Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Act jukebox wood cutter

just dive in mate, its worth trying. That is what I am doing.

Some tips though

- Get a a decent circular (craft) saw with a thin blade, this will make cutting lines easier.

- Get a decent jigsaw, crap ones wont cut straight.

- buy some filler.

Also aim for a simple design, putting wood together is just like doing a jigsaw. I am learning too, and to be honest, i am using the experience to slowly up my skills to do some more woodworking around the house.

Hire the tools if you have to, but plan all your cuts up front so that you can do all the cuts in an hour or two and then you wont need the tools as long

It does sound easier than it is but its worth it.

I have the building skills of a blind, armless man with dislexia when it comes to measuring.

But I have started to try it anyway. The worst that happens is I stuff up and need to try again. MDF is pretty cheap and you can always borrow tools or buy them anyway

I just saw this on Ebay. This would make a fantasic frame for a Jukebox

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PRO-MIXING-DESK-STAND-on-Heavy-Duty-Locking-Castors_W0QQitemZ330337762323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Pro_Audio?hash=item4ce9aa3c13&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

All you need to do is put some 12 ml MDF on the back front and sides and paint it, or you could keep it bare bones and throw in a touch screen.

Might be worth it if you are unsure.

If my woodworking skills fail me I may look at something like this.

Dan

• Administrators

If you bought that, you'd be doing so much woodwork anyway, it'd be cheaper, quicker and easier to do the lot yourself. I'm shit at woodwork and I built my first one. Amazing what putty and paint can fix up LOL!

Brad

Just give it a go.. most people in this forum don't have much skills with woodworking.. I don't have much. I now own like 2 power saws, a jigsaw, router and lots of other various things I never had before I started making jukeboxes and Arcade machines.. that or get a cabinetmaker to assist you.

I agree with the guys, just give it a go. But to someone who is nervous working off a frame is a lot easier because you have more of a starting point.

You could always make a bare bones one with the above. By a tool box that goes on the back of a ute, spray it black and fit it to the bottom of the machine then fit a screen. The box holds all your PC parts etc.

Just giving the guy some options

Sabre,

Thought I would give you a bit of encouragement. I have never ever built anything before. My woodworking experience is limited to re-laying about 3 lenghts of decking timber before this.

I have started my jukebox and after initially thinking I would struggle to get to where I am I now have a free standing box and should be ready to paint it this weekend.

Do not get discouraged. Give it a go, it is really rewarding and the confidence you get from doing a small project leads to more and more projects.

Dan

:stupid: :lol

seriously, give it a go. my mate had zippo in experience but i kept at him about it so he went and bought a triton workcentre along with some other tools, he has justified it in building a bar (and a very good bar actually), a very nice pool cue rack with rules board insert, cabinets thru the house, a very nice breakfast bar/island bench etc and of course now he is considering building a cocktail cabinet and i'll help him via email to get it all going (he is in swineflutoria and im not going near there .. ill wait for the germs to come to me:p).

wood is cheap. filler is cheap. depending where you make a mistake everything is usually repairable and if not then back to point one where wood is cheap.:rolleyes

remember what my grandpa always made me repeat before i was allowed to have a saw "measure twice cut once son". :023:

remember what my teacher at woodwork in school many years after that (and such a long time ago) said "keep your soft bits away from hard or sharp bits" :lol

the other option is so or get a plan, get some measurements and take the list to the local mitre 10 or whatever that has a timber section and they will cut it all to size. buy some screws and/or nails, some pva glue and a cordless drill and whack it together. paint/stain/whatever, its an option for a more did it myself experience (or call the local amusement places that site/hire jukes and ask if they got any shells). :cool:

I have never seen a home made wood cabinet that looked any good no offence to anyone who has made one. Original jukeboxes converted look good due to construction of not only just wood and I personally think thats the problem its only wood.I have of prototypes that I sell off for cheap ask sabre he has seen them and they are not much more to buy if not less than trying to build one.Not trying to sell anything just realised wood had lots of limitations