Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mr Pinball Next Gen MM Decals

Just looking for a bit of feedback....

I have repro decals on my Addams, FT and WH2O and they are excellent quality and you can feel texture or layers of printing when you run your hand over them - I'm guessing they're screen printed or similar process??

I just bought a set of Next Gen decals from Wayne for my MM and they are digitally printed and not screen printed. They are just not as vibrant and sharp with the colours and images. I have previously bought MM decals from Wayne maybe 12 years ago (before the Next Gen branding I am sure) and these new Next Gen ones are just the same. I was expecting Next Gen to be the same high quality as other screen printed cabinet decals on the market and not just digitally printed decals.

I just want to know is this what the Next Gen decals are, just digitally printed decals? Anyone else bought MM cabinet decals from Wayne or other suppliers and have some feedback?

I don't mean to be harsh on Wayne's decals but I guess I am just a little disappointed with them. They do seem to be quite durable though which is good and if this is all that's out there, then so be it.

As far as digitally printed decals go, these are probably pretty good, they're just not screen printed.

This is a description I found for Next Gen decals....

Next Gen decals result from a professional printing technique using proprietary approach to make printed artwork look as if it were silkscreened and very resistant to wear, etc. Next Gen decals are made using UV resistant inks as well as high in color content, and have a raised ink. This is adhesive backed material with a backing liner for installation using either a wet or dry installation method.

I guess the MM decals are probably just as the descriptions above says. I don't mean to be harsh on them but I was hoping they'd be the same quality as other "licensed" decal reproductions that I'd bought.

I can help Mark. Just sell me your MM:D

Is that the same one you bought from QLD all those years ago and gave it the works?

Yeah Jeff the same game. I think I bought it back in 2006 and was a bit rough when I got it - shipped straight from the container :) We were selling our house back when I was doing the decals for the 1st time around 2009 or so. I remember my wife said I had an hour to get the decals on and everything tidied before we had a house inspection. I was never happy with the job I did so always wanted to do them properly.

Yeah Jeff the same game. I think I bought it back in 2006 and was a bit rough when I got it - shipped straight from the container :) We were selling our house back when I was doing the decals for the 1st time around 2009 or so. I remember my wife said I had an hour to get the decals on and everything tidied before we had a house inspection. I was never happy with the job I did so always wanted to do them properly.

I remember when you bought it from Under.. and when I came around to see what you had bought and paid twice as much as a FishTales was at the time.

I looked at it and said you paid WHAT!!!

Your reply was, it is supposed to be a pretty good game (hindsight)

The cab was pretty rough but you spent a lot of man hours on it and when you had finished it it was the best looking MM in OZ.

I think when dan and I came around to help pack the games you where still messing the the AFM with the ceramacoat PF. Could be wrong o the that one.

Have you still got a hidden jack Daniels fridge? :)

Apologies Mark for the thread nostalgia derail ;)

All good Jeff. It's been 12 or so years and a different house and state since I last worked on this game so everything to do with it is nostalgic for me. And it's not as cool as the hidden JD fridge but it's a full size bar fridge these days :)

• Like 1

Most digital printers print on Gloss vinyl with a short adhesive life, 1-3-5 year, and are a dead flat image, without protection will scratch easy and chemicals will make the ink run.

So they over laminate them with a gloss or matt contact.

Next Gen Don't use coated Vinyl, we use the same pressure sensitive vinyl used by williams on original games, stick like shit to a blanket and normally need a belt sander to remove or a heat gun.

Then it has a Liquid Clear over the art to protect it.

Screen print ink is really thick and separate colors overlapping which gives you the raised print.

Next Gen used a 3 head machine and Next Gen Version 2 uses a 6 Head machine, not as raised print as Gen 1 from 15 years ago

MM is actually CMYK as with most wpc 95 games where the others you mentioned were all separate PMS colors which would have more of a raised print both screen printed and next gen compared to MM or newer Decals that used CMYK

I am really dissapointed with the latest set of Next Gen decals I bought from Mr Pinball.

The texture is not there, the blacks are off and the material ( while not technically measured) felt alot thinner.

I have done lots of restores now in both Next gen and digital prints etc. I went with Next Gen on my personal latest TZ, even though I had other less expensive options like gloss or custom, because I wanted the texture on this title. Didn't happen.

