Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna Build a Jukebox, which way do I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna Build a Jukebox, which way do I go?

Hey all, I have too much stuff kicking around so its either shift it on, or use it up

So obviously I want to use it up, so Im gonna build a jukebox.

Now in the piles of parts I have

Several sets of component car audio speakers, good ones, not cheapies.
    About 5 amps, ranging from 100W x 4 to 850W monoblocks
    A pair of 12" Subs (soundstream reference), and a pair of 15" ones (JBL's).

So with those I was thinking of using a car audio based system, but power consumption would be a problem. I have a dirty great marine battery, but I would need a huge car charger to feed it, if I didnt want the system to die within the first hour.

IOW battery charger connected to battery ( acts as a giant smoothing capacitor ) to car audio amps. But I dont know if commercially available chargers will cope, and I want to use up parts I have with a minimum of expendiature.

Another option is to use my old home sound amp to run the speakers. Its a Technics one (SA-GX170 @ 100W x 2), bought it new over a decade ago. Wont use the speakers I bought back then, they are Bose units and I cant bring myself to hack them apart.

So I could maybe series up speakers to give the amp a 8ohm load so as not to stress it. I mean series up 2x6" midbases, 2x4"mids, etc.

I dont know if the amp would handle any subs but.

What do people think? Any experience handed down would be golden.

TIA.
    Last edited by Simon_A; 27th September 2008, 12:16 PM. Reason: Found out technics specs

I have sorta decided on how I will do it. Gonna use the Technics amp to drive car audio speakers.

Now I have been playing with SKJukebox, for those that use it without a touchscreen, what buttons do I need?

Also with the on screen keypad how do you use it without a computer mouse?

I was thinking about an arcade trackball for cursor movement, but when you normally click the letters with a mouse, what key is L mouse button on the keyboard? Its not listed in the key binding list.

Comment

You don't need a mouse for SK. I used a number pad, 2 arrows buttons, 2 Alpha Jump buttons and a couple for Clearing a list etc. You can map keys to whatever you want.

Brad
      My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

one of georges remotes
        you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

This is my setup.

Escape . (Numbers 0-9) , Enter , LEFT , RIGHT

Cause its a multifunction machine , the escape button does nothing in SKJukebox, I used to have that button to close the button , but now the close button is on top of the machine .. away from drunk fingers.

If your collection is very large, add in the "Next Letter" buttons, like Brad.
          I think i will have to do that soon.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC View Post

This is my setup.

Cause its a multifunction machine , the escape button does nothing in SKJukebox, I used to have that button to close the button , but now the close button is on top of the machine .. away from drunk fingers.

Adam you should get rid of that enter button as SK can be set to auto accept selections....unless you need it for other apps?

Brad
            My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Adam you should get rid of that enter button as SK can be set to auto accept selections....unless you need it for other apps?

Brad
              Yeah I do need it ... Ultrastar needs it to select stuff.
              People have gotten used to using it ... just in case they make a mistake , they can use the ESC button to cancel their selection.

EDIT : -
              the escape button does nothing in SKJukebox
              See above paragraph .. i forgot that i have it set up that way.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC View Post

This is my setup.

Okay, I know this is baby stepping but please humour me, what do the buttons do (yes I have never done this before) and with the on screen keyboard, how do you type?

Comment

Ok, we will use the pic as an example.

To select the song - Patience , you will have to press 04206 then ENTER
                  042 - Album number
                  06 - Track number

In this setup - theres no need for the onscreen keyboard - u use that when you have a touchscreen screen.
                  You will have to ask Brad or someone , as i have never used a touchscreen with this program.

Comment

Sweet. I have installed just about every front end I could the past couple of days, I liked "The PC Jukebox" but prefered SKJuke, but couldnt figure out the buttons. This is perfect !

Comment

Yep and don't forget that if you press O, this will bring up the options screen and you can remap keys or change/tweak functions.

As for Touchscreen, SK also uses it quite well so that you can do away with all the buttons. Either way works quite well.

Brad

Comment

Okay how did you guys do the interface? Keyboard hack, Ipac?

Im gonna use buttons, wont even worry about the touchscreen.

Comment

I did a keyboard hack. Adam used an Ipac. Either works but encoder is definitely your best and easiest solution.

Brad

Comment

Okay, my plans have changed again, Now I will be using my bose speakers, and technics amp. Got rough sketches of how its gonna go and have been plugging away at my music collection (hell it needed sorting out anyway) and collecting album art for SKJukebox.

For buttons I will have the 0-9, V, B, <-, ->, and out of immediate reach a R, N, P.

All controlled by a keyboard hack job (easy enough, just tracing the tracks is the pain, shoulda used my multimeter).

Plumbed it all together today and gonna start on the woodwork tomorrow.

Even the missus it looking forward to it

Comment

Glad to hear it's progressing...
                              Don't forget photo's.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X