Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Getiing a Pin back from USA

Hope you have heaps of fun ,depends if want to ship the pins via sea or air ?

About $1600 -$2000 each for freight via air + GST

I'd only look at bringing back a collectors pin to make it worth the exercise .( at the right price)

Tony

pretty costly i import from china and theres shitloads of work to do, container can be shared with someone and works out cheaply,but to bring it out on your own can cost upwards of 600+ being our dollar is so low (just make sure you buy some real collectible ones) but a small container could cost you around $4000 to $5000 that might be the way to go cause you can then fit 20+ pinballs inside sell 80% of them get your money back and then keep the rest,the process should be done here so when you get there most of the leg work is done talk to a import agent and he will guide you on what you need to do,id buy some arcades like spy hunter and super punch out and pinballs i want to get as many kiss pinballs as i can like 7 of them how hard can it be they made 20000+ of them and they sell on ebay for the 800 mark the only problem is they are all over the states

with what 4wasp4 said, he is correct, you can either ship a container yourself, or share a container.

From the US.... it is EXPENSIVE to ship via sea, i work in shipping, and the freight rate (which is just the shipping company price to load the container on board, can be upwards of USD2000) there are a lot more charges involved, such as terminal charges, shipping company charges, customs broker (forwarder) charges and custom charges (including duties)

If you share a container with someone else, it will be a lot cheaper, as you share the cost, but it might take a bit longer.

If you're looking at just bringing one or two back, i would prob recommend air freight.

I would get the name of a decent forwarder before you go, and make some enquiries first.

There are charges from the US, and then charges in Australia. In all honesty, you will pay more for shipping via sea, than you will for the pinball itself.

If you have any questions about sea freight - PM me.... i only deal with China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan shipping, but i can help with general questions :)

pins are way cheaper in australia anyway, especially when considering shite dollar and shipping

I agree, I was looking into doing this myself cos I had a place in the states to store them and a mate who brings the odd container in from the US, but the whole financial meltdown thing has made it a bit risky for my liking. Better left to the pros IMO :)

I agree, I was looking into doing this myself cos I had a place in the states to store them and a mate who brings the odd container in from the US, but the whole financial meltdown thing has made it a bit risky for my liking. Better left to the pros IMO :)

When did you get a "mate"???

I thought I was the only one!.....:p

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this post back alive. I was just doing paper work for my own records for the pinball's I brought in from the states last year, thought others might be interested as most people seem to keep this information to themselves. I did them via sea, I let mainfreight handle the paperwork and aussie quarantine bent me over hardcore on fees.

I didn't do too badly on the simpsons, the other two were a disaster. The current US exchange rate is nearing very close to making importing machines from the US worth while again, but you really have to do a container full or at least a handful of machines or you'll end up in a mess like this.

Just a word of warning for those considering doing this, the whole process is a pain in the ass. I don't even think you can export them yourself out of the country without a US business or being a US resident. You'll need to get someone else in the US to organize shipping out of the country. Thankfully I married an American.

----------

Simpsons pinball party

Machine - $2758USD - 24th Aug 2008 (1.152669) $3179.06AUD

USA To Australia Transport - $807USD - $930.20AUD

Customs Charges - $303.73AUD

Bill from Quarantine - $503.03AUD

Picked Up Myself - Machine wasn't packed well, just on a wooden pallets, wrapped in plastic with a cardboard box over it

Total = $4916.02AUD

Resold = $5400AUD

-------------

Indy

machine $2125USD - Sep 4th 2008 (1.205071) $2560.77 AUD

USA To Australia Transport - $731.08USD - $881.03AUD

Customs/Quarantine/Delivery Charges - $981.02AUD

Total = $4422.82 AUD

Resold machine for $3300 a few months ago. $1122 Loss.

South Park

Machine - $1875USD Sep 4th 2008 (1.205071) $2259.50 AUD

USA To Australia Transport - $731.08USD - $881.03AUD

Customs/Quarantine/Delivery Charges - $981.02AUD

Total = $4121.55 AUD - Worth nowhere near that price.

Both machines were heavy due to being in huge crates. I got them delivered to my house due to being way too heavy for me to handle. Both machines were sent together all the way.

----

Now if only I could find a LOTR for $2500USD, I'd do it again.

Edited by Fry

yeah pretty costly,i import from china and i share a container on the way over but your fees are much higher i usually bring over $20000 worth of stock over and i cover a fair area of the container and that cost a fraction of what you paid, then again ive got an agent who does the leg work,i will bring some machines back from the us next year a few arcade cabs and a few kiss pinballs dime a dozen over theyre cheaper to bring them here than pay $6000 for one here a joke really,but il make sure i do my research before i bring anything over thanks for the info

I had to pay for the machines to be picked up at someones door in AZ and FL then freighted off to LA to be put on a ship to Brisbane. I think the USA domestic stuff was around 50% of the USA to Australia cost. I also just used an internet site for all this, didn't use an agent or shop around as my worry at the time was just getting it done rather than cost. I'd also suggest trying to get them fumigated in the US rather than Australia as the costs here are criminal.

I had to pay for the machines to be picked up at someones door in AZ and FL then freighted off to LA to be put on a ship to Brisbane. I think the USA domestic stuff was around 50% of the USA to Australia cost. I also just used an internet site for all this, didn't use an agent or shop around as my worry at the time was just getting it done rather than cost. I'd also suggest trying to get them fumigated in the US rather than Australia as the costs here are criminal.

I'm pretty sure quarantine would want to do it again here anyway regardless...

• Super Moderator

it costs about 6K for shipping a 40ft container (say 80 pins) = 75 bucks each..

a 20ft container say 40 pins is about 4K = 100 bucks each

it costs about 6K for shipping a 40ft container (say 80 pins) = 75 bucks each..

a 20ft container say 40 pins is about 4K = 100 bucks each

Its the charges depending on where you ship it from, and where it lands that screw you over. You also need to pay to get it to the dock at one end, and from the dock at the other.

GST is also super special. I love paying a tax on something that I didn't even buy in the country that happens to be second hand .. mmmm.