battery removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery removal

took of the back glass to remove aa battery but behold this machine dont have one.can someone show me what to remove and the best way to do it. from my 1984 black pyramid machine.i think i know which one it is but best leave it to the experts. dont want to **** up to early.

Hi Sniperalert,
    The battery is the blue cylinder on the bottom of the top left board.
    This needs to be removed at replaced with either an external battery pack (with diode) or supercap.

I generally install a supercap on the Bally MPU boards I repair.
    There is some more information on http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/index1.htm#battery

Regards Derek
    Always interested in buying Sega EM (1966-1976) arcade games, parts & paperwork

Comment

Originally posted by sniperalert View Post
      took of the back glass to remove aa battery but behold this machine dont have one.can someone show me what to remove and the best way to do it. from my 1984 black pyramid machine.i think i know which one it is but best leave it to the experts. dont want to **** up to early.

just remember it wont remember credits or any replay scores without a battery
      Australian Distributors for Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
      Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

Comment

if it looks in alright nick should i actually change it?

Comment

By the Gods YES

It is a cancerous time bomb waiting to destroy your MPU board.

A bit dramatic I guess, but it is gonna be bad. 20 year old nicad? even if it has been replaced, get it off the PCB at a bare minimum...

Cheers
          Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
            By the Gods YES

It is a cancerous time bomb waiting to destroy your MPU board.

A bit dramatic I guess, but it is gonna be bad. 20 year old nicad? even if it has been replaced, get it off the PCB at a bare minimum...

Cheers
            Jacob
            its coming off tomorrow then.thanks

Comment

buy a 3 aa battery holder and put a diode on the + side so it doesnt charge
              and mount remotely
              Australian Distributors for Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.

Comment

+1 on the supercap

Comment

ok so do i go super cap or 3aa battery holder? or which one will i be touching less often when i do this?(sorry if these are noob questions)

Comment

If you install the supercap, you don't have to worry about changing anything it the future. You just need to have the game on a few hours each month to charge, otherwise the high scores and credits will be lost. If you go the remote battery option and mount the case safely, you would only need to change the batteries once a year. Either way it is important to remove the original.
                    Always interested in buying Sega EM (1966-1976) arcade games, parts & paperwork

Comment

what about a computer type battery holder and 23mm flat battery, still with a diode, they dont seem to leak

Comment

Originally posted by Ballypinball View Post
                        what about a computer type battery holder and 23mm flat battery, still with a diode, they dont seem to leak
                        They are less likely to leak, but I have managed to have some that have.

Supercap is my recommendation for something that is going to be played at least once a month. No maintenance required on the supercap, nor do you need to figure out the diode etc. Just remember that the 1st time fired up it will need about an hour or 2 to get a decent charge.

http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au...roductid=R4996

is one kind you could use.

Cheers
                        Jacob

Comment

never seen these before

what are they used for?

Comment

never seen these before

what are they used for?
                            Heh, they are used in some newer circuit designs for maintaining cmos sram settings - just like what we want here on the MPU. They weren't really mainstream and available to us common folk until maybe 7 years ago. That and the usual CR2032 battery is cheaper is why they are not real common on mass produced items, especially stuff designed to last only 3 years (the avg. life of a lithium non rechargable battery)

I also used some instead of batteries on a 2 stage rocket a few years ago for the payload electronics, as batteries were too heavy.

Cheers
                            Jacob

Comment

I've been installing these on all types of pinball boards for a few years now with no problems.
                              I just tell people to change them in 5 years time and it's a simple job for them to do that.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X