Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

RIP my Nissan Patrol.

Gemini2544

My 2003 GU 3 diesel turbo Patrol has either a cracked head or a blown head gasket, it saw the mechanic today failing the radiator pressure test. Either way it's a $3.5-$6k repair. Being a 2003 model with 325,000km on the clock I don't think it's worth the expense to fix. So I'll need to find a new beast to drive or become a single car family. :(
  • Like 2

find a low km zd30 from a d22 navara and drop it in. i've got an old bt50, been nursing it a couple years with a crook head. booked it in for replacement finally. needs new tyres and front wheel bearings as well so about 4k worth of repairs. what else are you going to buy for that money? i'll fix it and keep driving it. even if you decide to sell, there's plenty of buyers for used 4wd's and GU's are fairly desirable.
  • Like 2

find a low km zd30 from a d22 navara and drop it in. i've got an old bt50, been nursing it a couple years with a crook head. booked it in for replacement finally. needs new tyres and front wheel bearings as well so about 4k worth of repairs. what else are you going to buy for that money? i'll fix it and keep driving it. even if you decide to sell, there's plenty of buyers for used 4wd's and GU's are fairly desirable.

Young guy at work just bought a gu 3.0 for 22k

Fanboys for patrols

• Like 1

Still, 325k isn't bad

I call Bull shit here and @Gemini2544

I got an 89 Land Cruiser and with 396,000 klm's it is barely half way to being broken in....Not broken...

If I get the average 800,000 plus Klm's for this old girl it will be just run in by then.

It will also be about 65 years old by then as well....:lol:lol:lol

• Like 1

I call Bull shit here and @Gemini2544

I got an 89 Land Cruiser and with 396,000 klm's it is barely half way to being broken in....Not broken...

If I get the average 800,000 plus Klm's for this old girl it will be just run in by then.

It will also be about 65 years old by then as well....:lol:lol:lol

I decided to pull it down & bring it back from death...ZOMBIE..:o Anyway I've started striping it down. So far the Turbo is out & tomorrow both manifolds & maybe pull the head off too. I have done a few petrol 4,& 6 cylinder engines on my life line so it's not that different so far. Anyway nothing to loose really as it's stuffed anyway.

• Like 3

I decided to pull it down & bring it back from death...ZOMBIE..:o Anyway I've started striping it down. So far the Turbo is out & tomorrow both manifolds & maybe pull the head off too. I have done a few petrol 4,& 6 cylinder engines on my life line so it's not that different so far. Anyway nothing to loose really as it's stuffed anyway.

Throw a 350 chev in it :D

• Like 1

I'd take the time to work with the old girl. We went through a similar delema on our 2003 Pajero. Bought the Paj in 2007 and put 275000kms on it. Cost 30 grand and has cost nothing till now when the brakes failed. Brakes are master cyclinder, ABS, booster all in one unit and cost $3000 to be overhauled. While the Paj is 18 years old now, it just doesn't break.

I'd question any modern vehicle that can go for 18 years and not cost money. That earlier era of vehicles only has what is required to do the job. Now days they are so full of unnecessary electronics that fails and trying to track down replacement electronics is near impossible. I'd prefer to rebuild a head than track down an electronic module that usually only suits one model.

I'd take the time to work with the old girl. We went through a similar delema on our 2003 Pajero. Bought the Paj in 2007 and put 275000kms on it. Cost 30 grand and has cost nothing till now when the brakes failed. Brakes are master cyclinder, ABS, booster all in one unit and cost $3000 to be overhauled. While the Paj is 18 years old now, it just doesn't break.

I'd question any modern vehicle that can go for 18 years and not cost money. That earlier era of vehicles only has what is required to do the job. Now days they are so full of unnecessary electronics that fails and trying to track down replacement electronics is near impossible. I'd prefer to rebuild a head than track down an electronic module that usually only suits one model.

I have started pulling the engine down as I have nothing to loose really. So far the motor is stripped down to the Head Rocker Cams. I'm hoping to have the head off by the weekend so I can find out if its the head or just the head gasket. I bought a new car for Leanne 3 months ago & a couple of Pins, I'm skint for cash so I have to fix it myself, No choice.

DSC_1628.thumb.JPG.80f2c533b7b5ad955945c73155601285.JPG

• Like 2

Cool, a diesel teardown. Any chance to learn a bit about diesels, I'm in. A Nissan too. I have a D22 myself.

