more and more on pinball over the last year or so, to the point where I'd say pin threads easily out number everything else.

BUT, every thread is full of bitching. Whether it's bitching about other pinball communities, sellers, the pinball community as a whole or anything else. It just seems like such a negative community from out side.

I've wanted a pin for ages. Originally it was the higher price of entry and maintenance that kept me away. But as I watch from a distance at more and more threads like these appearing every day, I have to say it's the pinball community itself that's keeping me away right now.

I'm probably going way off topic here. But I've got to say it gets pretty depressing reading all of these very negative pinball threads. It really sounds like a hobby and a community I want to stay well away from thanks to all the horror stories and internal bitchiness.

I can't wait to see the pinball forums full of threads like "How awesome is thus community?" and "I love pinball sellers!".

And people wonder why pinball is fading. If the community doesn't clean itself up, it'll disappear forever pretty soon.

• Administrators

It's no secret that AA has been focussed more and more on pinball over the last year or so, to the point where I'd say pin threads easily out number everything else.

BUT, every thread is full of bitching. Whether it's bitching about other pinball communities, sellers, the pinball community as a whole or anything else. It just seems like such a negative community from out side.

I've wanted a pin for ages. Originally it was the higher price of entry and maintenance that kept me away. But as I watch from a distance at more and more threads like these appearing every day, I have to say it's the pinball community itself that's keeping me away right now.

I'm probably going way off topic here. But I've got to say it gets pretty depressing reading all of these very negative pinball threads. It really sounds like a hobby and a community I want to stay well away from thanks to all the horror stories and internal bitchiness.

I can't wait to see the pinball forums full of threads like "How awesome is thus community?" and "I love pinball sellers!".

And people wonder why pinball is fading. If the community doesn't clean itself up, it'll disappear forever pretty soon.

People can play the political games if they want Elvis (I do not think that was the intention of the thread), but a better approach is to attend a few pin meets and get talking with other collectors/owners. I spent nearly half an hour at Rollerballs last night talking with Mick and Derrek about various repairs that they had done on machines over the years and I learnt heaps. Not once in that time was pin-politics mentioned. My advise to anyone looking to get a pin would be to avoid the political side of the hobby. On the whole prople are in it for fun, not scoring points for one side or the other.

Check out this thread, it might be what you are looking for.....:)

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=28177

It does not get any better than the help I received last November.

Hook in mate, you will not look back. Remember, arcade machines get lonely without a pin to talk to (and vice-versa)

Dave (who says Elvis should buy a pin...they are fun:))

Well isnt wasnt a negative thread until your post. Plenty of threads here to slap each other on the back for their pinball restos or acquisitions. Pinball is growing on AA, and AA is recovering from dark times really well. Yes old hurts dont go away, but no way are they going to stop this forum from being a great place.

Dont let this thread upset you, I believe the OP posted an innocent post not aimed at outing or bitching. If its your time to move-on then thats cool, or maybe you can just look at things differently and stay?

Also how many video guys/newbies come here just to build a mame cab, and end-up staying to get into dedicated cabs or pinballs? Quite a few :cool:

Unfortunately, that is part of living in a real world, Dan. No matter where you spend your money, be it on electronic gadgets or appliances or taking your car for service, for example, some people will ultimately have a bad experience. It is only natural for people to share their experiences with others. In some ways as a warning to others. Although, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else will have the same experience.

Nothing wrong with this topic and almost all who have chimed in have kept within the spirit of this thread. They have kept it objective and lighthearted. One exception has been Mr Tilt (there's always one :rolleyes).

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by Fair Dinkum Dan

Well isnt wasnt a negative thread until your post.

To be honest my post probably didn't belong in this particular thread. It was just a braindump of feelings I've had about various threads with reoccurring themes over the last year or so having read countless threads that were either started in a negative mindset, or ultimately degenerated into one.

And I do think the title of the thread is quite negative (just look at it). Instead of concentrating on positive things, from the outset it's about bad experiences within the community. The OP tries very hard to keep it nice (stating quite clearly that nobody will be named), but I feel it's inevitable that there will be names thrown around sooner or later and it will get messy.

Perhaps it's just signal to noise ratio. I too deal with communities that are massively negative from a third party point of view, but still rewarding to be within (anything open source is a good example). So I know how that can be when you're inside it and enjoying it, and someone from outside looks at it from a distance with only a surface-level view of it all.

One day I'll get a pin, and join the madness. For now I'll go back to silently reading these threads and observing the community from afar with great trepidation.

Sorry for the intrusion. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I am not 'pinball' involved ...so to speak, but i have a list of many businesses (inc one arcade related) that i no longer deal with....from restaurants to machinists! Just my personal pet hate is people that make their money by NOT being able to do their jobs, or live up to their promises as a business service or product wise.....especially when im paying!

Its a sad state that customer service is in these days, and its only that way because most people are too god damned piss weak to speak their minds when they feel they are being ripped off! Bargain, barter, haggle! Above all get what you pay for and if not then stick it to em or at least never do business with them again!

Grrr....really is my pet hate! People making money by doing nothing....bit like most politicians

:D

To be honest my post probably didn't belong in this particular thread. It was just a braindump of feelings I've had about various threads with reoccurring themes over the last year or so having read countless threads that were either started in a negative mindset, or ultimately degenerated into one.

And I do think the title of the thread is quite negative (just look at it).

Maybe the original poster can expand upon his reason for starting this thread, but I dont think he wanted to fan flames. By all means have a braindump, its good to let it out.

:cool:

Cause pinball is no.1.;)

And, what's wrong with this thread?

I find ANY talk about pinball negative or positive to be good and is always a good read because i'm obsessed with the shit.

In answer to to question, getting my first pin from a dealer sucked and i'll never go back. The machine is great, it's in good nick, it still works fine after 7 months of use, I feel the product was worth what i paid for it. It just took 6 bloody months to get delivered after payment, and that was after i haggled/pushed the guy via phone and email. I put some trust in someone and I got used, he should have paid me for the time/effort/phone bills it took to get the machine to my house. Man that was a long wait.

Grab yourself a pin Elvis. I may be selling one in a month or two. I can guarantee a good product with prompt service and a great price.;)

Cause pinball is no.1.;)

Amen, to that brother. :023:

Grab yourself a pin Elvis. I may be selling one in a month or two. I can guarantee a good product with prompt service and a great price.;)

And so can most dealers and sellers.

Most people are sincere and polite when dealing with one another. Especially, when there is money potentially changing hands. Things can break down quickly if a disagreement starts to occur and both parties cannot come to a compromise.

Personally, I have always been with the belief: "never burn your bridges". You don't know when you may need something from them or their assistance in the future.

We all make mistakes through life or have a bad experience when dealing with someone. Some, never get over it and carry old wounds and grudges. These can usually have a detrimental affect on how we then interact with others. Normally, not in a very positive way.

It can be said that they don't deserve a second chance, but who is the bigger person if you learn how to repair the damage once caused? Regardless of who was at fault.

Cheers,

Dan