Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Play Gear from Victoria Reviews.

Collapse

General Pinball Discussion.

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by JustAnotherRat View Post

    I'd like to know more details.

    There are people saying how great he is but I know of a few people that bought his VP cabs and are now looking for someone to fix it for them so I'm not so sure.
    I refer to my snapshot mate ! The guy is a liar and talks that much shit he needs a bin connected below his mouth lol

    Comment


    • #17
      Is flipper lag a problem on all virtual pins? I was going to build one but then played a mates and it was unplayable. He had a Dick Smith monitor, maybe that was the problem?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by onetaste View Post
        Is flipper lag a problem on all virtual pins? I was going to build one but then played a mates and it was unplayable. He had a Dick Smith monitor, maybe that was the problem?
        Some are definitely much much worse than others.

        My one is pretty good. I got Dedrok to have a game and he told me that there's none.

        Comment


        • #19
          These VP cabs are just like mame arcade machines, as its very hard to find people selling them without having programming issues.
          It would take hundreds of hours to get all the games to work and work perfect.
          I've always said with these (mainly mame) machines, that 100 perfectly working games is better then 10,000 games that are hit and miss....

          I suggest anyone buying these to look at them as just a machine with free programming & either know their stuff when it comes to the programming, or be willing to pay the $$ to get it serviced, or even be willing to take it back to the seller to be looked at.
          Its very stupid to expect someone to diagnose issues over the phone or via emails...

          People that buy these machines must understand that they're like real pinball machines that will need servicing at some point...
          sigpicArcade Parts: www.vadership.com

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Vadership View Post
            These VP cabs are just like mame arcade machines, as its very hard to find people selling them without having programming issues.
            It would take hundreds of hours to get all the games to work and work perfect.
            I've always said with these (mainly mame) machines, that 100 perfectly working games is better then 10,000 games that are hit and miss....

            I suggest anyone buying these to look at them as just a machine with free programming & either know their stuff when it comes to the programming, or be willing to pay the $$ to get it serviced, or even be willing to take it back to the seller to be looked at.
            Its very stupid to expect someone to diagnose issues over the phone or via emails...

            People that buy these machines must understand that they're like real pinball machines that will need servicing at some point...

            Yep agree mate BUT and a BIG BUT ! For 5K your paying its decent coin yeah and I get some games but 100 or so out of 300 loaded on it ? Really ?

            False promises made before purchasing to get your money and then not delivering ? Machine freezing on turning it on and needing to restart 5 times at times before you can play ? Lots of other issues that you blatantly ignore messages when contacted ? He supplies a 12 month warranty that gives nothing !!!

            I will say it again ! It’s 5K yeah ? So you know everything about every product you buy yeah ? Cmon mate...

            Comment


            • #21
              I know what your saying Genie
              I was just explaining what to expect from a Mame or VP machine with all those games.
              My best advise ( if its still under warranty ) is to take it back to the place you bought it from and demand him to fix it...
              Then make sure you test it before taking it home again.
              sigpicArcade Parts: www.vadership.com

              Comment


              • #22
                A MAME cab and a VP is very different. If someone takes the time setting up a MAME cab properly it can be copied easily from one set up to another (PC or Raspberry Pi based) and work.

                For VP, unless you have exactly the same setup, it wouldn't work. There are plenty of haters for those people that do share pack or sell commercial product fully loaded. It's generally accepted now with MAME but the community in VP will come after you with pitchforks. It's accepted for someone to sell their own cab on with all of their setup still in place, but to copy it off and give it to another person is a no no.

                There are so many things that can break in VP. In Visual Pinball alone there are so many components working to make all the magic happen, Visual Pinball itself, VPinMAME, B2S Server and that's just to get started.

                Comment


                • #23

                  OK, I looked at some of the parts used - I can't comment on how good the parts work but looked at the specs of the shaker motor, soenoids and relays used (relays control the toys like described)
                  MDF cabinet, wooden lock down bar, clone chineese plunger. Now there is absolutley nothing wrong with using the above parts when building a VPCAB.

