Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Rock-Ola 484 issues :(

Hi,

I have a Rock-Ola 484 in need of some TLC :( Was playing fine until recently, when it started putting records back in wrong slots and finally would not start at all - it lights up just fine but none of the mechanical parts work anymore. I've got the service manual for it - any ideas where I should start troubleshooting? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

rockola fun!

Based on your question, i would say that the power supply, is where i would start first. There are 8 fuses here to check. Some are outside, and some are inside. Just be sure to turn off the unit first, and allow at least 1 min for the capasitors to discharge. Check the fuses with a meter, because the old glass fuses can still break beyond the site of the glass, breaking at the ends, and would still appear to visually be ok. Now if all tests ok, then its possible that the unit would need to be replaced. However,, in the manual, there are testing procedures for the power supply, using a meter. Hope this helps

P.S. Am i correct in assuming that before it quit all together, that it was pulling records from the wrong slots???? This could lead to another issue. Let me know

Edited by mrbuggggg
further questions

• 2 months later...
Based on your question, i would say that the power supply, is where i would start first. There are 8 fuses here to check. Some are outside, and some are inside. Just be sure to turn off the unit first, and allow at least 1 min for the capasitors to discharge. Check the fuses with a meter, because the old glass fuses can still break beyond the site of the glass, breaking at the ends, and would still appear to visually be ok. Now if all tests ok, then its possible that the unit would need to be replaced. However,, in the manual, there are testing procedures for the power supply, using a meter. Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips, will get on it shortly. The jukebox has been sitting quietly in the corner but hasn't for some reason magically fixed itself yet :D

P.S. Am i correct in assuming that before it quit all together, that it was pulling records from the wrong slots???? This could lead to another issue. Let me know

I don't remember if it was pulling them from wrong slots, but it definitely was putting them back in wrong slots, and in general behaving erratically re: the magazine assembly.

Also, the gripper must be in need of re-lubricating as it always had a tendency to stick after a long period of sitting still. What sort of a lubricant should I use?

I got one of these real cheap years back. It was doing some crazy things as well, mostly though it just kept turning the records, every now and then it would grab one but it was never consistent. I ended up replacing the little infra-red counter on the drum, gave the mechanical arm a clean and re-lube and the things worked great ever since. Hope this helps and good luck.

Actually come to think of it, we did have some power trouble at one point as well, every now and then the unit would just cut off. We took the power supply out and it had a couple of big old capacitors in there that looked a bit worse for wear, put some new ones in and its ran like a dream ever since.

• 3 weeks later...
Based on your question, i would say that the power supply, is where i would start first. There are 8 fuses here to check.

Bingo. I started tinkering with it and noticed that the +32V LED wasn't on. Checked all the fuses, they seemed to be OK, put them back in and now it just works. Must have been an oxidised contact on one of the fuses.

• 10 months later...
I brought a Rock-Ola 484 Jukebox yesterday from eBay and we were told it had problems so we had a look at it and replaced the fuses but when you plug it in it starts up and then it trips the safety switch in the house, does anybody know what the problem could potentially be?

I brought a Rock-Ola 484 Jukebox yesterday from eBay and we were told it had problems so we had a look at it and replaced the fuses but when you plug it in it starts up and then it trips the safety switch in the house, does anybody know what the problem could potentially be?

Hello..

well this thread should of been in the "Jukebox Repair Help" section..

As for manuals, i will have them.. as for lubrication i have a special oil i imported from the USA for jukeboxes & i have tec' sheets on where & how oftern you should oil your machine..

cheers, your friendly jukebox tec' :)

The Jukebox Emporium

Edited by RocK-Ozla