Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Vale Yee Fong - AA users Rocky2 and founder of NZ Pincade. We lost a great mate.

• Administrators

I am absolutely gutted to pass on the sad news that one of the great workers and doers and best all-round blokes of the pinball community, Yee Fong, lost his long battle with cancer earlier today.

Yee was known to AA as Rocky2 and was the driving force behind New Zealand Pincade for a decade and a half. He worked tirelessly behind the scenes to make NZ Pincade the international success that it is, an event enjoyed by pinball friends from NZ, Australia, USA, Canada, France, Sweden, the list goes on. Yee was the sort of bloke who turns up to a pinball event like the Australian Pinball Expo or the Barn Meet a week early and works alongside the organizers to help make it a success. He worked on his own time and never asked for pay, except perhaps in the form a beer or two which most of us were happy to share with him. Yee seldom asked for much but often gave of himself.

To those who know him, we know that we have lost a friend the like of which is impossible to replace. To those of you who did not know him I think he may have been best described in the simple observation from one of his close Kiwi buddies when he said "I'm a better person for having known him".

Yee regularly opened his home to us all. We enjoyed great times there and I feel that it is proper to pass on our sincerer thanks to his family for all the times they hosted us so we could indulge our hobby. Yee's family have asked that news of his passing be spread and I only hope they understand the friendship and enjoyment that he helped to foster when he hosted an event. I hope that understanding might bring them some comfort too.

In particular we are thinking of Yee's family and his pinball Bro's in NZ. We all lost a special person in our lives today.

If you have a photo or a story of Yee please post it here. It might give us all a smile in a very sad time.

pc10.jpg.358e517e6d02c2d3514b59d5ba0a5208.jpg yee33_zpsbf041a31.jpg.92a9d79ce4818124e73d2e5ae635de87.jpg

Two pics from me. Yee on his verandah and most of the attendees at his home for Pincade 2014

• Like 47

This news has really struck a chord with me. I'm so very sad to hear of Yee's passing. I made new friends through attending Pincade. Catching up with Yee was always a highlight. You will definitely be missed mate but never forgotten. RIP 😥💔
  • Like 4

Really sad news and great words Dave.

Yee-man was an absolute rock star. I'll never forget those early Pincades at Hamish's place in Mt Eden because without those I would not have met and made some great friends and had such great memories.

I was reading some emails from Yee last week that dated back 12 years ago and he was very thankful when I gifted him just a simple item.

Condolences to his family.

Thank you Hamish.

Thank you Yee.

• Like 8

Well said Dave - you describes who he was and what an impact he had on everyone. He worked tirelessly and with other event in NZ and Oz. Incredible guy. Yee was the one who always "rested his eyes" as he would always say and we all got a load of laughs from it. Never forget his smiling face and the passion he had for pinball and his buddies. You will be missed by everyone you have touched.

Rest your eyes for the last time bro

• Like 14

Very sad to hear considering we thought he had the cancer demon beaten.

I for one can echo Dave’s fine words and equally attest to his dedication into making things happen.

We have all lost a good mate and I’ll have some great memories of my times with him going back to mega meat days. Especially the time when furbs and Yee had a bet and the loser had to piggyback the winner around Stu’s game room. Furbs won and Yee honoured the bet.

No mean feat if you know the physics.

We’ ll miss you mate. R. I. P:cry

• Like 11

Lost a real one today. I have so many wonderful memories from over the years - Yee was the type of person who was constantly giving, and knowing him made just about everyone's lives that he touched better.

There wasn't a single meet or event that I ran from the moment I met him, that he didn't attend, and in most cases, donated a week of his time to make it happen.

Lovely words Dave too. Also who are all those young blokes in the photos? :) I'll dig around and see if I can add some more to the thread.

RIP Yee. Gone far too soon.

• Like 9

Very sad news. Yee was one of those fellas you could just sit down with and have a great yarn. No pretences, politics or dramas, just a top bloke.

As Jas said, have fond memories of seeing Yee 'rest his eyes' on numerous occasions!

Thoughts with the family.

