Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Localised Pinball Transport Sydney, Central Coast, Hunter, Newcastle and Surrounds

Benny

Afternoon all,

Looking for some honest feedback and thoughts, on something in which I have been contemplating doing for some time now, so here goes.

Is there many pinball sales that occur and need delivery between say Wollongong and the Hunter Region? From what I see, majority of sales are interstate and that is where Bill comes in most of the time, but would there be enough sales between these areas to have a same day/next day service if i was to offer that? I would be looking at doing this most afternoons and weekends where it would pretty much be a door to door DIRECT service, and you would not be left waiting for a typical transport company to complete the job. I would be happy to assist with wrapping and moving the machine, similar to what Bill does, even help setup where needed. So basically a local personalized delivery service of pins. Even picking up machines from AMD for example, and bringing your new pin straight to you without the stress and hassle of having to wait days for a transport company to do this.

If there was interest, and enough work to do this, second of all would the community be comfortable with the pinball on the back of a ute for an hour or so? I have picked up most of my machines and even delivered some I have sold this way and personally never had a problem, obviously i would only be doing this when the weather is fine and the machine would be completely wrapped regardless for piece of mind, but since I could only get one pinball on at a time it would be going direct and arriving within a very quick time frame, based on the areas i am looking at servicing.

Being a part of the AA community i have bought and sold pins now for many years, and know many members on here through doing so, so knowing that i have experience with handling and transport of machines, again would this be feasible and would people be interested in me doing so?

I would be happy to set up a Facebook page with constant updates, check ins and the like, so everyone has an up to date status of where i am at all times and are not left wondering, with ample notice when arriving for pick up and delivery also

I am not too sure if there are already already other people or companies that solely offer this, so if there is i am not trying to step on anyones toes, just basically putting my thoughts out there and it will be determined by the response I get back

If the majority is onboard, my last question is what would people expect to be paying for such a service considering you could have a newly purchased pin delivered within 24hours of purchasing it

Hoping to get some valuable feedback and will go from there :D

I think your problem is going to be it’s a single pin vehicle so to make it worth your while you’d have to charge quite a bit for pickup and delivery unless you had a pin going both ways eg newcastle to the gong and back. If you were just going to the gong and back that’s a 5 hour trip just driving plus pickup and drop off you’re now looking at a 6-6 1/2hour turn around. For that kind of service you would have to charge about $500 to make it worth your while which is probably too much. You can hire a Ute for a day and be sorted for well under that. To me that kind of $$ mark is too much. I’d probably pay $100-150 from Newcastle to Blacktown or the gong to Blacktown but not much more. But that’s me and I’ve got a vehicle that I can transport pins in so I’m ok with doing that drive
  • Like 2

Appreciate the feedback, that is why i want to establish if there are enough sales that happen between the region i have listed to make it worthwhile. Just doing a one off delivery here and there depending on location is not ideal but still doable. Unfortunately for most in this hobby not everyone is fortunate enough to have a vehicle in which they can safely fit or at least move a pin. Let alone go and pick one up with work and family commitments and what not.

I was looking more around the $250 mark, which is what i have been charged in the past for a machine to be picked up from Sydney and taken to the Central Coast and that did not include wrapping the pin or any setup whatsoever, i also had to wait over a week after i purchased the machine for delivery to become available. If there was any local deliveries, I would be obviously be happy to charge a lower rate.

Hiring a vehicle for the day will pretty much cost you close to that, if not more depending on what day of the week it is of course, and you still have to wait for the vehicle to be available, so i guess there is positives and negatives to both really. If you were to ring a transport company and request a direct service you would be looking at close to double that amount and the driver would definitely not be wrapping the item, and i doubt have any idea how to safely move a pin due to the nature of the item (no disrespect to couriers)

It just an idea at this stage, you have to start somewhere, happy to give it a solid go if people would like the service and go from there, and possibly look to up size vehicle if there is enough work in a smaller geographic location. Still looking for everyones feedback

Id def consider using depending on price but I dont turn over my pins a lot and have pd for transport 6 times in the last 2 or so yrs. Just as an FYI Rod charges $100 for local delivery and set-up for new pins from AMD
  • Like 1

Id def consider using depending on price but I dont turn over my pins a lot and have pd for transport 6 times in the last 2 or so yrs. Just as an FYI Rod charges $100 for local delivery and set-up for new pins from AMD

Don't forget though, delivering a new machine from AMD it is already packed in a box, it more then likely gets loaded in his vehicle by AMD staff, he does not have to spend substantial time at the pick up moving the machine, taking the legs off, wrapping it, taking it down a steep driveway ect ect

These are definitely things that need to be taken into account. The stories i have heard from others who have attempted this in the past and what lengths they have had to go to, to get a pin out of someones house, i quite personally don't think they charge enough, but that is just my opinion

I think it would work.

I have people contacting me to do it sometimes and pass it up, I would be happy to give any leads your way . Would also be good to get in with Ken to get his machine repairs delivered to him as hes close to you.

Rod does amd delivery’s in Sydney and central coast , but I don’t think he likes going to central Coast and Newcastle.

