Do pinballs make cash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do pinballs make cash?

My local footy club wants to put some pinball machines in and they are being mucked around by local operators because they don't want to commit to putting in pool tables etc.

As I've been thinking of getting a pinny or 2 - I'm wondering whether or not to get one or two and put it in the club.

How much money is usually made from these? Do operators usually put them in and just take all the money out - or is there a set monthly fee or % of the money given/taken by the club etc?

For operators Footy clubs are normally crap as far as takings , they simply aren't open enough and when they are they become part of the Kids Kindy Gym , Parents dont normally mind if the kids are filling the coin slots up with bottle tops or painting the sides of your pinball as long as they can have a beer in peace.

Seriously dont waste your own money on buying pinball to make you money in a footy club , it will cost you more than you will ever make .

In a good location pinballs do take good money , The percentages vary but we generally give the location 30% of the takings.

Comment

I tend to agree with Jomac on this one.

Problem with sporting clubs is that they appear to have a reputation of not treating equipment well.

I'm not here to argue if that is true or not, but operators can be picky when it comes to siting machines in certain locations. The only reason they want to pay a visit is to empty the cash box!

I am involved in a sporting club myself and we see it as important to have things that will attract people socially and keep them there, so they can spend money on other things.

If you put in an el cheapo MAME cabinet and leave it freeplay then kids can play it and the parents will stay longer, drink more and therefore put more money through the bar than you'd make profit on a pinny.

An MP3 jukebox with all manner of songs in it for 20c a pop may be a goer too - but you didn't hear that from me.......

Cheers,
      Chris
      www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by OzStick
        An MP3 jukebox with all manner of songs in it for 20c a pop may be a goer too - but you didn't hear that from me.......

Cheers,
        Chris
        Speaking from experience?
        BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

Not speaking from experience, rather it is soon to be attempted. I will be speaking from experience in about 6 months.........
          www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

dude that has bad news written all over it an op i know down here just got done for a 39 in 1 and he is in big trouble not to mention any machine as to be classified now last year where i live machines were turned off regardless of their location and they couldnt be turned on untill they has ratings anyhow i from time to time have bought brand new pinnies and i have sited them to help pay for them for say a year or two before bringing them home and if you had a good location you get that machine still in good shape operators wont put a say wsop at $7600 when it may take them a long time to get the money back plus they have to keep it serviced so in other words ops want high volume locations no small sports clubs as they have to share either 60 40 or 50 50 with the location owner your club would be better gettin a few old williams solid states in good nic and set it at a dollar a go

Comment

I swear that i see 39in1 boards being run in arcades up here pretty often. What sorta penalities do these people face if caught?

Comment

unles there licensed they are boot leg boards i can still remember ops that got caught running sf2 rainbow it cost him $5000

Comment

pinball will make money when they get off their lazy arse and get a job
                  Ric
                  looking for:
                  the baseboard for a Gottlieb Royal Guard
                  Zaccaria Devil Riders Backglass
                  Williams OXO, GTB Volcano

Comment

Very intersting development re: the op who got pinged for running X-in-1 boards. I see heaps of the shitty things on sites. I personally hate them and loath them. Lagging POS they are.
                    The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

footy clubs

hmmm for me its just not worth the hassle.

1 breakdown can cost you your monthy takings or even if they break into it hmmm. we have very few sites most we have walked away from and sold the equipment. The day I saw my Indy with the glass smashed and the coin door ripped off made me cry so much damage for such little return. If i ever do any again I will never put a top pinny out

Maybe for yourself as a 1 off and if you ar involed with the club it will be looked after but for me with time and costs NO THANKS

mark

Comment

I personally would like to know how the hell you can get caught? Who is going to report you and who to?

I could just imagine,

Hey Mr Police man who wouldn't understand a word your saying, mr bad man is running x in 1 boards? Get lost and stop wasting time would probably be the answer

Comment

cops don't care

the copyright councils and collection funds do

they are rabid and will come after you if tipped off

Ric
                          Ric
                          looking for:
                          the baseboard for a Gottlieb Royal Guard
                          Zaccaria Devil Riders Backglass
                          Williams OXO, GTB Volcano

Comment

The copyright holders care, and all they have to do is start a court action saying "We hold the copyright on item X and Mr Y is using our copyrighted article without permission".

Comment

Originally posted by Vicked
                              The copyright holders care, and all they have to do is start a court action saying "We hold the copyright on item X and Mr Y is using our copyrighted article without permission".
                              At the risk of starting a heated debate (at which point I will cower and hide), how do you prove you have a licence for an original gameboard in a machine you have on site collecting money?

I mean, if I have no piece of paper proving the original Galaga board in my cocktail cabinet at Location X is "legal", where do I stand? And if a faulty ROM is replaced on the board to repair it, is it still original? From what you are saying in this world gone mad of ours I would not have a leg to stand on legally.

I can see right now that this thread needs a new topic and should be moved.......
                              www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X