Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Arcade Attract Lights Board

As you can see, the board is designed and built. What I haven't done yet is to write the code that runs in the micro-controller.

What sort of features would people want? Patterns? Modes?

I think a standard chase pattern would be needed, but depending on the size of the micro, a number of patterns would be good. Hey Dave, have you been buying your caps from Altronics? :lol

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

As you can see, the board is designed and built. What I haven't done yet is to write the code that runs in the micro-controller.

What sort of features would people want? Patterns? Modes?

How many patterns can you get out of 8 leds? Probably have to double them up or something , hey ?

I think a standard chase pattern would be needed, but depending on the size of the micro, a number of patterns would be good.

Plenty of room for chase patterns. Maybe a few fixed ones (say 4 or 8) with an auto changing option?

The board has inputs for a three separate button inputs. I was thinking that it could chase the illuminated 0-9 buttons using 4 output groups. The other 4 outputs could drive the other button lamps steady most of the time? Not sure what button interaction would be needed. :unsure

Hey Dave, have you been buying your caps from Altronics? :lol

Yes, we get a lot of values from them.

Each output should be good for about 175mA if they're all on. (more current if less outputs are on at one time) With standard lamps, that's about 2W (12V) to 4W (24V) per output which should be enough for most juke applications.

I'll get started on the chase pattern code. You guys need to throw around some ideas for how the chasing / steady / whatever states are triggered by some button activity.

If there's enough demand, I'll look at designing a simpler chaser for strings of low voltage (12V / 24V) lamps.

• Administrators

Well the power of the LedWiz is the fact that you can program it. You can program patterns, brightness and colour. Is it worthwhile making yours with a similiar capability or something a little less ambitious?

Brad

Well the power of the LedWiz is the fact that you can program it. You can program patterns, brightness and colour. Is it worthwhile making yours with a similiar capability or something a little less ambitious?

No. Too much development time. I'd never get the money back.

For an arcade machine, I was thinking of having it chase when there's no joystick activity for a while. Sort of a "screen-saver" mode if you like.

For a juke, it's a little harder as the button configuration is quite different and there's not the same type of interaction.

For a juke, the board would be good to run a series of LEDs, such as in Harts jukebox.

Do the individual LEDs chase in that one or just come on as a group?

Could a simple idle-triggered attract mode be incorporated into your recent push-the-microswitch-to-light-the-button board?

Not really. It would require a different circuit. A good idea though.

Maybe 6 or 8 inputs and outputs but with some smarts to do the idle chase?

BTW, the new aux output socket and smart headphone socket PCBs are now available for sale.

Edited by David_AVD
Automerged Doublepost

<nerd>

I have done software (interrupt driven) pwm before. The main hassle with it is not the basic pwm itself but interacting with it. eg. fades, etc.

</nerd>

fair enough, I can agree with that part:

Script:
Data 1 , 27 , 1 , 240 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 241 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 242 , 3 , 255
Data 1 , 243 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 244 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 245 , 3 , 255
Data 1 , 246 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 247 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 248 , 3 , 255
Data 1 , 249 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 250 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 0 , 3 , 128
Data 1 , 1 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 2 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 3 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 4
Data 3 , 255 , 1 , 5 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 6 , 2 , 255 , 1 , 7 , 3 , 255
Data 1 , 8 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 9 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 10 , 3 , 255 , 1 , 11 , 15

A snippet from a project from nearly 3 years ago. Takes me a long time to remember how it all worked :D - the light engine could run a script, and was able to run 16 LEDs with 16 brightness levels. The script supported branching, looping, jumping and restarting. Was in the format of [command] {argument} - argument was not needed for all commands. Was a bit kludgy, and would do it a bit more elegantly these days. Limited code space led to packing a bit of data together, such as the "SetLed" command would have a 1 byte argement, upper nibble=LED number, lower LED nibble=LED brightness. Was a headache to do manually, so wrote a compiler for the script too :)

And yes, they are basic data statements. Most of the time I use Bascom compiled basic for AVR programming, except for ultra tight timing stuff. Much nicer to use a "easy" language and IDE, even though I don't get full nerd points :)

Cheers

Jacob

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/RosyGlow19/2nerds.jpg

:badgrin:badgrin

Now that is classic :lol

Edited by AskJacob
Automerged Doublepost

That's similar to a Christmas light controller I made. Mine was much simpler with only 4 channel bit states. The other 4 bits were the delay to the next pattern or the EOF marker. I threw it together just before Christmas one year and never got around to making a nicer (better featured) version of it.

I like your interpreted command version. That's more like what LEDWIZ would use I presume? I've never actually checked one out, but imagine they have a software utility to program the sequences?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/RosyGlow19/2nerds.jpg

ROFL!! How did you get that picture of Jacob & I ?? :lol

That's similar to a Christmas light controller I made. Mine was much simpler with only 4 channel bit states. The other 4 bits were the delay to the next pattern or the EOF marker. I threw it together just before Christmas one year and never got around to making a nicer (better featured) version of it.

I like your interpreted command version. That's more like what LEDWIZ would use I presume? I've never actually checked one out, but imagine they have a software utility to program the sequences?

ROFL!! How did you get that picture of Jacob & I ?? :lol

Haha - but now the mystery is which is who...

The LEDWiz has a pretty and slick piece of software for visually creating "frames" of led animation. Easy to use, but also a bit limited compared to a scripted version - but really quite a good app from what I have seen.

Cheers

Jacob