Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What is the coil resistance of an AE-27-1200 coil

Hi All

I have been tracing an earth fault on my Theatre Of Magic. It seems at some stage this machine has had a hack job done on its wiring. So I finally found my fault is the Subway Ball Release solenoid. At some stage they have connected it to the 50V off fuse 104 on the power driver board, not the 50V off the fliptronic board? Anyway it has worked for 5 years now without issue....

I found the coil has a resistance of 0.4 Ohm !!! Me thinks this is way too low :realmad: Also Im pretty sure the transistor that runs this coil is a dead short ( will confirm once I rip the Fliptronic Board out.)

I cant seem to find the info on the internets as to what the coil resistance should be, so does anyone know what it should read at ? more than 0.4 Ohms Im guessing !

Thanks Grunta

You've reminded me of when I did a pf resto on mine. I also found the trapdoor release mech was damaged a little causing it not to move smoothly. Might pay to check its moving freely before putting it back.

Just checking, do i stick my finger in it to test it ? :D

Hi Grunta

Just measured 12.2 ohms on my MB out of circuit

Thanks for that, 12.2 Ohms seems a better value than 0.4 ohms ! I also found the TIP`102 on the fliptronic board has shorted out, so have ripped that out and fitted a new one . Best I order a new coil or two :)

After reading, I was wondering if it was possible to calculate from the number (27-1200 - 27 guage, 1200 turns...). Found some numbers with first search, but then found a calculator that will do it without any maths ;)

https://daycounter.com/Calculators/Coil-Physical-Properties-Calculator.phtml

I got a value of 11.977 ohms through that, using Wire diameter of 0.361 (looking up the 27 guage), then using a bobbin diameter of 1/2" (that's the sleeve diameter, I guess it's a little bigger than that), and a bobbin length of 1" (don't have a coil next to me, might be a bit short...).

Maybe a bit too much time on my hands...

• Like 1

After reading, I was wondering if it was possible to calculate from the number (27-1200 - 27 guage, 1200 turns...). Found some numbers with first search, but then found a calculator that will do it without any maths ;)

https://daycounter.com/Calculators/Coil-Physical-Properties-Calculator.phtml

I got a value of 11.977 ohms through that, using Wire diameter of 0.361 (looking up the 27 guage), then using a bobbin diameter of 1/2" (that's the sleeve diameter, I guess it's a little bigger than that), and a bobbin length of 1" (don't have a coil next to me, might be a bit short...).

Maybe a bit too much time on my hands...

Nup all good, have fun sciencing the hell out of it :D