Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been considering 3d printer options....

Collapse

DIY section. 3D Printing, circuit board creation and manufacturing etc.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been considering 3d printer options....

I've been considering 3d printer options.... for a while now

I have been investigating and researching this a bit in the past few years. I have a friend whom does a bit of it, as well as CNC milling on a micro-mill.

I am a master fitter and machinist, currently training to program CNC machines.

Things have developed somewhat since I began researching... there is probably plenty of writing I could do here, but a few thoughts... considerations

-I think the dual head method is the way to go, using the PVA as soluble filler.

-Dual head vs Dual filament : Is dual filament really that messy?. Is Dual head result noticeably better?

-Heated/cooled enclosure? Heated bed? ... Both?

-Print volume?

-I would have thought the ramps/forming aspect may have a home here, given 3D printer could be used to print custom moulds?.

-What is going to be the most effective way to "sample" or "capture" the dimensions of an existing object? (and generating a 3d file)? M.S. k-nex?

Here are a couple of random references...

Jaycar ....
    Pre-built Dual Filament 3D Printer | Jaycar Electronics

Flashforge dual Head ...
    Forbidden

PVA vids...

Scanning?

... and these...

Comment

I'm going to give the Xbox 360 kinect scanner a go. It should be interesting.
      For $17 It's worth a try. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a xbox one kinect
        live between the flip and the tilt

Comment

i did alot of research last year into 3d printers using excel spreadsheets and the flashforge creator pro is the best printer for the pricepoint. Its a copy of the ultimaker if i remember right. Thats what i was going to buy but its heaps cheaper. Best price i could find was in South Australia from an education website.
          It gets great reviews and has a large online community if you need help also.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Trev View Post
            I'm going to give the Xbox 360 kinect scanner a go. It should be interesting.
            For $17 It's worth a try. [emoji6]

I was considering a cheap ebay 3d scanner thats like $150, but I think I might do some more research on the Kinect scanner as well, now that I know you can use them.
            cool idea

Comment

are 3d printers any good at making useable small parts e.g like d-pads for example?

Comment

Yep

What's a d-pad?

- - - Updated - - -

*you could make a new opto interuptor for your judge dredd, or similar game... for example. That part is available though, but for unavailable parts has great potential...

Comment

Originally posted by hvc01 View Post
                  are 3d printers any good at making useable small parts e.g like d-pads for example?
                  The finish isn't perfectly smooth and I wouldn't use parts made from PLA in a pinball machine where they're going to be hit by a ball but I'd say it would work for a D pad (I googled it [emoji16]).

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Trev View Post
                    The finish isn't perfectly smooth and I wouldn't use parts made from PLA in a pinball machine where they're going to be hit by a ball but I'd say it would work for a D pad (I googled it [emoji16]).

Thanks. I like the thought of making plastic parts but I have thought about cast moulding old school style. quite expensive from what I can tell. 3d printing good for models and parts that dont need strength from what i can tell. Is that what you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by razorsedge View Post
                    Yep

What's a d-pad?

- - - Updated - - -

*you could make a new opto interuptor for your judge dredd, or similar game... for example. That part is available though, but for unavailable parts has great potential...
                    up down left right on a controller
                    d = directional

Comment

Originally posted by hvc01 View Post
                      Thanks. I like the thought of making plastic parts but I have thought about cast moulding old school style. quite expensive from what I can tell. 3d printing good for models and parts that dont need strength from what i can tell. Is that what you think?

- - - Updated - - -

up down left right on a controller
                      d = directional
                      It all depends on the material and how you slice the stl file. You can make a solid object from ABS with 100% infill which would be a lot stronger than a PLA item with 20% infill. That's one that has like an internal box section construction. See the pic below.

Comment

It is allot stronger than I expected, Even the PLA is pretty tuff. It would easily take the shocks of a pinball hitting it all day. I can throw printed items on the ground really hard and it wont break

Comment

I have owned a 3D printer few a couple of years now (Rigidbot) but have only just installed dual heads BUT the precision of the print bed needs to be spot on for dual to work.My bed has a tiny warp so I can't get my two head setup to work.

Single head printing need precision but duel head need exact precision.It can be done but be aware it's a lot more work.

Comment

Does your dual head setup use the common rail?

I understand there are different methods of arranging the operation of the two heads, mechanically...

Do two heads move in unison? or two heads moving independently?

Is it hard work trimming away the props using one material?

Comment

On my rigidbot both head are next to each other and mounted on the same rail.This makes aligning the heads in the x and y easy but difficult to get them both level to the bed (z plane).
                              Removing support material can be difficult depending on the shape of the print but I always get a rougher surface left after removing the support.I just try amd make sure the piece is supported at a non important area.
                              There's a google page for the rigidbot if you want to see more.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X