Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning your balls

Hi guys

I have about 35 balls in my machines and replacing them periodically is quite expensive.

At the moment when the balls begin showing signs of wear I use brasso followed by mr sheen to clean them.

I remember seeing a thread where someone used a tumbler with walnut shells to get a much better polish and prolong the use of their balls

Just wondering if there is a cost effective tumbler or other method I could use to prolong the life of my aging balls

Any advice would be appreciated
    sigpic

Cleaning your balls

I tumble mine every couple of months in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media and a little autosol metal polish. Something like this would be ok. You could probably find something cheaper that would do the same job.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182230755198
    The media I get from a gun shop. A $30 lot lasts me a couple of restorations and some ball polishing along the way.
    I did some average looking keys for my machine today using the same method. This is about 4hrs in the tumbler. The balls I do for around 24 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, as above with [MENTION=17818]Boof Head[/MENTION].
      My tumbler uses walnut shells and I chuck in some autosol as well. Balls - 24 to 48 hrs helps prolong their life BUT before I waste power and ingredients I check the items over with a magnifying glass to see if its worth doing.
      http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/forum.../138-RAIL-WAYS

Comment

Does this mean if they are a bit pitted they can't be tumbled ? When mine start feeling a bit rough to touch with my hand is when I usually polish them , but should I be doing it sooner ?

Originally posted by Railways View Post
        Yep, as above with [MENTION=17818]Boof Head[/MENTION].
        My tumbler uses walnut shells and I chuck in some autosol as well. Balls - 24 to 48 hrs helps prolong their life BUT before I waste power and ingredients I check the items over with a magnifying glass to see if its worth doing.
        sigpic

Comment

Cleaning your balls

I also throw mine in the tumbler periodically. May or may not be cost effective depending on how much you use it, but I like to recycle what I have so I use it a fair bit.

You can tumble them whether they're pitted or not. However tumbling will only polish what's there; it can't remove the pits.

http://www.afpinball.com
          "Pinball... harmless recreation for a modest consideration"

Comment

These work nicely:
            http://www.gunco.com.au/BER269/TUMBL...R-SR787/pd.php

You can also give them a polish on a buff after for extra shine

Comment

Don't you clean your balls in the shower?

Seriously now....If you use the tumbler as per the above link...Thanks BOOTS...
              Can you use the standard CORN COB MEDIA for brass bullets to Clean your balls?
              The boss has some of these in the warehouse so I might wack my balls in there...
              Just checking that the Corn Cob is the way to go...

Comment

Do not under any circumstances, use this stuff to clean your balls. Oh god the pain

Click image for larger version

Name:	87499.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1847955

Comment

Do not under any circumstances, use this stuff to clean your balls. Oh god the pain

Click image for larger version.

Name: 87499.jpg
                  Views: 0
                  Size: 52.4 KB
                  ID: 147214

How long did the pain last...? lol

Comment

Originally posted by DAG View Post
                    Don't you clean your balls in the shower?

Seriously now....If you use the tumbler as per the above link...Thanks BOOTS...
                    Can you use the standard CORN COB MEDIA for brass bullets to Clean your balls?
                    The boss has some of these in the warehouse so I might wack my balls in there...
                    Just checking that the Corn Cob is the way to go...
                    Yes corn cob is good

Comment

or you can try this
                      you get a small peice of timber drill a hole in it with a 25mm spade bit 15mm deep doesnt need to be accurate
                      put ball in hole of wood and use a bench grinder to polish them there are different grades of buffing wheels
                      and cutting compounds start with the coarse and finish with a sisal rag wheel the ball in the timber can and does rotate allowing the ball to be polished on all sides also
                      you are not holding the ball so the heat transfer shouldnt be an issue
                      ive a tumler here with 2 grades of media and run it for 48 hrs the bench grinder method shits on the tumbler
                      taking about 3 mins a ball and with more effort and time you can bring back some very average balls

ball pictured was in average cond done this with MAV here sunday 2 mins only used 2 wheels

- - - Updated - - -

yes i need a new spade bit

thanks KJS
                      Attached Files

Comment

[MENTION=10178]john17a[/MENTION] that's a very cool and neat idea, zooming in I can see a very shinny ball and ya six pack

Click image for larger version

Name:	Johns_six_pack.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1847969

- Con

Comment

Originally posted by extendo View Post
                          [MENTION=10178]john17a[/MENTION] that's a very cool and neat idea, zooming in I can see a very shinny ball and ya six pack

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=147250

- Con
                          Closer to a carton than a six pack Con

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

Just want to show you what I meant you could achieve with a little more effort i have some rusty ball here
                            This is 1 i will I'll spend that little more effort

- - - Updated - - -

Just want to show you what I meant you could achieve with a little more effort i have some rusty ball here
                            This is 1 i will I'll spend that little more effort

- - - Updated - - -

This is the end result 5 mins 3 different buffing wheels and a perfectly useable ball I'll do very rusted 1 with a member present here and get him to add his opinion

Sorry pics aren't brighter raining and very overcast here
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow. Amazing result!

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X