Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

RIP Holden

Boots

A sad day for Australia and in particular South Australia (where it all began).

J. A. Holden doing cartwheels in his grave right about now.

It was the last day of work for most of the remaining workers today, tomorrow the last car officially rolls of the line followed by fanfare and a celebration for 2017 employees.

The loss of a huge Aussie icon, never to return.

Who would of thought the government and an international company could screw us over so hard:realmad:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad but unfortunately not totally unexpected. Unless you are priced well and have a good reliable product it will eventually go under.

To name just a few.

Leyland - there last attempt to bail themselves out in OZ where some shockers like the P76, Kimberley and Tasman.

Chrysler - valiant had there heyday, Mitsubishi took over and the magna woes went for awhile until the last ditch effort rebadged the 380. Not many takers there.

Ford Australia - 2016

Toyota Australia - 2017 I think.

Holden Australia - 2017.

can't blame government and another company for poor management or vision

OK you have a company with divisions all over the world, do you spend model development and infrastructure money on a potential market of :

A. 25 million people with a government that has a free market.

B. 1.3 billion people with a government that will not allow even a single bolt to be manufactured outside of their country.

That's the reality, Holden's manufacturing made plenty of profit, but it costs lots of money to tool up for a new model and when you have a government that openly dares a company to make a decision as to whether "they are here or not" big companies like GM don't take to kindly to that especially when there are much bigger markets to chase.

1.8 billion dollars assistance to Holden's over 11 years may seem like a lot but when you compare it to the amount of money they inject into the country and especially the local community, it is a very good investment, also considering our yearly bill on welfare is 160 billion

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/federal-budget/federal-budget-2017-welfare-accounts-for-86-per-cent-of-all-personal-income-tax/news-story/fe5c5e7e5139ad9368a83afdfc10b750

50,000 auto workers now out of work, what will that do to our welfare bill?

Just go for a drive around Holden's at Elizabeth, a lot of people have made serious money out of Holden's, these businesses include parts suppliers, engineering, tooling, steel suppliers, and even down to the servo's and coffee shops that no longer have what was at one stage 6000 Holden workers drive past every day

What happens to these businesses?

I think the rot set in when the Gillard Government literally doubled what each production line worker was being paid.

Add to this a $7000 bonus for every new model being made and the list goes on. I saw the unions kill GM in Sydney at Pagewood and this was no different except it didn't do the obvious like in Sydney when they were on strike 4 out of 5 days.

I bet not one of those union officials is unemployed as of tomorrow, only the stupid workers that trusted what they were being told.

You need to look no further than the likes of Woolworths, Bunnings, McDonalds and a host of other large companies that have struck "deals" with the unions and none of those workers are being paid penalty rates before it becomes quite apparent these unions do not represent the workers long term interests providing money gets into the union coffers in the backdoor.

Am I sad, yes I am.

So sad to see the last Aussie car that was designed to be patched up with miles of spare parts everywhere and continue a job for the whole country, not just the city.

Was there better cars, sure there was but this was Australian and it could take what Australia dished up to it, not some foreign import that no one wants to have anything to do with when it hits 10 years old.

The days of throw away cars are now here now that the last "repairable" car has finished.

I have a Holden in the 4 car fleet we have and it won't be the last. I have never bought a new car and never will so I will continue to source good 2nd hand cars for many years to come while ever parts are available and I can only see prices going up on these old original Holdens unlike every other brand and make on the market.

the unions killed Ford and holden.

No government should subsidize a private company, but they shouldn't have hampered them with stupid policies that let the unions have so much control and drain a company.

But again its not the governments place to give money to private companies who cant stand on their own two feet.

having worked on a production line that had union Interference, I can tell you, the productively was the lowest I have seen in a business and not only that the bullying that went on in that business by those union pricks was insane. The factory had some of the best equipment I had ever used, yet you could build something quicker with 1900's hand tools working in the gutter than you could in that shop because of the lack of Productivity from the interference.

I once refused to join a union and the pricks made life for those of us who refused to join a living hell.

guess where that business now gets most of its manufacturing done at now? China.

