Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

I'm After Some Adjustable 5Volt Regulators

I need a couple of these if anyone has some in Australia. Lets just say I'm getting pissed off with shutdowns and Ken has been through the boards as well. I want these machines fixed once and for all.

Either the 3amp version......

https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/products/psu5.html#.Xo3ipSCuZdg

Or the 5amp version.....

https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/products/psu7.html#.Xo3ibCCuZdg

Have you tried putting a small (say 10-22 ohm) resistor between the regulator and ground. I've done that with a few machines and even a new 5V regulator only puts out 4.85 sometimes, throw the resistor in and it bumps it up to a nice 5.05V.

Also, header plugs being replaced have solved a few reset problems for me in the past (assuming Ken has replaced header pins)

• Like 3

I've done that with a few machines and even a new 5V regulator only puts out 4.85 sometimes,

That is the problem. Unless you hunt for the elusive OEM part that is rediculiously expensive and then change the pins and check every connector, the problem can still be there all for the sack of the 5volts being slightly down by the smallest amount.

The part's role isn't hard, a simple 5 volt power supply and they don't come much more simple than an existing pinball 5 volt supply. The problem is the heat and no way easierly to adjust it like you can on a video machine 5 volt power supply to compansate for none perfect parts used elsewhere.

An adjustable 5 volt switch mode power supply is removing all the problems including heat as far as I can see and prevents the need to change multiple parts to gain a % of a volt to keep the too closely set 5 volt watch dog circuit happy.

I have a BS Dracula coming over to try a substitue switch mode 5 volt supply I have here until these new style regulators arrive from the states to try this theory. Should just need 4 wires connected to the board using the old regulator holes.

Like I said, it is just a simple 5 volt supply required but this replacement one is a switch mode type rather than a linear and is also adjustable. It is accually the hair triggered watch dog circuit even Williams admitted was set to fine on WPC machines that causes the resets after all Bally SS and earlier Williams use exactly the same 5 volt regulator and they don't have reset problems.

The genuine OEM parts were easy to get hold of and cheap when the machines were current but now that has all changed with only Chinese clones easy to get so time to change the part for a more modern solution to finally get rid of this age old WPC problem.

That's the idea anyway.

I'll keep you imformed.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

That is the problem. Unless you hunt for the elusive OEM part that is rediculiously expensive and then change the pins and check every connector, the problem can still be there all for the sack of the 5volts being slightly down by the smallest amount.

The part's role isn't hard, a simple 5 volt power supply and they don't come much more simple than an existing pinball 5 volt supply. The problem is the heat and no way easierly to adjust it like you can on a video machine 5 volt power supply to compansate for none perfect parts used elsewhere.

An adjustable 5 volt switch mode power supply is removing all the problems including heat as far as I can see and prevents the need to change multiple parts to gain a % of a volt to keep the too closely set 5 volt watch dog circuit happy.

I have a BS Dracula coming over to try a substitue switch mode 5 volt supply I have here until these new style regulators arrive from the states to try this theory. Should just need 4 wires connected to the board using the old regulator holes.

Like I said, it is just a simple 5 volt supply required but this replacement one is a switch mode type rather than a linear and is also adjustable. It is accually the hair triggered watch dog circuit even Williams admitted was set to fine on WPC machines that causes the resets after all Bally SS and earlier Williams use exactly the same 5 volt regulator and they don't have reset problems.

The genuine OEM parts were easy to get hold of and cheap when the machines were current but now that has all changed with only Chinese clones easy to get so time to change the part for a more modern solution to finally get rid of this age old WPC problem.

That's the idea anyway.

I'll keep you imformed.

Please dont do that ,I have seen that hack done on busted arse euro imports and its ugly.

Find the problem,your right the watchdog circuit has tight tolerences so dont disregard the AC side of things when your chasing this type of problem,there are few molex connectors in the circuit that have probably never been touched in 25 yrs also change the thermistor they are cheaper and they do break down over time.

Or do the mod Rob suggested as a last resort.

