Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Console dust covers prototypes

Collapse

DIY section. 3D Printing, circuit board creation and manufacturing etc.

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console dust covers prototypes

Early stages yet, but wanted to see if there would be any interest in dust covers for game consoles.

The idea came from having my consoles on display for ease of use but the time between game sessions was sometimes vast. So when there was a chance to sit down and play, the consoles are covered in dust and dog fur.

I have prototypes for the Neo Geo AES and the CPS2 A and B stack. The final versions will be double layered with cotton batting for extra protection.

My partner does the sewing by hand and has an established small business already making clothes.

Questions and queries welcome
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Wanted - Neo Geo AES games (PM me Please)
    Wanted - CPS2 game boards (PM me Please)

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Would you look at others

and what price?

I'd be interested in some for my N64 NES GC Sega MD

but I'd like to see maybe characters from those consoles on the cover

mario cart for my 64 for example

sonic for my MD

Comment

All consoles are on the table as options, though I have only a few prototypes right now. Just measuring and testing is the lengthy process.

Do people prefer the elastic bottom or non elastic w with cutouts for cables to be left connected? Perhaps both can be an option.

The fabric available is quite wide and vast, but we are limited to what is currently available as prints. This can be seasonal at times. The covers will be washable and durable.

The big franchises wont be a problem such as Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Japanese Anime etc. Its for this reason I dont see issues with Mario and Sonic fabric being readily available.

Cost, I cannot see approaching $50 but further talks with the seamstress will determine this.

Comment

I own a prototype Neo Geo AES dust cover and I love it. The elastic makes is super easy to slip on and off and gives a snug fit. Definitely a must if you have your consoles on display / hiatus and own a cat or live in a dusty environment. No more feather dusting.

Keen to see more consoles roll out in this range.

Comment

No need for dust covers. After pulling many oconsoles parts I rarely see dust inside even if the outside looks like it can from Mars. Kudos for your entrepreneurial spirit though.

Comment

$50 seems pretty high tbh. Would be interested but prefer it closer to like $10 if I was brutally honest.

I used to make pinball covers and for the body only was like $50. This included magnets and velcro added. So based off that amount of material for the body, you'd be able to make a dozen or so covers?

Comment

FWIW $50 was the ballpark ceiling I came up with. I dont anticipate that it will come to this amount.

The merits of a cover are not only for internal protection, but external upkeep as well and to avoid constant cleaning, as previously stated.

It is prudent for me to point out the rising cost of retro consoles.

Comment

Not quite sure what the cost of consoles have to do with your covers. You are not selling consoles with the covers are you?

The rising cost of consoles should have no baring on you wanting to raise costs to stay in line. I covered $20,000 machines but my charge was still the same if it was a $1000 machine.

Comment

Probably just a passing comment. Makes perfect sense to me what was being implied. Anyhows, much respect for offering the dust covers xb74. Hopefully they help someone and their collection out.

Comment

Lets move on, as we are about to go in conversational circles -

Next post from me will have more concrete details and photos of final samples. Have a good weekend one and all!

Comment

Originally posted by xb74 View Post
                        FWIW $50 was the ballpark ceiling I came up with. I dont anticipate that it will come to this amount.

The merits of a cover are not only for internal protection, but external upkeep as well and to avoid constant cleaning, as previously stated.

It is prudent for me to point out the rising cost of retro consoles.
                        I disagree with the rising cost argument. Seem to have reduced in price over the last 7 years or so. Rare games go up. Most consoles and or games were not rare at all. But getting off topic. Good luck

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X