Retro Play Gear from Victoria Reviews.

Collapse

General Pinball Discussion.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Play Gear from Victoria Reviews.

Hi all

Just adding a small extension to the house.
    Have approval for a vpin and possible stand up 2 player arcade!

Any have any feedback or reviews in the retro play gear from Victoria?
    It seems to be the nicest stuff around from what I can tell?

Thanks
    Kurt
    Last edited by Arcade King; 23 April 2020, 05:16 PM.

Bumping this for Kurt. Can anybody help?
    Kurt wants to know where to buy a ready made Virtual Pin and Arcade Cab.
    OzStick Brad Highway Entertainment
    Last edited by Arcade King; 23 April 2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I have one of his 4k vpins, play it most nights.

I installed FX 3 on it and updated a lot of the VPX tables with newer releases. Works good as is delivered but i like the FX 3 stuff and some of the newer VPX tables are outstanding

Solid build quality, hardware is good enough to play everything i have tried. Only small complaints i would have are: button does not line up with TZ graphics. Bass is loud (wife gets the shits when she s gone to bed) and its turned down low and the DMD monitor is a PIA to turn on

Its helpful if you are familiar with vpin software and front ends and you can customize to your hearts content, If not Dave is pretty helpful with problems you may encounter and can remote in if you really mess it up

He has FB page and you tube if you want some videos

Edit. Should add biggest problem was waiting for it. His stuff is popular and they are all built to order , I waited 9 weeks and picked up week before x mas

Hope that helps

Comment

Just took a dive into Dave's YouTube page - wow, where has Virtual Pinball been all of my life? Looks fantastic!
        Wanted - Neo Geo AES games (PM me Please)
        Wanted - CPS2 game boards (PM me Please)

Comment

I have ordered a machine from Dave and getting very excited as the build starts today....
          I would have to say the back and forth phone conversations and emails have been very pleasant and he is very knowledgeable in his craft...The machine has taken a little longer in getting built but that has to do with the times we are know living in..
          I purchased the standard machine with a couple of extras and also purchased some FX3 games on steam and Dave is going to put them on my machine for me..
          I had previously bought a machine out of Brisbane and had the worst experience in my life...So before purchasing this machine I was able to go to one of Dave’s machines he had built for a customer that did live relatively close and see and play and ask questions and wow 😮 they are very nice bits of gear...
          hope this helps in your decision to buy one

Comment

Dave appears to make a good product and is seemingly very passionate about the hobby. It seems that those who have dealt with him and purchased from him are happy. I haven't seen anything negative in that way.

Dave has also pissed off many people in the virtual pinball community. The community is in many ways very precious and don't want their worked shared without credit being given to the appropriate people, they also worry that if people publicly promote that they are selling cabinets built with games that aren't technically licensed correctly that pinball companies will start issuing cease and desist orders which has the potential to ruin the virtual pinball community completely. I'm not trying to derail this thread with this stuff but thought that it is worth mentioning in the thread for the following reason. Dave promotes that his machines come with games and because of that gets hate in the community (so much so that one of the popular virtual pinball sites blocked all Australian IP's from connecting at one stage) so if you are looking for help in many forums don't highlight that you need help with a cabinet built by Dave or RetroPlay as you'll likely cop abuse.

Comment

Here is a thread about the blocking that was cause by him https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/p...ion/103010-wtf

Comment

Thank you for the info.

It seems the pinball dramas are evident in vp as well as normal silver ball!!
                Ive skipped on the vp and bought another project real pin instead but have ordered a custom two player arcade from him with very specific art criteria.
                I will report back with a full review of my experience and the product when it arrives.
                I was told 6 weeks, so expecting it here early June.

Comment

Hi all,

I purchased a 4k virtual pinball machine from Dave at RetroPlay and was blown away by the quality of the entire build. Also Dave has given me support over the phone when i messed something up. He is always there and is a stand up guy. 11 out of 10 for me.

Regards, Mark

Comment

Hi all, this very post is the reason I’m here. After doing much research I’m within an inch of pulling the trigger on one of Dave’s machines. The Extreme edition to be precise. Is there anyone on the Southside of Brisbane that has one I could look at? If not, hows the depth of field and flipper lag? Theee are the two things that seem to get the most press time. Would be handy to know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Prendy View Post
                      Hi all, this very post is the reason I’m here. After doing much research I’m within an inch of pulling the trigger on one of Dave’s machines. The Extreme edition to be precise. Is there anyone on the Southside of Brisbane that has one I could look at? If not, hows the depth of field and flipper lag? Theee are the two things that seem to get the most press time. Would be handy to know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I got one from about 18 months ago. I can't remember the model but was $4.5k. Turned it on once, depth of field is OK but the flipper lag was unplayable.

You are welcome to check it out if ever in the Bundaberg region.

Comment

I was/am interested in one of those too but would like to test play first. Really curious how “Magna Save” works and other games that have a second set of buttons.

Comment

All I am going to say is this .... I was promised a lot and purchased a 4K Back To The Future build. I also got him 2 additional buyers that he gave me a discount on my machine for which I appreciated.

My machine has had nothing but technical difficulties since I picked it up , half the games he promised he did not add on the machine , his after service is terrible and he promised me for months he would iron out the issues.

He has ignored my messages totally , once he has your money and you have the machine he flicks you off and works on enticing the next potential buyers through his you tube channel etc.

This is after he admitted all the issues my machine is his fault and was overlooked with issues I’m having. Anyway one of my mates who is virtual pin minded has fixed most of the issues and on looking under the hood found various flaws with the build. That’s my 5 cents worth anyway ...

Comment

Sounds very familiar. Without going into it very disappointed.
                            Suggest someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by KJS View Post
                              Sounds very familiar. Without going into it very disappointed.
                              Suggest someone else.
                              I'd like to know more details.

There are people saying how great he is but I know of a few people that bought his VP cabs and are now looking for someone to fix it for them so I'm not so sure.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X