Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sales people piss me off.

Just felt like blowing off a little steam. I bought this pioneer mp3 car stereo on sunday night from jb hi fi and the salesman was nice as can be to me. Anyway i get their latest advert today and from yesterday they were giving away a free ryobi drill with it.

So i went back today to exchange the stereo and get the one with the drill and the guy was like 'too bad, you bought it on sunday deal started on monday'. The guy was just being a real asshole to me, so i'm like 'no look here, the thing is still in the box i have a receipt, your exchanging it and you can go get fucked'. Anyway i got in a huge arguement with the guy and finally he was like 'ok take it, but consider yourself lucky this time because it won't happen again'. I'm like WTF? all i wanted to do was exchange a new stereo and i had to cause a huge scence and kick up a fuss to do. The guy was just a dickhead, he was the regular guy there and he would have known on sunday night that the next day they would be giving away a free drill with it.

So if you ever go to jb hi fi at miranda don't buy from sam, or better yet tell him to get fucked for me.

Anyone got any similar stories, my mate had the same thing happen to him the other day when he bought a camera and then a couple days later they were giving away a free lens with it. But because he had used it they wouldn't give him the lens.

The problem there was the use of the term EXCHANGE. You should not say "I wanna exchange my XYZ for a XYZ with a freebie".

You should instead say "This XYZ you sold me wont work with my car sound system. I want my money back or store credit, I dont care, just take your piece of shit back". Then when you get it back, go to the shelves get one with the freebie and say "I wanna buy this XYZ with freebie".

That way...

1) He can't do shit

2) If he sooks, just say "that was my twin brother with the shitty car sound system, mine rocks". For bonus points add "My twin always seems to get the dickhead saleguys. But you're cool, though". Followed by Rodney Dangerfield-esque eye roll.

That's what i ended up saying basically. I said 'ok, well exchange me the pioneer for that sony system. Then when you have exchanged that for me, exchange that for the pioneer again'. When he worked out i was going to get it no matter what and just cause him alot of trouble he went out the back and got me the drill and said don't bother.

Guy was just being an asshole plain and simple, because i first went to the counter and told them what i wanted they were like 'ok no worries, just go get the drill off the sales guy'.

i have had nothing but good experiences with jb (queensland). i'll tell you what, the more you say no to those sales guys the cheaper their stuff gets. me and a mate went to get a car stereo and we found one on sale for the right amount and said can you do any better - he did a bit better but offered us one worth $900 on sale for $700 for $600. we said it's to dear over and over again and he ended up saying $350. needless to say, we both bought one.

A Tale of 2 sides...

Hi,

I'd just like to add before you go slandering this sales guy you may like to think about it from both perspectives. I can because I work in retail and this thing happens quite a bit. Just today we had a lady return a purfume because she bough it on Sunday and then noticed today that the same purfume was being sold + a free carry bag. She decided she wanted to return the goods and then repurchase it to get the free bag. What you don't realise is that JB, and the company I work for are run by what we call (mis)management. This is a mystical higher power that tells us what to do and how to do it but has never actually had any experience doing it or done it themselves. What you will find is these specials are planned months in advance by management yet the store itself will only find out either the day before or that very day of the special! So, before you go saying he is a dick, why not think about it from his perspective of management not telling him, nor his boss, nor his boss etc etc until the last moment, and also, management telling him not to accept refunds (like you wanted to do) because of the freebie.

There is always 2 sides to the story.

Matt.

Depends, i've worked in sales before too, and i was only a junior and i knew a week in advance when stuff was going on sale. If not from looking at the promotion sheet, just by the large amount of inventory we were getting in. Can't tell me their regular sales guy on sunday night, doesn't know that on monday morning there is going to be a free drill with it. Seeing though jb hi fi doesn't even sell drills you would question why there was a whole heap of them sitting in your department. All he wanted to do was make a quick sale on the night and didn't care less, i can tell he had that sleazy sort of character.

And as with alot of companys with large refunds/returns, the manager has to sign off on them. So when i was checking out the stuff, the manager came over. Here i am thinking 'oh great now i have to go through it all again.' Anyway i explained the situation and she had no problem with it and was very nice, friendly and appologetic about it.

