Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The future of pinball the hobby

Collapse

General Pinball Discussion.

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The future of pinball the hobby

    How will today's pinball prices impact on the future for this hobby? How many 20-30yo can afford a game if they were interested in pinball?

    #2
    You find that many enthusiasts relive their love of pinball hence a purchase at some stage when $$$$ is not a huge problem. Man of the kids growing up now were introduced into computer games, electronic games, xbox, playstation etc etc you`ll find that they don't look twice at a pinball machine let alone buy one

    Comment


      #3
      It's becoming increasingly unaffordable for those that actually have the passion for it these days. I'm sure there are many pinheads that have the money but with other priorities in life which we all have just can't justify that expense on a machine. One contributing factor of high prices is the home market and not the coin op market which used to buy them in large quantities world wide. Technology has contributed to the demise of pinball and continually higher prices will eventually bury it.

      Comment


        #4
        That's what I think. The glimmer of hope I thought was happening with this mini resurgence in buying new, and hoping newbies could enter via the used market is gone. So yes I think you're right, it is doomed now because new blood can't get in. We killed the housing market for the next gen, and dollars will do the same for our hobby.

        Comment


          #5
          To expensive, I never thought id go back to building cars because its cheaper than pinball...thats just insane

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by angs1957 View Post
            You find that many enthusiasts relive their love of pinball hence a purchase at some stage when $$$$ is not a huge problem. Man of the kids growing up now were introduced into computer games, electronic games, xbox, playstation etc etc you`ll find that they don't look twice at a pinball machine let alone buy one
            Very very true. I've never seen anyone under the age of 40 playing a pinball on site in the last 3 years.
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Whitewater View Post
              Very very true. I've never seen anyone under the age of 40 playing a pinball on site in the last 3 years.
              Hey im 29 lol
              live between the flip and the tilt

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Whitewater View Post
                Very very true. I've never seen anyone under the age of 40 playing a pinball on site in the last 3 years.
                You must be hanging out in the wrong places. Just look at competitive pinball, it's full of people under 40.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I only just looked at AMD's latest prices this morning and they have appeared to go up another few hundred $ on all the newer titles. Stern's MSRP hasn't changed and the USD / AUD Dollar has changed alot since the last release, so not sure about others but the Pro's are getting a little too high to keep buying let alone the premiums and LE's.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Nicolas Noben View Post
                    You must be hanging out in the wrong places. Just look at competitive pinball, it's full of people under 40.
                    Your probably right...I don't know anything about the competitive pinball scene, and I don't get out much either

                    - - - Updated - - -

                    Originally posted by swinks View Post
                    I only just looked at AMD's latest prices this morning and they have appeared to go up another few hundred $ on all the newer titles. Stern's MSRP hasn't changed and the USD / AUD Dollar has changed alot since the last release, so not sure about others but the Pro's are getting a little too high to keep buying let alone the premiums and LE's.
                    Your right, the Aussie dollar has made everything heaps more expensive
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by oldhank View Post
                      Hey im 29 lol
                      Me too

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I loved pinball from when i was a kid, parents couldn't afford one so could only play in arcades and cafe's, most of the time scraping for 20c coins to play. The fact that I couldn't afford to buy one until i was around 35 never changed a thing.
                        I dont think the ability to own/purchase a pin determines whether or not you love them.

                        Comment


                          #13

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by peely View Post
                            Plenty of games onsite now compared to a few years ago. Lots of options for $1 to 2 a game.
                            You don’t have to buy nib games, plenty cheaper and better value.
                            Alternative golf is an option. Private club 15k joining and 4K subs py or alternatively $30 per play green fees. Maybe lawn bowls also

                            Lots of variations and cheaper options in both hobbies


                            Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
                            You picked one of the more expensive golf clubs I'm thinking. Do most cost this? It's seems like me saying buy a nib and it will cost $25k when referring to b66 but I could be wrong on golf fees. Your casual fee sounds more like the regular private club fees though

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by pinball god View Post
                              How will today's pinball prices impact on the future for this hobby? How many 20-30yo can afford a game if they were interested in pinball?
                              Thats why they need to be put on site.

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X