Car Discussion

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP my Nissan Patrol.

My 2003 GU 3 diesel turbo Patrol has either a cracked head or a blown head gasket, it saw the mechanic today failing the radiator pressure test. Either way it's a $3.5-$6k repair. Being a 2003 model with 325,000km on the clock I don't think it's worth the expense to fix. So I'll need to find a new beast to drive or become a single car family.

I guess it's no longer a Nissan Patrol...Bad Luck!

Comment

Make it quick, two bullets straight into the radiator Doug...sorry for your loss....

Comment

Originally posted by thegrunta666 View Post
        Make it quick, two bullets straight into the radiator Doug...sorry for your loss....
        Yeah, Right between the headlights..

Comment

Thats common for the gu 3.0 i recall
          hand grenade motors
          you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

find a low km zd30 from a d22 navara and drop it in. i've got an old bt50, been nursing it a couple years with a crook head. booked it in for replacement finally. needs new tyres and front wheel bearings as well so about 4k worth of repairs. what else are you going to buy for that money? i'll fix it and keep driving it. even if you decide to sell, there's plenty of buyers for used 4wd's and GU's are fairly desirable.
            The HillDweller

Comment

Originally posted by kramer View Post
              find a low km zd30 from a d22 navara and drop it in. i've got an old bt50, been nursing it a couple years with a crook head. booked it in for replacement finally. needs new tyres and front wheel bearings as well so about 4k worth of repairs. what else are you going to buy for that money? i'll fix it and keep driving it. even if you decide to sell, there's plenty of buyers for used 4wd's and GU's are fairly desirable.
              Young guy at work just bought a gu 3.0 for 22k

Fanboys for patrols
              you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Originally posted by narf_ View Post
                hand grenade motors
                Yes, the GU series 1 & 2 were the worst, mine is a series 3 so most issues were sorted out. I read somewhere that the early ZD30 engines almost bankrupted Nissan Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by narf_ View Post
                  hand grenade motors
                  Still, 325k isn't bad
                  Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

Comment

Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post

Still, 325k isn't bad
                    I call Bull shit here and Gemini2544
                    I got an 89 Land Cruiser and with 396,000 klm's it is barely half way to being broken in....Not broken...

If I get the average 800,000 plus Klm's for this old girl it will be just run in by then.
                    It will also be about 65 years old by then as well....

Comment

Originally posted by DAG View Post

I call Bull shit here and Gemini2544
                      I got an 89 Land Cruiser and with 396,000 klm's it is barely half way to being broken in....Not broken...

If I get the average 800,000 plus Klm's for this old girl it will be just run in by then.
                      It will also be about 65 years old by then as well....
                      I decided to pull it down & bring it back from death...ZOMBIE.. Anyway I've started striping it down. So far the Turbo is out & tomorrow both manifolds & maybe pull the head off too. I have done a few petrol 4,& 6 cylinder engines on my life line so it's not that different so far. Anyway nothing to loose really as it's stuffed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post

I decided to pull it down & bring it back from death...ZOMBIE.. Anyway I've started striping it down. So far the Turbo is out & tomorrow both manifolds & maybe pull the head off too. I have done a few petrol 4,& 6 cylinder engines on my life line so it's not that different so far. Anyway nothing to loose really as it's stuffed anyway.
                        Throw a 350 chev in it

Comment

I'd take the time to work with the old girl. We went through a similar delema on our 2003 Pajero. Bought the Paj in 2007 and put 275000kms on it. Cost 30 grand and has cost nothing till now when the brakes failed. Brakes are master cyclinder, ABS, booster all in one unit and cost $3000 to be overhauled. While the Paj is 18 years old now, it just doesn't break.
                          I'd question any modern vehicle that can go for 18 years and not cost money. That earlier era of vehicles only has what is required to do the job. Now days they are so full of unnecessary electronics that fails and trying to track down replacement electronics is near impossible. I'd prefer to rebuild a head than track down an electronic module that usually only suits one model.

Comment

Originally posted by Boots View Post

Throw a 350 chev in it
                            Need Diesel out here so I don't set the paddock on fire in Summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
                              I'd take the time to work with the old girl. We went through a similar delema on our 2003 Pajero. Bought the Paj in 2007 and put 275000kms on it. Cost 30 grand and has cost nothing till now when the brakes failed. Brakes are master cyclinder, ABS, booster all in one unit and cost $3000 to be overhauled. While the Paj is 18 years old now, it just doesn't break.
                              I'd question any modern vehicle that can go for 18 years and not cost money. That earlier era of vehicles only has what is required to do the job. Now days they are so full of unnecessary electronics that fails and trying to track down replacement electronics is near impossible. I'd prefer to rebuild a head than track down an electronic module that usually only suits one model.
                              I have started pulling the engine down as I have nothing to loose really. So far the motor is stripped down to the Head Rocker Cams. I'm hoping to have the head off by the weekend so I can find out if its the head or just the head gasket. I bought a new car for Leanne 3 months ago & a couple of Pins, I'm skint for cash so I have to fix it myself, No choice.

DSC_1628.JPG

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X