Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Where to buy Goo-Gone?

garuda

I don't know about Goo Gone but I have used Oomph and De-Solv-It and both work great and easily available at Bunnings or probably the supermarket. I am not positve but I think both are the same type of product.

How old was the mylar you were removing? What condition?

no sorry mate haven't used it for removing mylar before just other sticky messes. Are you planning the ole syringe under the mylar trick?

I was going to give it a go. I didn't really want to use the heat method. I've seen too many bad results. What do you recommend?

What about the freeze method.. then just removed the left over glue residue with goof off

http://www.marvin3m.com/restore/index2.htm

Step 2: Remove Mylar and Clean the Playfield.

If your playfield has mylar or those dumb woodgrain pop bumper trim rings, you'll need to remove it. This can be done easily with a hair dryer and naptha or using "freeze spray".

The first method I use for mylar removal is Freeze Spray (cold in a can). I always try this method first, as it provides the best mylar removal results with the least amount of playfield paint lift. The cheapest source for Freeze Spray is an office supply store. Buy the compressed air/dust removal cans. Then turn the can upside-down, and instant freeze spray! Now generously spray the edge of the mylar. It may take 5 or so seconds of spraying, but the mylar should easily delaminate from the playfield. The hardest part is getting an edge started, but once it starts to lift it should almost fall off. After the mylar starts to delaminate, freeze spray the rest of the mylar (in three or four square inch increments), and the entire mylar covering should come off the playfield with little to no effort. Be careful not to spray your fingers as this stuff is cold!

Another mylar removal method is using a Hair Dryer (I don't recommend this method on EM playfields, but it works good on later 1990s games). Heat the edge of the mylar, then gently pull the mylar off the playfield, as you heat it. Use Naptha under the mylar and around the edges to help. It is very easy to remove paint and lettering from the playfield when doing this, so do this slowly. Use lots of heat from the hair dryer (do NOT use a heat gun; these are too hot).

After the mylar is removed, use the Naptha to remove the glue left behind on the playfield. You may have to scrub to get it off using an old credit card or plastic scraper. Pour some Naptha on a three or four square inch of playfield and let it sit for a few minutes. Then use a plastic scraper or old credit card to scrape up the mylar glue. Use lots of clean rags as the glue will get on the rags. If you used the freeze spray method to remove the mylar, there will be a considerable amount of glue left on the playfield (this is the disadvantage to the freeze spray method).

Another good product to try on the playfield for clean is Magic Eraser (Melamine foam) There is more information on this product here. I highly recommend this technique to remove fine ground in dirt and "ball swirl" dirt.

Once all the parts (and mylar) is removed, use Novus #2 to clean the playfield. Do NOT use any other product such as Millwax or something containing silicon. I only recommend Novus2 as it is very inert and contains no wax or silicon.

The machine is from 1984 so it is pretty old. I thought the Goo-Gone method would be best as the adhesive would be mostly removed before the mylar is lifted. I'm a bit worried about paint being lifted with the freeze or heat methods.

Next time i do it im going to try the freeze spray then goo gone on the remaining glue.. i bought a bottle from ebay. Ive done the hair dryer method to remove mylar aswell and it worked great

I think the freeze method will just remove the mylar and leave behind the glue. Meh, I've never done it. Just seen it on pinball DVDs from above linked site, and it looks pretty safe.

I might experiment with the sections around the pop bumpers. It is already lifting slightly so I can see which method works best here. It is between the Goo-Gone method and the freeze method though. I think the heat method on old playfields can be disasterous.

I think youd be pretty safe with the freeze spray, i got a price on it last time i was in dick smith but cant remember it :lol Might have been around the 12 buck mark for a big can

I tried useing freeze spray and found it pretty much useless.

The hair drier works best for me.

I've removed 5 or 6 full playfield mylars useing this method and only lifted

minimal paint.

To remove the glue i used big kevs goo remover ( citric acid based) and then gave it a good clean over with metho.

I used the heat method, and it sucked... Wasn't a problem on the playfield until it got to the part where the mylar was over one of the lights and the light insert was ripped off in the process!!! Arghhhhh.

Never mind, good old 2pack clear fixed the problem, probably a better result!

It also left the sticky crap on the playfield, which I used Prepsol (Wax and grease remover) to get rid off.

I checked out some pinnies a guy had yesterday and he used the heat method on a playfield and basically stuffed the entire playfield. Inserts and paint apparently ruined and now is unfixable. That said it looked ok in the "This Old Pinball" dvds so not sure.

Also, off topic but he also had a very large pinny flyer collection in a folder that was awesome to look through. I kind of thought they were pretty much a waste of time but after seeing his I think differently now.

I bought some Goo-Gone from US Ebay. I really don't trust the heat method. We'll see how it goes.

Also, off topic but he also had a very large pinny flyer collection in a folder that was awesome to look through. I kind of thought they were pretty much a waste of time but after seeing his I think differently now.

I think pinball flyers look awesome. I'll post a pic of mine sometime. I framed them and the frames glow.

I have been lifting it slowly and we don't need cold freeze spay down here cause it always cold ..leaving lots of residue but thats good cause it leaves the playfield there..using Solv It orange spray..seems good..has not affected the paint ..

• 8 months later...
I bought some Goo-Gone from US Ebay. I really don't trust the heat method. We'll see how it goes.

How did it work out? I'm looking at doing something with the 'goo gone' method.

Are there any other alternative brands to use?

I might experiment with the sections around the pop bumpers. It is already lifting slightly so I can see which method works best here. It is between the Goo-Gone method and the freeze method though. I think the heat method on old playfields can be disasterous.

Reading another thread you decided to go with the freeze method?

I ended up buying some Goo Gone from US Ebay however wasn't impressed with the results. I can't actually say that I would use it again as the must have item over any other products. The freeze spray method worked brilliantly and it will be my method of choice next time. Hope this helps.

What type of pin are you working on?