This is my first Diesel pull down. Our town doesn't have any shops, Pub or even a Petrol Station...But we do have a Diesel Mechanic so, I have him to fall on if I'm stuck for a smaller fee.

This is my first Diesel pull down. Our town doesn't have any shops, Pub or even a Petrol Station...But we do have a Diesel Mechanic so, I have him to fall on if I'm stuck for a smaller fee.

Yer I haven't had the pleasure yet either. Any petrol from single to V8 I have done multiple times but never a diesel. Ran my tractor out of fuel and had to call in the diesel mechanic simply to get the air out of the system, the whole system. Every injector, every joint, multiple parts of the pump and the filter. 4 hours later and after flattening 5 batteries, it started. Seems the self purge on the pump doesn't always self purge.

Yer I haven't had the pleasure yet either. Any petrol from single to V8 I have done multiple times but never a diesel. Ran my tractor out of fuel and had to call in the diesel mechanic simply to get the air out of the system, the whole system. Every injector, every joint, multiple parts of the pump and the filter. 4 hours later and after flattening 5 batteries, it started. Seems the self purge on the pump doesn't always self purge.

Yep! never run a diesel dry, it will cost you, the injectors don't like it either. I've done a few petrol engines from 1,4 & 6 cylinder so I can say so far it's not that much different, one thing I have noticed is the bolt torque is huge. un-doing some had me hanging off the ratchet wrench. Lucky I have a long torque wrench left over from my aircraft days, I needed it for torquing up the propeller bolts.

Yep! never run a diesel dry, it will cost you, the injectors don't like it either. I've done a few petrol engines from 1,4 & 6 cylinder so I can say so far it's not that much different, one thing I have noticed is the bolt torque is huge. un-doing some had me hanging off the ratchet wrench. Lucky I have a long torque wrench left over from my aircraft days, I needed it for torquing up the propeller bolts.

Yer, massive torque on diesels and the torque down pattern is important not that it's isn't on a petrol anyway.

Off topic, you had much to do with the lifter on your tractor?. I have no drive for the implements...3 point hitch. Front hydraulics is working fine but nothing at the arse end, only PTO and attachment hydraulics but no hitch hydraulics.

Could be a teardown, tractor teardown to rectify. I'll PM if you have any ideas.

Yer, massive torque on diesels and the torque down pattern is important not that it's isn't on a petrol anyway.

Off topic, you had much to do with the lifter on your tractor?. I have no drive for the implements...3 point hitch. Front hydraulics is working fine but nothing at the arse end, only PTO and attachment hydraulics but no hitch hydraulics.

Could be a teardown, tractor teardown to rectify. I'll PM if you have any ideas.

Most Tractors have two hydraulic reservoirs, the one for the TPL arms is in the floor look for a round disk in the matt or floor. Under that disk is a screw top and some have a dipstick some don't so check the fluid level. If you have lost fluid it will stop the arms lifting. What breed is your Tractor?

Most Tractors have two hydraulic reservoirs, the one for the TPL arms is in the floor look for a round disk in the matt or floor. Under that disk is a screw top and some have a dipstick some don't so check the fluid level. If you have lost fluid it will stop the arms lifting. What breed is your Tractor?

SHK 445...40 HP 4WD. Fiat motor, chinese body.

Yep got the service manual and parts manual. Got 6 UTube videos for the tractor as well. Problem is not real clear pictures in some parts of the manual. Has a wind tap under the seat to control the speed the impliment goes down. Found that. Didn't make any difference. Manual does suggest low oil in that circuit. Has 3 systems if you include the power steering.

Ready to throw on the ripper to dig some trenches and found I had no lower hitch arms and the drive won't work. I"m grabbing some 70 X 8mm flatbar so I can make the arms once I work out the geometry but I've gotta get this drive working first.

• Like 1

WP_20180405_14_55_53_Raw.jpg.111d5cfb8497442f689285ff56ae2231.jpg Ahh tractors the biggest money pit of them all we had to get a new clutch put in ours they had to pretty much pull the whole bloody thing apart n cost us close to 7 grand after getting it back we only got about 8 months out of it before the bush fires of 2019 claimed it, the farm the dairy and every thing else I do miss sitting on it for hours on end slashing away
  • Like 1