Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JUKEBOX SPEAKER SET UP??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JUKEBOX SPEAKER SET UP??

    Hi all,
    I have GEFORCE TOUHSCREEN Jukebox Project and am running Partytime Jukebox Software.

    I have installed the motherboard, HDD, PSU and the machine is running brilliant, although I only have a standard sound / audio card with the jacks in it (pink, blue and green).

    I want to wire 2 x tweeter speakers and 2 x 1000 Watt speakers (with LEDS) that are sound activated (I already have the sound activation device).

    My question is this:
    What is the best setup for wiring four speakers (as above) when I only have the standard jacks on the sound / audio card ??. Do I need to run an amp or is there a simpler way??

    Looking for advice on the what people think is the best option.
    sigpic

    For all your promotional requirements at guaranteed low prices ....
    CUSTOM MADE PHONE COVERS, STUBBY COOLERS, KEYRINGS,
    LANYARDS, WRISTBANDS plus MUCH, MUCH MORE !!!!!!

  • #2
    You will need it to be amplified to get decent sound out of it. I havent mucked around with tweeters , etc. So I dont know what type of crossover you would need.

    All i have used are logitech computer speakers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Be careful with that setup, if you want two 1000 Watt drivers, I assume they are going to be very large woofers (sub woofers). With woofers and tweeters you will kiss your sweet vocal and guitar mid-range goodbye.

      If you want big drivers, you'll need some 4"/6" drivers in the middle there, and probably make crossovers to match based on their freq. response curves. Easy solution would be to find some decent tower speakers (ie: 3 ways) where the drivers are good but perhaps the cabinets are rooted/scratched/water damaged. You could pay nothing for them and rip out the drivers and crossovers.

      ...and of course you will need an amp... a big one if you want 1000W (1000WRMS is an absolute ridiculous shitload of power....you better be building this thing ****ing strong...)
      Fan of good aussie hard rock n' roll?
      Check us out:

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by daics3522 View Post
        I want to wire 2 x tweeter speakers and 2 x 1000 Watt speakers (with LEDS) that are sound activated (I already have the sound activation device).
        I'd take that 1000W figure with a grain of salt. Maybe 100W - 200W RMS. Maybe...

        Yes, you'll need an amplifier. What sort of crossover you'll need will depend on the tweeters. Are they really light plastic (piezo) or heavier with a magnet?
        "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by David_AVD View Post
          I'd take that 1000W figure with a grain of salt. Maybe 100W - 200W RMS. Maybe...
          Yeah as always with cheap audio stuff I guess. 1000W peak at 5% THD maintained for 2 seconds lol
          Fan of good aussie hard rock n' roll?
          Check us out:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gints View Post
            Yeah as always with cheap audio stuff I guess. 1000W peak at 5% THD maintained for 2 seconds lol
            Those PMPO figures are just ridiculous in some cases. I always say "peak power with a tail wind just before they explode"!
            Seriously, 50W per channel of real (RMS) power should be more than enough for any home juke although allow twice that much for the sub channel.
            "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by David_AVD View Post
              Those PMPO figures are just ridiculous in some cases. I always say "peak power with a tail wind just before they explode"!
              Seriously, 50W per channel of real (RMS) power should be more than enough for any home juke although allow twice that much for the sub channel.
              PMPO = Peak Marketing Power Output

              Lets assume a 80% efficent amp (damn unlikely) then you'd need to run those speakers on 3 phase , so yeah, the 1kW ratiung may be a little bit tweaked by the marking people...

              Do the speakers have their own amps built in?

              Cheers
              Jacob

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
                PMPO = Peak Marketing Power Output

                Lets assume a 80% efficent amp (damn unlikely) then you'd need to run those speakers on 3 phase , so yeah, the 1kW ratiung may be a little bit tweaked by the marking people...
                Do the speakers have their own amps built in?
                Cheers
                Jacob
                The speakers I bought off ebay in a boombox car audio setup. I stripped them out and installed them. They have a PCB wired to them for sound activations and that is all. They are 12" diameter.

