BeatBox - New JukeBox project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeatBox - New JukeBox project

All the various parts of the jukebox arrived this week so i can go buy the wood tomorrow to start the build over the weekend.

I still need to get some new speakers, but am starting with 5.1 junk speakers I have out the back on the fridge for when we have parties, which will be a good start.

So far I have purchased

- 15" touchscreen monitor, used $160
    - 4 colour light chaser, sound modulated - $50

I already have an old p3 under my desk I will be using, but need to get a 500GB drive for it. to go into the machine.

I will likely be making some karaoke/singstar modifications for it later as well.

Should be a simple build and design....I hope.

Will keep you updated and post any pictures, still need to pick up some good looking speaker grills if anyone has any. And also need to get some cathode lighting for around the bottom.

Dan
    Even I ignore me

Good to see a new project up and running.

If you are going to run a few programs, what kind of frontend will you be using ?

I have a bit of Ultrastar (Singstar) stuff here if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC View Post
      Good to see a new project up and running.

If you are going to run a few programs, what kind of frontend will you be using ?

I have a bit of Ultrastar (Singstar) stuff here if you need it.

Not sure what front-end yet, or jukebox software.

I was thinking of Partytime. or SKJ or whatever it is.

I want the easiest for my friends to use, because I dont want to have to explain it all the time, and I have somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 songs ready to go on there. So any advice would be great.

Well any advice on all software for it. I am building a keyboard draw into the setup so don't mind switching out to other applications when the mrs and her friends want a sing star contest.

Dan
      Even I ignore me

Comment

Ok so its not a massive start, but it is a start. Finally got some free time today to run up to Bunnings and get the wood and make 1 single cut. I need to clean this bit up a bit before I use it as the guide for second half. Have to go out in a minute so unable to do that tonight.

But here is a pic of the side.

It is 22.5" deep
        the angle of the screen was meant to be 40 degrees but ended up 43 degrees because half way through I snapped a blade I will try to clean this up with a file or sand paper, or just take an extra CM of it to clean up the angle.

The screen i am putting in is 15" but the design so far would suit a 17 and 19" as well. I am going to come up with some ideas to fill in the space above and below the screen, but I am sure I can put an instruction card and some controls for the lighting etc there if not some form of Marquee will find it's way in.

I also have a shot of the disco lights that will be sitting about 10 - 15 CM below the angle cut. but will sort that out later.

I also bought some Blue Grill mesh for a car at Super Cheap Auto, I am going to cut out part of the front and stretch some white material over the hole, with speakers behind it and will put a black light shining from above it and then put the grill over that. These are semantics though and once the box is together in its basic form I will start making these fancy changes.
        Attached Files
        Even I ignore me

Comment

Finally got some more time to work on this over the weekend, and through a hung over haze got it standing upright by itself now.

Just to start adding a few more back panels to make it sturdy and can start adding all the rest of it.

Am still waiting for my white speaker cloth and casters to turn up too, though my cold cathode black light turned up on Friday

The two stains are from where is was resting against my paint storage rack, and some oil had soaked into the wood, it then soaked into the MDF. I am hoping it wont effect the final finish but can only find out going forward.

This is the first thing I have ever built so to get it to this stage, is surprising even me

I didnt even do woodwork in High School
          Attached Files
          Even I ignore me

Comment

Looks like your making progress... Keep the updates coming....

Classic design so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty View Post
              Looks like your making progress... Keep the updates coming....

Classic design so far.
              Very Classic design. It will change soon though. I am throwing in some nice disco lights etc.

I wonder how well it would operate from an External hardrive.....thoughts?
              Even I ignore me

Comment

I get lazy sometimes and play new songs from a thumb drive....

No issues so far

Don't forget to take photos of the light installation. Very keen to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty View Post
                  I get lazy sometimes and play new songs from a thumb drive....

No issues so far

Don't forget to take photos of the light installation. Very keen to see that.
                  to be honest I am pretty keen to see it too. Still working it out in my head.

I did the classic beginners thing and am kind of planning the details on the fly and only roughly put the idea on paper beforehand.

It should work out alright and hopefully i get some time in the week and on the weekend to do some more.

Cheers
                  Dan
                  Even I ignore me

Comment

Another place to check out for parts for your project is Jacar Electronics.
                    You be suprised on some of the cool things they have there.
                    Speaker grills, speaker cloth, cabinet protective corners.
                    Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by pinballcrazy View Post
                      Another place to check out for parts for your project is Jacar Electronics.
                      You be suprised on some of the cool things they have there.
                      Speaker grills, speaker cloth, cabinet protective corners.
                      Just an idea.

Yeah totally agree
                      I wish we had one local here. I am going to see what it needs when it is painted. It may be that I dont need anything else, though I doubt that
                      Even I ignore me

Comment

Just an update. Had another few hours to work on this over the weekend and it is starting to take shape.

I am still grappling with precisely how I am going to fit the screen in but the math seems about right, give or take a few mm. Though if anyone has any suggestions on getting the screen cover in nicely would be happy to hear it

You can see the casing in place now, the area below is going to be white speaker cloth with UV lights behind it to back light it.

Will fit the castors hopefully before the weekend so it is easier to work with, though I need to go pick up some new washers for the screws.

Also need to pick up a few brackets to hold the speakers etc in place.. I may build some box shelving and mount them to the side so they can not slip around. I have already had a few people asking to borrow the thing for parties and offering to actually hire it. Now I have people asking me to make them one as well.

Its not perfect but good so far for the first wood working I have ever done in my life

Last edited by Dannymh; 29th June 2009, 10:25 AM.
                        Even I ignore me

Comment

Mate that's looking excellent. You're woodworking skills appear perfectly fine to me..

Keep the photo's coming.

As for mounting the screen I would suggest making the MDF surround removable this will allow you to change/work on it as required. You can use some of those mirror screws with the shiny chrome caps over them to bling it up??

Just a thought.

Cheers

Comment

Hey that is a great idea.

I was originally just going to either put plastic caps over the screws or even get some stripp LED lights and use double sided tape to put them over them running down the side over the screw caps.

The mirror screws would totally bling it up

Back to Bunnings in my lunch break methinks
                            Even I ignore me

Comment

I am going through the same thoughts at the moment, I made a "surround" out of 45x20 which I will attach to the MDF front panel. I will use the surround as a "guide and support" when I insert the monitor. Now I just need to figure out what to use to "hold" the monitor in the surround.

Will try to take some picies as it might make a little more sense.
                              Why do programmers get Christmas and Hallowe'en mixed up?
                              A: Because Oct(31) = Dec(25)

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X