                  The machines look good to somone who knows nothing about them. To call their most expensive "Extreme" vpin for 7.3k is sub standard IMO. The tech used is cheap, and simple

                  The wiring again IMO, is sub standard - they are everywhere - waiting for trouble. This may have changed. Shaker Motor cover - still had teh barcode on it

                  Software - He talks about "Deep Freeze" software - I had to google that one. Basically anything changed while running will go back to the original settings on reboot? Who the F***K would use that in a Mame or VPIN system?? No one! - but yet he harps on about it's a terrible system (and it is in this situation) and his system doesnt use it - DUH. This is different from incremental backups which is advisable on any system. The software for that is free.

                  I get the reason why authors a pissed when he releases software for profit.

                  Here's the clincher for me - in one of his video's he says he doesnt want to show how the blower works becuase people would copy his work/design WTF???
                  Here he is blatantly ripping off artwork and software and installing on his system . Oh and their "Infamous Feedback System".

                  PC specs - yeah they run fine but I'd love to see what settings are used. He mentions Nvidia 2060 (~$500) Today I'd be using a a 2060 Super minimum on a system like that. Overkill ? Maybe, but dont call it an Extreme pinball with "average" components. Again nothing wrong with it, shite you can run on lesser hardware but I hope you get the point of what I'm trying to say.

                  The videos look good and the spin/yarn is good. I guess thats what a salesman does. I'd love to know if he's donated money to any of the authors of the software or tables - I doubt it.

                  Know doubt he has skills and equipment and it costs money to set up. Time is money. If everything was legit and detail in the blurb then no problem. I'd be right behind him if people were saying he made x amount of money - what a rip. Like anything the experience and time costs money and quality components

                  Trouble is, people will buy and continues to do what he does.

                  This post is to try and help others who are looking at buying one and are on the fence
                  Rant Over
                  Pinball Meets...I love em

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by acejas View Post
                    The videos look good and the spin/yarn is good. I guess that's what a salesman does. I'd love to know if he's donated money to any of the authors of the software or tables - I doubt it.
                    For what it's worth, he did donate to G5K when that was giving him access to the beta release of one of the games, I think it was The Flintstones. G5K (who is an Aussie, no relevance to the story but thought some might like to know) actually praised him for pay up when others were bagging him out. G5K at the time saw it that Dave (Retro Play) was making an effort to do right by the community.



                    I agree with you with all the other stuff acejas as it's no secret that you know what you're talking about.

                    I was contacted today by a company that were asked to upgrade one of Retro Play's cabs to see if I would be interested in doing it, they weren't interested in the work themselves but to try and help the customer out asked me if I'd do it for the guy. He was offering to pay someone to do the work. I chose to not do the work in this instance.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      many i have seen use plate glass as well not tempered
                      Australian Distributors for Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
                      Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

                      Comment


                      • #26


                        I thought I should warn some people to do your homework before you purchase and ask questions. I would also take the time to read the comments under the 3x review videos scoooby has posted.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Lana77 View Post


                          I thought I should warn some people to do your homework before you purchase and ask questions. I would also take the time to read the comments under the 3x review videos scoooby has posted.
                          Lot of information in that guys videos, like 3 remotes & 3 or 4 switches to turn machine on , Logitech computer speakers loose in the backbox.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I purchased my machine from RetroPlay in February 2020 and received it in August 2020. I wish I would have known of his competition before purchasing. In the month since receiving the cabinet, I've found out the machine does not have the PC specs promised, the video card has half the power for example, I only received half of the solenoids, there are no bell chimes, ect, ect, ect. Other than the hardware, there has been no support. I've been asking for help since the day I received it, and have received nothing...despite 3 years of "warranty and support" being included.

                            I hope this post helps someone before making their purchase.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by galeassim View Post
                              I purchased my machine from RetroPlay in February 2020 and received it in August 2020. I wish I would have known of his competition before purchasing. In the month since receiving the cabinet, I've found out the machine does not have the PC specs promised, the video card has half the power for example, I only received half of the solenoids, there are no bell chimes, ect, ect, ect. Other than the hardware, there has been no support. I've been asking for help since the day I received it, and have received nothing...despite 3 years of "warranty and support" being included.

                              I hope this post helps someone before making their purchase.
                              Not great to hear, but thanks for sharing. Hopefully others tread lightly.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Looks like he has a habit of removing any negative comments on his Facebook page.

                                Comment

                                Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X