                I will check the wattage written on them later today and repost. Will send a couple of photos too so you can have a look.
                Cheers
                sigpic

                For all your promotional requirements at guaranteed low prices ....
                CUSTOM MADE PHONE COVERS, STUBBY COOLERS, KEYRINGS,
                LANYARDS, WRISTBANDS plus MUCH, MUCH MORE !!!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh OK, then it sounds like you most definately will need an amp, I wouldn't think a PC port would be rated any more than 2W tops...

                  Car amp sounds like a good match if the speakers were from a car setup (I assume then the speakers would be 4ohm, whereas most home audio gear is setup for 8ohm speakers).

                  As long as your 12v power supply has enough grunt, you will be ok to run a car amp - but remember it will be a little low on its badged output as they really run on 13.8v in a car, not 12v...

                  Cheers
                  JAcob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
                    As long as your 12v power supply has enough grunt, you will be ok to run a car amp - but remember it will be a little low on its badged output as they really run on 13.8v in a car, not 12v...

                    Cheers
                    JAcob
                    It will have to be a BIG power supply as well, the Arcade/PC power supplys will not be able to supply the juice for a car amp. Plus you will probably get hum through the system because you will be using AC power. I think the best solution would be to purchase a home audio amp of Ebay, it will work out a LOT cheaper.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dealing with alot of current here if you go 12 volt car gear... The amp I am about to rip out of my car drew 50 amps, running through garden hose cable (2 guage). That calls for more than a casual 12v desktop supply...

                      I would also buy a decent home amp
                      Fan of good aussie hard rock n' roll?
                      Check us out:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RetroGame View Post
                        It will have to be a BIG power supply as well, the Arcade/PC power supplys will not be able to supply the juice for a car amp. Plus you will probably get hum through the system because you will be using AC power. I think the best solution would be to purchase a home audio amp of Ebay, it will work out a LOT cheaper.
                        Yeah, I thought about it overnight. Arcade PSUs have stuff all 12v current to spare... I have a PC one that has 20A at 12v () but yeah, all sorts of grounding issues can pop up using car gear on a mains supply...

                        Cheers
                        Jacob

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The the speaker setup that has made my Jukebox project grind to a halt - I am completely at a loss of what to do I want something simple like a Logitec or Altec Lansing 2.1 system, but reading reviews etc, they're all made to be put on your computer desktop - not a jukebox cab.
                          I've got eyes on ebay for something special, but until that turns up, my project is on ice
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The easy way to put car stereo gear into a cabinet is to hook it up using a big-assed 12v battery as a capacitor. It smooths out the AC power supply noise, it takes all the LARGE peak power requirements and smooths them out, and they work brilliantly.
                            I did it using only a PC power supply.

                            When the PC is on, it is charging the battery.

                            A car battery can take anywhere from 350amp shock loads up to 600amp. CCA rating is the Cold Cranking Amps. For starting your engine. So if you were to crank the thing RIGHT UP for a few seconds it will handle it, when your ears begin bleeding you will turn it back down to sensible levels and the battery will begin charging again.

                            I used a battery from a UPS in my project. Worked great.
                            Hooked up 2 car stereo amps, one for the 6x9's and the other for the sub which was bridged.
                            Retired

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by biggeorge View Post
                              I used a battery from a UPS in my project. Worked great.
                              Hooked up 2 car stereo amps, one for the 6x9's and the other for the sub which was bridged.

                              How bout a couple of pics george to see how you did this.....
                              sigpic

                              For all your promotional requirements at guaranteed low prices ....
                              CUSTOM MADE PHONE COVERS, STUBBY COOLERS, KEYRINGS,
                              LANYARDS, WRISTBANDS plus MUCH, MUCH MORE !!!!!!

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X