Different sort of jukebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different sort of jukebox

Had an idea that i would take an old radiogram (they seem to go cheap usually)
    and smooth it all down and paint it glossy black and install a small lcd and pc and make it a jukebox
    there are a heap on ebay usually but i included a few current examples
    i thought that using the old dials for volume etc would be cool
    has any one had the same thought or already gone down this path??
    i am a bit pissy so that is the reason that the above may not have made sense

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AWA-RADIOLA-R...1%7C240%3A1318
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Schar...1%7C240%3A1318
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Astor...1%7C240%3A1318
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ANTIQUE-RADIO...1%7C240%3A1318
    sigpic

I had the same thought last year got a nice wooden unit from a local shop was $1 and it sat there for months until i thought F#@K it and took to it with an axe and warmed up my shed
    The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Dave here. Got a nice unit in the shed that I picked up for $50 that would suit our house, only to realise I cannot be bothered with it...

Have not got to the axe stage yet but seriously if anyone wants one happy to give it to them. Local only though postage would be too hard......

Comment

considered it my parents have had one since i was a kid and just never used it

i ended up getting a real juke. mine looks similar to one
        you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

I am going to watch ebay for a while till one comes up in my area
          there are some nice ones around
          i will look for one that is not working or partly gutted as i would feel like a crim pulling a working one apart
          sigpic

Comment

hey crafty, got a pic?
            Aussie : (Australian Slang) - a native or inhabitant of Australia
            Arcade : (Generic) - A type of game genre that is a fast-paced action game
            Forum : Noun (Latin/English) - A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Comment

Bazz you're welcome to look at it when you pop over for a beer...

Can show you the cocktail cabinet at the same time

Comment

Yep, thought the exact same thing about a year ago. Picked up an old radiogram for $10 (much like the Astor you have listed on one of your links) and wanted to install a tiny PC and touch screen (Coles type) I scored off a mate (swapped him an Atari 2600 for it).
                After measuring everything up, there was not a chance in hell I was going to be able to fit anything in the old girl. So I decided to build my own type of replica, ended up retaining the original turn table, drawer and light and fitted it to my 'JarrahJuke' as I named her. Not the prettiest of creations, but for my first woodworking project since yr 10 I would say not that bad an effort.

However I still want to grab a sizable old style radiogram/sterogram and do it up - completely original without any indication it's something else. Looks like an FJ, but goes like a Ferrari lol.
                Only problem is in WA here there is bugger all that pop up on the eBay radar (dam eastern staters lol)

Click on the link in my sig for a full write up, not what your after of course but hey you may see how not to do it It wasn't planned, just a whole bunch of free parts put together as I went along.
                My

Comment

good one soup

i like it
                  Will certainly consider a scratch build
                  sigpic

Comment

soup plenty in WA

there was around 10 or so late last year in a perth auction

Comment

Originally posted by narf_ View Post
                      soup plenty in WA

there was around 10 or so late last year in a perth auction
                      lalalalalalalalalalalalal...I can't hear you....lalalalalalalalla

Yeah, I guess you got to to know where to look. I scour the Quokka and Fleabay (subscribed search), and Ross's auctions every now and again, but see many pop up on the eastcoast rugularly (makes sense).
                      Not as bad as the US though, the amount of old *restoration* class of jukeboxes going for next to quids is amazing.

Gemeni - I don't know if my scratch build was the best decision however by doing so I didn't destroy an original in the process given that my hand skills were/are limited, let alone my imagination. I really want to do a mod on a 30'w/40's/50's radiogram, right after I finish my MAME machine then after my Double Dragon II restoration project then after my cocktail build......he he.

Just make sure you keep us all up to date with how you go!
                      My

Comment

usually country second hand shops have them

Comment

I think this one has quite a good shape and look for a jukebox

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ANTIQUE-RADIO...1%7C240%3A1318
                          Why do programmers get Christmas and Hallowe'en mixed up?
                          A: Because Oct(31) = Dec(25)

Comment

Very nice shape for a Jukebox.....Could not build it for the current price.

Comment

yeah nice shape
                              all the good ones seem to be in Vic
                              sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X