• Like 2

Great words Dave , really strong from the heart.

I am absolutely gutted , Yee is right at the top of my list of being the BEST person that I have ever met in my lifetime thus far !

From the time over a decade ago I first spoke to Yee via PM through AA then on the telephone to going to NZ for the very first time where Yee picked me up at the airport to attend Pincade number 2 I knew he was the most gentle , genuine , caring and friendliest person.

I was nervous and not confident going to NZ on my own BUT Yee had that knack that personality and genuine care where he soon had me confident and raring to go , the friendship started from there and I cannot tell you how much I appreciated Yee along with his beautiful family !

Yee would never allow me to stay at hotels , he hosted me at his house 10 out of 12 years I attended. He would never want my money or the gifts I bought as he was just that way inclined that he did what he did because he wanted to and with no expectation of anything as the friendship and passion of pinball was enough . He was exactly the same when I visited during a family trip one year away from Pincade where he had myself , my now ex wife and the kids over for dinner & games.

Infact when I lost my father unexpectedly whilst I was over there at Pincade 2014 his was support was unbelievable and he calmed me so well and got me a flight early next morning to get me home to the family which I will never forget!

There are so many other things to be said about Yee but as others have said .... His tireless work , efforts and achievements in this hobby has been simply outstanding and will never be forgotten.

I feel empty , gutted , lost and will always remember you Yee.

I will cherish our friendship forever and we have lost an absolute gem of a person that didn’t deserve to go so young.

RIP Yee my NZ brother , condolences to Pam and the kids.

Your Aussie brother Troy AKA Genie.

• Like 18

Great word Dave and from everyone else.

Yee was a one of a kind. I was lucky enough to have a little chat with him in 2020 to see how he was doing.

The best and most time I spent with Yee was the week loading and setting up machines for Expo. Always with a smile on his face and good things to say.

Always was happy to greet people into his home and make them feel welcome, even meeting you for the first time.

Ill never forget the first time i attended the barn at one of Leigh’s meets. Upon seeing Yee loading machines in wth the forklift, the very first time I saw him.

Thinking that he was one of Leigh’s lowly paid foreign workers 😀. How we laugh about it now.

He will sorely be missed and pinball wont be the same without him.

My my heart goes out to his family as well as all his NZ Pinball Brothers.

• Like 8

Well said Dave - you describes who he was and what an impact he had on everyone. He worked tirelessly and with other event in NZ and Oz. Incredible guy. Yee was the one who always "rested his eyes" as he would always say and we all got a load of laughs from it. Never forget his smiling face and the passion he had for pinball and his buddies. You will be missed by everyone you have touched.

Gutted...... 😢

356901069_2013-03-0917_07_47.jpg.9799d70579afbcfa4f3414d28217b961.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Dave for posting this and everyone's kind words, I will make sure Yee's family get to see all your messages of support.

The world is a darker place today without him, but it's clear he had a lasting impact on lots of people and he will not be forgotten.

ACtC-3eYAE0bXnhQjtp0u94ONClmwBlLAjvl4-dq7ZdQt6fwB_Pp-tKTaoJASxx1t7JosHCpg-WLN1_sco7te6qJ8ILZRAFBt9Q=w973-h1297-no?authuser=0ACtC-3fC_cAiLRRpOKj2AsEz6Jd3nEWx0_WmJVCejsnNS1YYaeA9qHK1uBONaoXPt5JiTyMUaS7ZhAVlk2kWh58trW8s1fpulFI=w800-h600-no?authuser=0

• Like 7

Thanks Furbs for those wonderful words and to all the others sharing their memories.

My condolences to Pam and family

I'd met so many great people through Yee and Pincade and all the other events around the globe.

I was a nervous noob reading about pincade on AA. i wanted to go but knew nobody. Yee was inviting and friendly. Years later I went to expo Chicago and Expo Sydney.

I'd wished for more overseas trips with my friend.😥

He taught me it was ok to go overseas to play pinball.

He also taught me how to shop and maintain pins this is how we first met I asked if I could help out in a shop job I was the guy on the rag cleaning. It was a great intro into the hobby.

