Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

so how good is TZ anyway??

silverbak

Hi,

i'm new to this forum, I owned pinnies from age 16, sold them (about 15 years ago) but have now moved to a house so have room to start to own some again

so far i have a very, very good condition STTNG - fantastic!! Been thinking of getting a TZ as I hear so much about them. I remember not being impressed whenever I played one in a pub or something years ago. I have since had a chance to play one again but only for about 40 minutes - still not convinced and pinmame is not really like playing the real thing is it?

So how good is TZ anyway? I can see that a lot of you own one so am wondering if the hype over this machine is just the yanks getting carried away by the toys etc available for it or if the games is really that good when you get into it. I like a deep ruleset and consider myself a player (as opposed t someone who just hits the ball around a bit)

cheers

Its all a bit personal when it comes to Pinballs.. You want fast moving balls go with steve Ritchie designed if you want playfield play go with Pat Lawlor..These are Williams games.So can't say much for the others..its all like I say a personal preferance what suits your fancy you want lots of rules go the TZ if you want to shoot to thrill go earlier..just my two bits

I used to play Rocky and bullwinkle more than TZ when they they were in our local arcade.And my nerd friend was always in awe when I chose this game over TZ he would always say why don't you like this game ..Like it it yes but give me a few hundred credits to learn the game..

[big call]

Despite all the vagaries of personal taste, and variety being the spice of life, and... and... and... I believe TZ is the single best pinball machine ever made.

[/big call]

I say that because this one machine combines many gameplay elements not found elsewhere (eg from phantom flippers, powerball) with an interesting combination of shots (eg the camera shot behind the mini flipper) on a widebody playfield and within a particularly well-integrated and executed visual/audio/gaemplay theme.

Many other machines offer different and interesting player experiences. But I don't think any single machine is a better total package than TZ.

[big call]

Despite all the vagaries of personal taste, and variety being the spice of life, and... and... and... I believe TZ is the single best pinball machine ever made.

[/big call]

I say that because this one machine combines many gameplay elements not found elsewhere (eg from phantom flippers, powerball) with an interesting combination of shots (eg the camera shot behind the mini flipper) on a widebody playfield and within a particularly well-integrated and executed visual/audio/gaemplay theme.

Many other machines offer different and interesting player experiences. But I don't think any single machine is a better total package than TZ.

like I sid personal preference...Give me a hundred credits and I might love the game played it twice in my life but always been in the back of my mind.. Pinball is pinball so all games I love....

Give me a hundred credits and I might love the game played it twice in my life but always been in the back of my mind.

Fair enough. It's one of those games that does take a while to understand. Its rules are deliberately vague so that you have to 'explore' the machine.

(I still get awarded combo shot scores from time to time that I didn't aim for and therefore dont understand.)

There is no doubting TZ is a great game.. maybe one of the best but pinball has such a BEAUTIFUL history which cannont be ignored..To appreciciate the games through the history one has to feel the whirls and clunks of an EM, the Buzzes and Zapps of early SS, and the DMD of the ninties...don't think TZ or MM is the end all ( though its looking that way) ......

Pinball is Heaven

thanks guys for your comments and the link to the thread on this same subject

i know of a TZ in pristine condition, has never been on site and its current owner bought it in 1996 and over the last 10 years had it in storage for 5. I've had a look at it - no wear marks on the playfield at all - i mean nothing, not even the pluger kickout area - looks like its hardly been used

problem is he's asking close to $5000 for it. it does have quite bad cabinate fade & the diagnostics report the clock is broken. i think this price is too high but then again I wonder if i'll ever be able to pick one up quite like this agian. Does anyone know prices etc for TZs nowadays? if so is this pinnie overpriced?

yeah if the cabinet is faded its not worth 5k IMO

but if the playfield as seen such little action.. it could well be worth it mate

like the boys around here say, its worth what your willing to pay for it, and if your in love go for it and try and get decal replacements :)

question is will you regret paying the 5K in a week or months time? if not then maybe go for it

I am not so concerned regarding cabinet fade - have never played a pinball cabinet - I have played a TZ and if the clock is busted, it is not a fun fix - search "pinball lizard clock" on google. Odd name but he used to sell replacement boards for the parts that would get fried in the TZ clock - work out the cost to fix/replace and factor that in

Personally, $5k is a big ask for any toy (lets admit it, pins are toys) particularly one that is not in mint conditionand needs work and more money put into it

For $5k you should be getting prefect machine. Not fade, full shopped.

I just recently played a damn perfect one at Stars & Stripes Amusements in Brisbane. It had just been sold/waiting to be picked up for $6000. Alot of $$, but what a game!

I'm not sure what to do as he has dropped his price to 4.8k... no shipping costs as he lives nearby

Now there is another TZ on ebay from pinballmana ... has anyone delt with this guy before, is he honest? Also does anyone know of a cheaper way to ship these machines to Sydney

cheers & thanks ....so nice to have an aussie pinball forum!

I paid 2500 for mine a few weeks ago. Needed a new display standup near the slot machine rubbers globes and chased down a short in the playfied GI circuit, still needs a clock rebuild. Good cabinet great playfield. I don't know that it's the greatest pinnie ever but it's the best one I've played so far and don't regret buying it for a second, if one comes up for the right money grab it.