Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Do pinballs make cash?

My local footy club wants to put some pinball machines in and they are being mucked around by local operators because they don't want to commit to putting in pool tables etc.

As I've been thinking of getting a pinny or 2 - I'm wondering whether or not to get one or two and put it in the club.

How much money is usually made from these? Do operators usually put them in and just take all the money out - or is there a set monthly fee or % of the money given/taken by the club etc?

For operators Footy clubs are normally crap as far as takings , they simply aren't open enough and when they are they become part of the Kids Kindy Gym , Parents dont normally mind if the kids are filling the coin slots up with bottle tops or painting the sides of your pinball as long as they can have a beer in peace.

Seriously dont waste your own money on buying pinball to make you money in a footy club , it will cost you more than you will ever make .

In a good location pinballs do take good money , The percentages vary but we generally give the location 30% of the takings.

I tend to agree with Jomac on this one.

Problem with sporting clubs is that they appear to have a reputation of not treating equipment well.

I'm not here to argue if that is true or not, but operators can be picky when it comes to siting machines in certain locations. The only reason they want to pay a visit is to empty the cash box!

I am involved in a sporting club myself and we see it as important to have things that will attract people socially and keep them there, so they can spend money on other things.

If you put in an el cheapo MAME cabinet and leave it freeplay then kids can play it and the parents will stay longer, drink more and therefore put more money through the bar than you'd make profit on a pinny.

An MP3 jukebox with all manner of songs in it for 20c a pop may be a goer too - but you didn't hear that from me.......

Cheers,

Chris

dude that has bad news written all over it an op i know down here just got done for a 39 in 1 and he is in big trouble not to mention any machine as to be classified now last year where i live machines were turned off regardless of their location and they couldnt be turned on untill they has ratings anyhow i from time to time have bought brand new pinnies and i have sited them to help pay for them for say a year or two before bringing them home and if you had a good location you get that machine still in good shape operators wont put a say wsop at $7600 when it may take them a long time to get the money back plus they have to keep it serviced so in other words ops want high volume locations no small sports clubs as they have to share either 60 40 or 50 50 with the location owner your club would be better gettin a few old williams solid states in good nic and set it at a dollar a go

footy clubs

hmmm for me its just not worth the hassle.

1 breakdown can cost you your monthy takings or even if they break into it hmmm. we have very few sites most we have walked away from and sold the equipment. The day I saw my Indy with the glass smashed and the coin door ripped off made me cry so much damage for such little return. If i ever do any again I will never put a top pinny out

Maybe for yourself as a 1 off and if you ar involed with the club it will be looked after but for me with time and costs NO THANKS

mark

I personally would like to know how the hell you can get caught? Who is going to report you and who to?

I could just imagine,

Hey Mr Police man who wouldn't understand a word your saying, mr bad man is running x in 1 boards? Get lost and stop wasting time would probably be the answer :lol

The copyright holders care, and all they have to do is start a court action saying "We hold the copyright on item X and Mr Y is using our copyrighted article without permission".

The copyright holders care, and all they have to do is start a court action saying "We hold the copyright on item X and Mr Y is using our copyrighted article without permission".

At the risk of starting a heated debate (at which point I will cower and hide), how do you prove you have a licence for an original gameboard in a machine you have on site collecting money?

I mean, if I have no piece of paper proving the original Galaga board in my cocktail cabinet at Location X is "legal", where do I stand? And if a faulty ROM is replaced on the board to repair it, is it still original? From what you are saying in this world gone mad of ours I would not have a leg to stand on legally.

I can see right now that this thread needs a new topic and should be moved.......

As far as I am aware if you own the original gameboard you have an "implied license" to use the gameboard under its original terms of use. So the license to use the gameboard to make money passes from one owner to the next whith each sale.

As far as I am aware if you own the original gameboard you have an "implied license" to use the gameboard under its original terms of use. So the license to use the gameboard to make money passes from one owner to the next whith each sale.

That is how I understand it also.

All of those 9-in-1 and 39-in-1 "Game never ends" boards are fake. If you open up your coin door and you have a original board, or multiple original boards using Multijamma, you have no worries. If someone with a 39-in-1 PCB opens up their coin door and it is on the one pcb, and those games were never produced together on the 1 board, then it is obviously fake and you theoretically could be taken to court.