• Administrators

Problem is the cost of living in Australia is so high workers have to get paid higher wages just to make ends meet. They certainly have no other excuse, the GFC is long gone and the Aussie dollar took a dive.

This is a disgraced. :realmad:

I used to be employed by Mitsubishi Motors for 15 years on South Road. In 2008 its doors shut for the last time.

Chrysler was bought out my Mitsubishi so it has a rich history behind it. I still catch up with my mates to talk about the good old day and to see how things are going.

I feel for the Holden workers I really do because I went thru all that. If anyone is from Holdens some advice, buy something nice with your payout YOU deserve it. Please keep in touch with one another for support because it will become an emotional ride.

Don't worry about work it will come and you will be employed onced again, unless you are returning and if that's the case good luck to you.

- Con

To all the union bashers keep on bashing. See what nurses do in patient care but do you think they get paid enough? They are majority unionised. Unions are a crucial link in industrial relations. My trade is union backed and if it wasn't for that I wouldn't enjoy the work life balance and never to be offered conditions that many employers won't offer. I don't like to concern myself too much with unions political agenda's but you don't need to be part of a union to experience this. So remove all penalty rates for public holidays and weekends and no overtime just a flat rate . Then work on the fair work Act and minimum wage rates and enjoy the escalating cost of living while others, who exploit young teens, migrants and unskilled workers who don't believe a worker has a voice line their pockets.

Then work on the fair work Act and minimum wage rates

you mean the fair work commission that was started and supported by unions? the same "independent" Union backed entente that cut weekend penalty rates, also the same unions that sold workers wages for political donations? Fair work is run by ex union officials.

Once upon a time unions had their place, now they are thugs and corrupt mob of a bastards.

You only have to do a quick search to see how the CFMEU held some big businesses to ransom for political donations, they bullied businesses to pay the union hundreds of thousands of dollars so the union wouldn't push for pay rises which would equal millions of dollars. Essentially the union took the money away from workers for those union officials to put in their pockets to run for government.

Mcdonalds workers wages is also one lot of wages that were negotiated low between the Unions and Fair work.

Not only that pricks spending union money on hookers and what ever else.

Oh and then you have the pricks standing out side the gates of a business threatening to rape those workers children who have decided to not picket and instead work.

The only thing unions are interested in these days is lining their pockets or helping them selves get into government.

You even had the unions backing the closure of a power plant that saw hundreds of their own members loose their jobs, because for some mysterious reason Unions seemed to start caring about Green energy targets more than the workers who worked there? I wonder why that is?

There was a major construction in Brisbane a few years ago where the CFMEU went on strike, and they used Mick Gatto as a "Mediator" lol

You only have todo a quick google search to see how extensive the Corruption is with in the unions.

Union members are being ripped off, businesses are being ripped off and union officials find them selves with heavy pockets and use it as a platform to get some sweet arse government job.

I wonder who those Ford and Holden workers feel about how their union priced them selves out of the market and out of a job, there was also claims that ford and Holden refused on a number of occasion to pay kickbacks to unions so they would forgo pay-rises, and in retaliation unions pushed for those payrises because those companies didnt agree to pay kickbacks.

I can go on all day about it.

and you should Look at the politics your union is playing, after all it is your money that is being spent.

Wonder if the luxury car tax will disappear now that there is no need to protect local manufacturers

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Pretty sure it is going so we can all go out and buy a Tesla (yeah right) ...nothing to do with local manufacturers just the global warming bullshit fraud that is holding this country to ransom.

Pretty sure it is going so we can all go out and buy a Tesla (yeah right) ...nothing to do with local manufacturers just the global warming bullshit fraud that is holding this country to ransom.

What?? None of that makes any sense.. Tesla has nothing to do with the inability for a global corporation to sustain a viable business in a country with a high standard of living/high wages and friendly import policies. Oh and global warming is hardly "bullshit" let alone a "fraud".

- - - Updated - - -

I actually dont know much about this, so forgive the stupid questions.. How will this affect Super Car racing? Will Holdens continue to be made off shore?

I imagine they'll just bring in stuff from other GM entities and race those - Chevy, Buick.. Cadillac..!