Central coast to Newcastle and Sydney $150 to $200

Newcastle to Sydney $200 to $250

If people want quick turn around charge more

Good luck let me know if you get up and running

• Like 1

I think it would work.

I have people contacting me to do it sometimes and pass it up, I would be happy to give any leads your way . Would also be good to get in with Ken to get his machine repairs delivered to him as hes close to you.

Rod does amd delivery’s in Sydney and central coast , but I don’t think he likes going to central Coast and Newcastle.

Central coast to Newcastle and Sydney $150 to $200

Newcastle to Sydney $200 to $250

If people want quick turn around charge more

Good luck let me know if you get up and running

Thanks Joel, appreciate the response mate!

Those rates are for a brand new, securely boxed machine, that involves no labor, packing/wrapping supplies, or extended periods of time at pick up and delivery also. Also has to fit in with his work schedule i believe.

Good advice and feedback there mate, appreciate the support and will definitely be in contact as i am looking to start asap

Good idea! I think there would be a lot of interest as a lot of machines are being bought and sold at the moment. I sometimes have had clients who need to deliver their machine to me for repairs but are unable to do it themselves. Having a service I can rely on to do that would be useful.

Making it economically feasible would be the hard part. Bill makes a motser because he does van loads at a time and is constantly on the road. If someone in Sydney asked you to do a local delivery, you'd have to drive here from the Central Coast (several hours) and then pay for your petrol, time and packing materials. But hey, if you can make it work, all the better.

Keep us updated.

• Like 1

What are you hauling them in? Best if you could do a weekly run or 2 & do a few at once.

I had an empty van at Kens the other day & there was a pin there that Ken wanted gone but guy hadn,t been to pick it up yet.

I Told Ken & he told old mate I would drop it at old mates place who lived nearby me (40 mins drive away, One way). for $30. The Arse clown said No & went & got it in a trailer at a later date :unsure

What are you hauling them in? Best if you could do a weekly run or 2 & do a few at once.

I had an empty van at Kens the other day & there was a pin there that Ken wanted gone but guy hadn,t been to pick it up yet.

I Told Ken I would drop it at old mates place who lived nearby me (40 mins drive away, One way). for $30. The Arse clown said No & went & got it in a trailer at a later date :unsure

Wow. “$30 what a rip off� /s.

That’s an absolute no brainer for $30. They really missed out.

Depending on how much work there is, a local delivery in Sydney may be quite doable for a reasonable price if i was already down there dropping a machine off or picking one up, there is a lot of factors involved, i do not want to jump the gun at the moment, but indeed another factor to consider.

Edited by Benny

Nice idea but I think it will be a challenge to be competitive on shorter runs. Bunnings UTE hire for a day and let’s say 300kms mileage excluding fuel costs is around $100.

Also, unless something has changed recently, AMD prefer to unbox and test machines and deliver unboxed, at least within Sydney (for the $100). For my first machine, Bruce delivered himself, with it on legs, wrapped and strapped on the back of a UTE. We carried it in and Bruce set it up. Second one Rod delivered in a van and put the legs on before we carried it in and set it up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update regarding my first post,

Its been full steam ahead with things, just need to finalize a few more insurances and should be ready to go by the end of the week, or early next week. I have created a Facebook page, which i have not shared yet, but feel free to like and share my page and show some support which would be greatly appreciated, as i am starting off small with the intention to go bigger depending on how things go.

I will be trading under the name "Pinballs Direct" (a search on fb will locate my page) and will be fully insured, meaning all machines in transit will be insured for what they are worth. I think this is something that is overlooked and not even taken into account when people load a machine into their own vehicle for transportation, or have someone else handle and deliver their machine to them, they may automatically assume their machine is covered for its full amount in case of an accident, when in actual fact it is not. I hope this gives you guys piece of mind

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Why can't we support and follow you here?

You can, will just have more content and info on my fb page as it is a lot easier for me to keep people updated through it, either way appreciate all the support i can get :023:

Hi Benny, I think you might be onto something. I have a Nugent and Flash that I'd like Ken to give a 'check up'. In the past I have driven from Epping to Lake Macquarie to drop off, then drive back home, then drive up to collect, then drive home. Having someone pick up, take them to Ken, then pick up from Ken when done and return to me sounds very convenient. If you could line up others using Ken, you might be able to always have a backload. What sort of cost would I be looking at?
  • Like 1

I Told Ken & he told old mate I would drop it at old mates place who lived nearby me (40 mins drive away, One way). for $30. The Arse clown said No & went & got it in a trailer at a later date :unsure

Dickhead to say no to $30? There are idiots out there, plus the bouncing around in the trailer?

Hi Benny, I think you might be onto something. I have a Nugent and Flash that I'd like Ken to give a 'check up'. In the past I have driven from Epping to Lake Macquarie to drop off, then drive back home, then drive up to collect, then drive home. Having someone pick up, take them to Ken, then pick up from Ken when done and return to me sounds very convenient. If you could line up others using Ken, you might be able to always have a backload. What sort of cost would I be looking at?

Have sent you a pm mate,

There are a few techs up this way that i would be happy to work in with, i do know they receive a lot of phone calls from people in Sydney who simply are unable to get their machine to them