Car Discussion

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kimbleseven View Post
    Found this RACV page explaining hydrogen fuel cell cars in simple speak.
    https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/mo...explained.html
    Looks promising as it is better than batteries for range and is even used for transport trucks etc.
    "Hydrogen is seen by many industry figures as a more logical fit for heavy-commercial vehicles and transport. Hyundai Australia Senior Manager of Future Mobility and Government Relations Scott Nargar predicts that everything that runs on petrol today will be battery electric powered in the future while everything that is diesel-powered today will one day be hydrogen-powered. So most passenger cars and SUVs will eventually be battery electric powered, while light and heavy commercial vehicles will run on hydrogen."

Sensible prediction. It means Gemini can tow his caravan after all 😃
    Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

Comment

Originally posted by kimbleseven View Post
      Found this RACV page explaining hydrogen fuel cell cars in simple speak.
      https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/mo...explained.html
      Looks promising as it is better than batteries for range and is even used for transport trucks etc.
      Aside from a little heat, the only thing a hydrogen-powered vehicle emits from its tailpipe is water vapour that is technically clean enough to drink

I wonder if anybody would try to prove this

Comment

Mate, I've seen footage of Khrushchev or someone drinking water from a lake terra formed by an atomic blast. Pretty sure drinking that tail pipe water will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post
          Mate, I've seen footage of Khrushchev or someone drinking water from a lake terra formed by an atomic blast. Pretty sure drinking that tail pipe water will be fine
          He's dead now, right?

Comment

Hydrogen fuelled combustion engines do produce NOx nitrous oxide or nitrogen oxide or something along that line which isn’t good for people or the environment. So I wouldn’t recommend sucking off the tailpipe. But imagine if you can catch that emission & store it into your onboard NOX tank and really get a boost.

Comment

Originally posted by hotty View Post
              So I wouldn’t recommend sucking off the tailpipe

Comment

Originally posted by hotty View Post
                Hydrogen fuelled combustion engines do produce NOx nitrous oxide or nitrogen oxide or something along that line which isn’t good for people or the environment. So I wouldn’t recommend sucking off the tailpipe. But imagine if you can catch that emission & store it into your onboard NOX tank and really get a boost.
                Edit: In previous comment, I missed the combustion engine part. I was referring to hydrogen fuel cells.

So <cough> Sorry <cough> Phil <cough>
                - The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

- I'm not superstitious... just a little stitious

Comment

Imma up the bet to THREE litres of petrol. Sony has unveiled the PlayStation 6 😄

Comment

Originally posted by dzhay1981 View Post
                    Don't modern nuclear power plants take like 20 years to build? That's the main technical barrier in Australia, putting aside the fact that it's more costly than any other option and politically unsellable.
                    In Australian time it would take 30 years I reckon...

And then after 5 years they'd find the cracked panels and insulation wasn't up to standard etc etc.

Plus all our fitters are down coal mines so they'd have to import the labour and we don't have many spare hands-on engineering types floating around any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick80 View Post

In Australian time it would take 30 years I reckon...

And then after 5 years they'd find the cracked panels and insulation wasn't up to standard etc etc.

Plus all our fitters are down coal mines so they'd have to import the labour and we don't have many spare hands-on engineering types floating around any more.

I can't argue with the sentiment, however we have no control over car manufacturing. The rest of the world isn't going to say 'oh hold up. Let's wait a couple of decades for Australia to catch up' 😄

Comment

Chevrolet have a flying car if that helps your bet, BUT... it electric.......God help us!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/g...cars-concepts/

Comment

Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post

Edit: In previous comment, I missed the combustion engine part. I was referring to hydrogen fuel cells.

So <cough> Sorry <cough> Phil <cough>
                          It’s the first four words...🙄 ...that cough between sorry tells me you better get a covid test.
                          Last edited by hotty; 14 January 2021, 04:17 PM. Reason: cos he’s a dumbass LOL

Comment

might up the bet to FOUR litres. At this rate I'll get a full tank of fuel for my ultralight 😄

After I use up that tank I'll convert it to electric because it'll be too expensive to fly otherwise...

https://thedriven.io/2021/01/18/firs...an-shores/amp/
                            Last edited by danny_galaga; 19 January 2021, 12:30 PM. Reason: Lost count of how many litres !

Comment

For your bet, I think the date in your might be a few years off, if you said 2040 then I'd agree that you would win it, 2030 is cutting it a bit too close to be certain.

For comparison, the UK is looking at 2030 for banning internal combustion engines, the original date was going to be 2040 but they're wanting to bring it forward. In that law, it is prohibited to sell any new car with petrol or diesel engines after 2030 with hybrids allowed until 2035, but 2nd hand sales are still allowed for now.

Most of the time Australia's usually behind other countries on these things, so if thats the UKs date, I doubt we would be ahead of them.
                              www.pinballmuseum.com.au
                              www.facebook.com/pinballmuseum

Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date with everything going on at the Australian Pinball Museum: www.pinballmuseum.com.au/?p=Newsletter

Comment

Yes, so no manufacturer is going to be making any new petrol engined cars for the UK market. it's very unlikely that only the UK will mandate this. And if that's the case, then by 2030 you will not be able to buy a new petrol engined car and I win my bet.

It's true that we are quite backwards here and visitors could be forgiven for thinking they'd arrived in Havana instead of Sydney what with all the old cars that will undoubtedly still be roaming the streets. But that's not my bet 🙂

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X