I believe there are some real in-1 boards that were made (Namco and Williams?), but all the games on the board are from the one company and they are 3 or 4 in 1, not 39+.

I have played the 39-in-1 before and it wasn't too bad, but the ones with more than 39-in-1 (100, 400-in-1) use a mini-pc/hard drive and are REALLY bad (30 second load times and not accurate emulation).

when i was a lad and i worked after school for a large arcade in canberra reps use to come and ask to have the machines opened even if it was a dedicated people from sega use to do it all the time and when they did find something was a bit dodgey like a bootleg board they use to ask for money or threaten to take you to court but that was years ago i guess what gives away a bootleg whatever in one is 3 or 4 different makers on the one board the only leagal whatevers in one were the namco classics the way i look at is a bootleg is a lot like a copied dvd which is against the law if caught but with a bootleg pcb on public display you never know who is looking at it and if you are ever asked to open your machine and say your running a bootleg metal slug 4 id say you pretty well f*****

INCORRECT! :lol My freinds!

That is like saying the favourite "I have a right to copy my cd because I own the original" unfortunatley contrey to popular believe this is incorrect and already been proven. A guy lost his house and all his belonging because he got sue by sony for having a hugh stash of CDs and copies of them. He "wasnt" selling them but it made no difference. Because you would then have 2 copies and you only paid for 1 you don't have a right to it.

:lol

Anyway, where is a number I can call and report timezone for running a x in 1 board??? 1900 NOONE GIVES A SHIT.

Actually you are able to make a backup of a computer program you own, for purposes such as storage of the backup or original. But this doesn't extend to gameboards or music cds.

Actually you are able to make a backup of a computer program you own, for purposes such as storage of the backup or original. But this doesn't extend to gameboards or music cds.

Yeah I disagree with you there, I think It wouldn't matter. Unless you can show me some writing somewhere Im not convinced. The whole argument I saw is that because your not the owner and have only bought 1 copy no matter what the content is music, programs, video games etc it doesn't give you the right to backup your media thus creating a copy for which you don't own a license for.

:unsure If I am so wrong then someone please show me the way? I was told that the whole "backup" right thing was started by a bunch of pirates who wanted to test the law at the time.

Yeah I disagree with you there, I think It wouldn't matter. Unless you can show me some writing somewhere Im not convinced. The whole argument I saw is that because your not the owner and have only bought 1 copy no matter what the content is music, programs, video games etc it doesn't give you the right to backup your media thus creating a copy for which you don't own a license for.

:unsure If I am so wrong then someone please show me the way? I was told that the whole "backup" right thing was started by a bunch of pirates who wanted to test the law at the time.

Some writing somewhere? OK, how about section 47C of the Copyright Act 1968, entitled "Back-up copy of computer programs" (http://www.scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/0/244/0/PA000790.htm).

The Back-up argument is legit under certain circumstances for computer software (such as backing up so that if the original is damaged you have a copy, or backing up to store the original to prevent damage). This argument does not extend to music however.

:D :D :D

Going by the Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image#Games_owned_by_the_user

look down in the legal section

It looks like you can backup your game images from original roms that you own. But still proving you have an original rom is not clarified. You don't get a certificate or anything saying you own ie Galaga. So I am not sure how this works.

Does this mean because I have a Bombjack PCB I can install the same rom image on mame and use it on a location for money?:unsure

uhu???

"!!!WARNING - The data on this site may not be up to date. SCALEplus is being progressively replaced by ComLaw."

Error - 404

The document requested is not available.

ALERT - PLEASE READ!

Please note that SCALEplus has been upgraded to -

Remove all Case Law and State Legislation Databases from SCALEplus and,

Bring SCALEplus in-line with the W3C Accessibility Guidelines

Unfortunately some of your 'older' bookmarks/favourites and URLs will not work.

However.....

If you are presented with this page as a result of following a link from one of the SCALEplus web pages then please send a note to: scalesupport@ag.gov.au

Thankyou!

ROFL

"though this should not be construed as legal advice." :lol