Yee is a great friend and will be missed.

• Like 10

So sad to hear this news feel for his family at this time , Yee was a great bloke so welcoming to his home , his passion for pinball , arcades , and most of all people was special. I have fond memories of his hospitality in NZ .
  • Like 4

This news of Yee losing his battle with cancer hits me with a very heavy heart. My sincere condolences to Yee's family.

We have all lost a kind, caring, and gracious person. I had the great fortune to first meet Yee at the 2014 Australia Pinball Expo on my first trip down under. He was inquisitive and friendly to this Yank and invited me to Pincade Part 8 the following March where I got to meet many more Kiwi's and Aussies in his extended pinball family.

Specifically because of Yee's tireless efforts in organizing Pincade events, I received the benefit of his friendship and making many new friends on the other side of the world. It always amazed me how well he organized everything down to the tiny details which made these events a huge pinball success, and even better social gatherings where we all got to know Yee and see his greatness every day.

Yee's kindness was endless. He always opened his home for me to stay with him during the events. One of the most memorable times with Yee was during Pincade Part 10 in 2017 when he took the time out of his busy schedule to be my tour guide to the West Coast of NZ, taking me to scenic overlooks in the mountains, to Piha Beach to see Lion Rock, and to Muriwai Beach to have some good eats at the Sand Dunz Cafe. This is a picture of him at the cafe. I think it perfectly shows Yee's kindness and greatness through his warm, genuine smile.

I've been so blessed to have Yee positively touch my life and I have so many fond memories. I will miss you so much my mate, and will always remember you in this world and beyond.

Byron

5595f064a618a8c1f1c3013b7e6921c8.thumb.jpg.b3081d678ba89a1a9a558fd091451016.jpg

Edited by TheYank
Fixed special character issues in text
  • Like 12

• Administrators
Here are a couple more pictures. Yee being my tour guide at Lion Rock in 2017 and him having fun at Save Ferris in 2020.

I had not seen those photos mate, thanks for posting.

Thanks to everyone else who has posted something as well. Keep the pics coming please people.

Dave

• Like 4

Funny story.

At one of the Pincade meets at Willies place Yee came up to me knowing that I'm a car guy and asked me to take a look at his car. No probs! So we jump in his infamous little green station wagon and drive down the road and the car is wobbling in the back. I told him to stop and I jumped in the back. Off we went down the road again and I felt the wobble more in the back so I climb out the window to see the back wheel wobbling around and we stop. I thought it would be a bearing because of the noise. I grabbed the wheel and gave it a shake. What the! A little more than a bearing. Then Yee says 'oh yeah I had a flat tyre and a week and a half ago'. I pull off the hubcap and the wheels nuts are almost off! Lol. He'd been driving around all that time to work etc and obviously forgot to tighten them after changing wheels.

A quick laugh and tighten and problem solved!

Mad bugger. :lol

• Like 11

This news has really struck a chord with me. I'm so very sad to hear of Yee's passing. I made new friends through attending Pincade. Catching up with Yee was always a highlight. You will definitely be missed mate but never forgotten. RIP 😥💔

I couldn't agree more.

Great words from Furbs

As a Brisbane lad I got to meet Yee just a few times. The Barn 2019 and Pincade 2020 where I had the chance to visit Yees' home which we Brisbaneites stored our eskies between Pincade events. With welcome open arms we were invited into his home for a few games, drinks, and a few hours of general Chat at the end of Pincade 2020.

With a great view over the bay I felt as if I was a neighbor that caught up for a beer a few times a week.

His generosity and passion was second nature and was appreciated beyond words not just by our crew but by everyone who was lucky enough to meet him.

Those people that do the behind the scenes work like Yee are never appreciated enough. Or are never told how much they are appreciated often enough.

Yee if anyone forgot to say thanks it was only because you had us all having so good a time we didn't seem to have the time.

So to set the record straight.Thanks again. You will be missed. and you will definitely be remembered.

Rest In Peace Brother...

• Like 6