Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball

no, just no. not a good investment.

pricing has 2 components

(a) base value that its actually "worth" .. this goes up with inflation.. no real gains unless you get lucky with (b)

(b) the inflated value collectors and fans are willing to pay (ie.. the price to get one at all, not the market price of a selection). this is attractive on some games but could pop at any time.

the collectors driving up B get old, lose interest, pass on, buy a caravan or harley instead... whatever. demand will drop and might even disappear. (we've seen this with EM's already .. the rest are coming)

at the moment supply is mostly affected by people stashing games in private collections and garages. they're out there. go hunt one down and enjoy it dont dont "invest in them".

• Like 7

Ha. Thanks for your sage advice. I thought the same. Not a good investment. Has tangible benefits though with the enjoyment from playing. But limited market with limited supply and limited demand also. All the best with your Harley ;)

Not an investment, however out of dozens of games I've only lost a largish amount when I bought from a retailer - my first DMD game. The rest, in hindsight, TZ, Totan, SS, MM, every EM I've owned, etc I've sold at far less money than they're worth now

No, pinballs do not hold value over inflation, they are not something to invest in.

Gottlieb Joker Poker $1800 - today that's $9,451

Bally Dolly Parton $2650 - today that's $12,751

Data East Simpsons $6250 - today that's $12,524

Bally Twilight Zone $7800 - today that's $14,739

Williams Indiana Jones $8100 - today that's $15,305

Sega Godzilla $8450 - today that's $14,427

Stern Simpsons $6000 - today that's $8,749

• Like 1

@Brk_oth Thanks for the math. Makes it very easy that inflation wins out. Probably hold value but your money is worth a lot less. So th8nk you are doing ok when you are doing worse. But tangible benefits keep me interested and most other people too. Not in it to make money or invest my money in them. Just wanted bit of an idea if better off flushing my money down toilet.

essentially pins should double in value in 50years to keep up with inflation. Which they aren’t

anyway back to my problem. Looking for Em pinballs, all machines and offers will be considered. I’m not a TYRE kicker

Edited by hvc01
More info

No, pinballs do not hold value over inflation, they are not something to invest in.

What's the start value, at past date of some sort. Thanks

What's the start value, at past date of some sort. Thanks

When they were released - Price when new.

Talking as an investment, you're talking long term, hence buying new was what I interpreted it as being the most important example.

2nd hand market constantly fluctuates, right now there's a high for those who bought earlier but definitely not something to invest in.

• Like 1

Decided to buy from retailer from overseas. Much less hassle than inspection and negotiation. Hopefully more luck too.

Hmm a new stern? How are they doing warranty for a “usa to overseas� sale as it’s not via the local distributor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Koops just frustrated with lack of supply and market prices so I thought going to the source would be best. in hindsight I would use the Aussie distributor like you mentioned. Prob even less hassle that way. I don’t use fb so cannot access any other sources except as, gumtree and ebay. Any advice much appreciated if you have any pearls of wisdom.

When they were released - Price when new.

Talking as an investment, you're talking long term, hence buying new was what I interpreted it as being the most important example.

2nd hand market constantly fluctuates, right now there's a high for those who bought earlier but definitely not something to invest in.

Thanks that's what I thought, I just didn't realise the Tz was that much nib. This is what has me fucked with today's buyers and sellers. My used Tz didn't cost anyway near that price, granted condition wasn't nib, but in my day you expected to pay less than nib price. Today sellers expect you too pay nib plus their initial shipping. That's where the used market has lost me

I always valued the nib experience at about $500, just like driving a new car out the lot. Warranty isn't transferable I think, so that's another what $500, and then you played for x games. Does not sit right by me and so if I'm pay nib prices, I'll buy nib.

don't get me wrong I'll sell for these silly prices and have, but I don't buy with one exception. Lucky for me is I play my games so you won't see me listing only 50 games played, more like 5000 plus lol

• Like 2

House ownership is good but you do realise you pay twice the original price in interest and most people draw on any equity so get nowhere. End up as grey nomad with no fixed address holiday in gin cape york

Thanks that's what I thought, I just didn't realise the Tz was that much nib. This is what has me ****ed with today's buyers and sellers. My used Tz didn't cost anyway near that price, granted condition wasn't nib, but in my day you expected to pay less than nib price. Today sellers expect you too pay nib plus their initial shipping. That's where the used market has lost me

I always valued the nib experience at about $500, just like driving a new car out the lot. Warranty isn't transferable I think, so that's another what $500, and then you played for x games. Does not sit right by me and so if I'm pay nib prices, I'll buy nib.

don't get me wrong I'll sell for these silly prices and have, but I don't buy with one exception. Lucky for me is I play my games so you won't see me listing only 50 games played, more like 5000 plus lol

Warranty is transferable for the remaining warranty. It doesn’t reset.

Did you factor in potential earnings for those machines. Don't confuse a private collection over an operator purchasing those very machines as an investment in site earnings, that's what pinball machines were made for in the first place. As for private purchases, well if you got into this hobby 20-30 yrs ago then yes they have been a great investment for me because surplus machines were sold off cheaply from operators by either cash sales or auctions so they could site the next money earner in arcades, pubs and clubs. Purchasing these days not so good, prices are very high and I wouldn't treat them as an investment either, buy to enjoy it.

Decided to buy from retailer from overseas. Much less hassle than inspection and negotiation. Hopefully more luck too.

There is a good article on AA with lots of advice about buying pinball's site unseen which basically means if you can't physically inspect it yourself.

• Like 3

Centaur and not sure what else. I have to play some first to do my due diligence. Star Wars original I have played in past and enjoyed that one, back in 1994.i will like ones with music. If u know if a twilight zone onsite anywhere holler at me as I need to play one of those ASAP I have an isolation transformer for all100-110v hardware anyway with a high enough current load to run jap arcade machines. Should be ok I think Edited by hvc01
Addit
  • Like 1

You don't always need to run a 110V transformer - eg on TZ you simply change the voltage jumper plug wiring from 110 to 230V setting, change the main fuse from 8Amp to 5Amp and replace the power cord to an Australian one (std AU 10Amp 3 pin plug to C13). The pin's transformer is designed for 55Hz and supports both 50 & 60Hz countries.
  • Like 1