I contacted Mr Pinball and was simply told, nothing has changed etc. But having done enough now I know they are not as good or the same I have recieved before for games like Champion Pub, Getaway, CV etc.

I was really happy with all of the previous sets I bought here with the exception of BK2000 door decal which had some alignment issues.

I wont be buying again. If I want texture I will probably pay even more and get them in from overseas. Really disappointed.

• Like 1

I am really dissapointed with the latest set of Next Gen decals I bought from Mr Pinball.

The texture is not there, the blacks are off and the material ( while not technically measured) felt alot thinner.

I have done lots of restores now in both Next gen and digital prints etc. I went with Next Gen on my personal latest TZ, even though I had other less expensive options like gloss or custom, because I wanted the texture on this title. Didn't happen.

I contacted Mr Pinball and was simply told, nothing has changed etc. But having done enough now I know they are not as good or the same I have recieved before for games like Champion Pub, Getaway, CV etc.

I was really happy with all of the previous sets I bought here with the exception of BK2000 door decal which had some alignment issues.

I wont be buying again. If I want texture I will probably pay even more and get them in from overseas. Really disappointed.

Exactly the same experience here.

I've re-decalled dozens of machines over the last 15 yrs and the recent stuff is crap, too thin and stretches very easily.

Will never use again, would rather get decals from ANYWHERE else.

Exactly the same experience here.

I've re-decalled dozens of machines over the last 15 yrs and the recent stuff is crap, too thin and stretches very easily.

Will never use again, would rather get decals from ANYWHERE else.

I have seen stretching from other sources and the best way to avoid that is to buy the decals well ahead of time and let them settle before application.

New freshly printed vinyl is very stretchy and a PITA to apply.

• Like 1

Agree the stuff from Eu is shocking ( but only source for some titles) and stretchy as well. But locally, stuff I have had done on air release vinyl with gloss, satin or matte laminating can be applied same day not an issue at all.

I would challenge Wayne and his 100k+ worth of printers to a 'print off' any day of the week. I have had his new stuff in my hands and it is rubbish. I had someone from this forum message me a few days ago about trying to fix some of his decals up and he sent me close up pics. I just lol'd.

Up the game Wayne!

Have you seen some of the other rubbish being printed here in Oz? Most complain about the texture, but what's evident is poor colour matching, bleed and low resolution. Will take Wayne's stuff again over any of the other stuff I've been shown from other pinheads thinking they're saving a buck only to be disappointed.
  • Like 1

Its not about saving a buck for me..its the result after all my effort and work. Couldn't care less on cost.

I'd happily pay 400 a set for next gen if they were the quality of a few years back.

I would challenge Wayne and his 100k+ worth of printers to a 'print off' any day of the week. I have had his new stuff in my hands and it is rubbish. I had someone from this forum message me a few days ago about trying to fix some of his decals up and he sent me close up pics. I just lol'd.

Up the game Wayne!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I have been making Decals the same way for more than 15 years using both Original Williams art files and redrawn where no original files are available.

Same Printer, Same Ink and same Vinyl during that time.

There is no other method other than screen print that will produce a raised print regardless of who or how they print it without the use of a UV printer.

No Water based or solvent inkjet printer will produce a raised print.

Art issues of lines or registration etc have nothing to do with the printing quality Ink or vinyl.

Out of more than 500 sets of decals a year, we are lucky to hear from 1 or 2 with an issue,

So if you have my decals and don't like them, think they are too thin, too red or too yellow or to bright or too dull, too glossy then please send them back for a Full refund and move onto someone else you do feel all warm and fuzzy about.

• Like 3

I have applied decals from many different sources including Wayne’s.

In the end what makes the most difference is the cabinet prep, second to that is the skill and method used by the person applying the decals.

I will say that one set of Wayne’s decals that I applied were 9 years old and went on as good as or better than any others.

They would have been the good versions then being that old !

Anyway, seems this thread is off the rails a bit now and a lose lose situation. Wayne will never admit anything needs fixing or attention, I won't use his again till they are as good as previously done, and you are happy with them Boots and glad you have skills.

At least we all have had our say and people can form their own opinion.

I truly hope the local option gets to the same level it was previously as they were great. But would need to seem some proof before ever buying again locally.

Sadly I know there are alot of other current unhappy people but they will never drop a comment for fear or the drama..or frankly could just not be bothered.

• Like 1