• Like 3

The switch mode power supply I am thinking of "testing" with measures 60mm X 20mm. It is a 12voltDC to 5 voltDC inverter I use on RPis so pretty discrete and about the size of the existing heatsink. Curtainly no brick. :lol. It is solely as a test till the US made adjustable regulators arrive and uses the existing regulator solder points on the board so not exactly butchering the board or the machine. Please, have some faith in me boys. I change things to improve reliability or performance, not try to make them ugly and as always, a good mod is one you don't see but makes a problem disappear and you all have to admit, this is a very well known WPC problem and OEM parts are disappearing meaning this problem is only going to get worse as people start using Chinese clone regulators.

As for the stated mods, as far as I'm concerned the only one that actually addresses the problem is the @robm one. I have done this mod myself several times. Put a wafer under the regulator to insulate the case from ground and put a resistor in to make the ground reference point higher that makes the 5volt from the reg slightly higher. Raising the 5 volts is the solution. Problem is the wafer does not transfer the heat from the regulator as affectively as the regulator bolted directly to the heatsink with heat transfer paste.

Change the pins and connectors. I have used bags of pins and connectors on this problem over the years. Sometimes it works for a couple of years, sometimes the problem is still there but less often and sometimes makes absolutely no difference.

Change caps. I have pulled caps out with absolutely nothing wrong with them and had some that are causing the problem.

This is a bit of a rundown on my personally experience with WPCs shutting down. Unlike many of you guys I get one chance at addressing problems. It comes here and I am unlikely to see it again for six months if all goes well. If that machine comes back because it has shutdown a week or two later, I have to repair again free of charge. I'm after a do once and never touch again repair.

My solution...

Put an adjustable regulator in. Measure at the watchdog till it gets a good 5-5.1 volts and the problem will be gone no matter what the wiring is like. It isn't as if you need to replace all the 20-30 year old wiring is it. Why only this circuit. Because if that voltage drops a % of a volt it is detected and shuts down the machine and the slightest resistance in any connector is all that is required to cause this drop. Image if your car had a circuit in it that was so voltage dependent. If you raise the 5 volt level by a fraction of a volt, the machine will never shutdown again as the fraction of a volt moves the 5 volt slightly away from the watchdog trigger threshold voltage like it should have been designed in the first place.

• Like 1

Steve, a guy is selling original LM323K regs on Facebook at the moment. Are you keen on those or only interested in more modern equivalents?

Got 11 adjustables coming from the states @$8.60 odd US each and $36 post. Don't know how long before they arrive but when they do, I'll let you know how well they perform. Got 4 machines to put them in straight away so will be a good test.

• 3 weeks later...

Got 11 adjustables coming from the states @$8.60 odd US each and $36 post. Don't know how long before they arrive but when they do, I'll let you know how well they perform. Got 4 machines to put them in straight away so will be a good test.

I have a Bally Viking, it has been shutting down occasionally since I put in 7 digit LED displays which run off the 5V. Do u think these shld sort the problem?

I have a Bally Viking, it has been shutting down occasionally since I put in 7 digit LED displays which run off the 5V. Do u think these shld sort the problem?

These things are great for what you want input voltage up to 36vdc

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-XL4015-DC-5A-4V-38V-to-1-25V-36V-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Buck-24V-12V-9V-5V/192930919985?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

I would try the mods on page 8, 9 and 10 in this post first before replacing the regulator....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

• Like 1

I need a couple of these if anyone has some in Australia. Lets just say I'm getting pissed off with shutdowns and Ken has been through the boards as well. I want these machines fixed once and for all.

Either the 3amp version......

https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/products/psu5.html#.Xo3ipSCuZdg

Or the 5amp version.....

https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/products/psu7.html#.Xo3ibCCuZdg

Bugger I just put in an order two weeks ago for a couple of regs I needed, could've got you some sorry

• Like 2

Bugger I just put in an order two weeks ago for a couple of regs I needed, could've got you some sorry

Thanks mate but I didn't order them myself. An operator bought 11 of them and I just install them. Still waiting on them. They better do the job but even if they only do what the originals did, they are a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...