All in all, whichever way you look at it, i am the customer and there is no excuse for him talking to me in a tone or getting angry with me. Only reason i got abusive was because he was being a real smart ass to me. As soon as i got what i wanted i left, but now i regret not talking to the manager about how rude the guy was too me. Having worked in sales i know you often take the rap for something that isn't your fault. But not once did i ever lose my temper or tell a customer where to go.

Hi,

There is always 2 sides to the story.

Matt.

I couldnt agree more- I have been in "retail/wholesale" for 24 years and it is nearly ALWAYS the DICKHEAD management who fail to pass the correct info out to the salespeople on the frontline before Promo's begin , and whats worse is that the DICKHEAD Management are normally off playing golf or on a boat with suppliers sipping chardonnay while the poor pricks in the shops who get paid piss poor money are left to cop it HARD off from the upset clients.

Wotto:D

it is nearly ALWAYS the DICKHEAD management who fail to pass the correct info out to the salespeople on the frontline before Promo's begin

If this is what had happened i would be simpathetic. But when i went to the shop yesterday the guy knew exactly who i was from sunday and by the way he was carrying on he must have known on sunday.

Regardless, that's not what i am upset about. I don't like hearing things like 'well you bought this on sunday, suck shit if that happens on monday.' Then afterwards saying things like 'well consider yourself lucky this time, because i won't do it again' Like A) for some reason he thinks i should be happy with him and thank him. B) Thinks that i would ever buy anything from him again. Absolutely no excuse for being rude to a customer no matter what happens. I was being nice as to him at first, but then he thought that in being nice that meant he could tell me off and i would walk away and accept it. I should be happy that i got what i wanted in the end, but i really feel like he got the better of me. He had this whole powertrip in the end when he finally gave me the thing and thought that i should get down on my hands and knees and thank him. The thing was new in a box with the receipt, wasn't like i came back 2 months later when i had installed the thing and got upset.

My gf's parents buy alot of cars regularly and they always go back to the same mitsubishi dealer. Why? aftersales service. Anyone can be nice during a sale, but when something goes wrong, that's when you see how good a sales person really is.

The company I work for does that to us ALL the time. I hate when they don't tell us about a promotion whatsoever and you find out from the customer and have no idea what they are talking about. Pain in the arse, I just tell them the company are dickheads and poorly managed and they understand from there and surprised to hear me say that.

I remember back when I was working as a computer salesman back in the early 90s....

True you get paid dick, but you could make that paycheck very healthy with a thing called commision.

This customer here just bought a 3 figure item for his CAR. As a salesman that tells me that he has buying power and probably a bit of extra cash (after all it is for a car, not a one-off white good, etc). If I treat him well, he will come back to my store to make any future 3 figure purchases. And when he does, he will probably remember me and come up to me and I will get that 3 figure sale (and commision). If I piss him off, I get nothing but a wanky feeling of superiority (and a kick up the arse if he complains to my boss).

This salesguy was not only a jerk, but a stupid jerk.

This customer here just bought a 3 figure item for his CAR. As a salesman that tells me that he has buying power and probably a bit of extra cash (after all it is for a car, not a one-off white good, etc). If I treat him well, he will come back to my store to make any future 3 figure purchases. And when he does, he will probably remember me and come up to me and I will get that 3 figure sale (and commision). If I piss him off, I get nothing but a wanky feeling of superiority (and a kick up the arse if he complains to my boss).

I couldn't agree with you more. The sale took a whole 2 min, wasn't like i was a customer that spent 20 min hassling him while he could have been serving someone else, i knew what i wanted he showed me the model and i said good i will take it. Probably the easiest sale he will ever make.

The guy was just an idiot, he asked me what the deck was for and i said just as a christmas present for my parents and i even went as far to say that i would have to come back soon as i wanted to completely redo my car. And i wasn't just talking crap, i have the cash and i'm even buying new tail lights for my car tomorrow.

Not only does he lose out from me, but also everyone i have told has agreed that this was appaling customer service and has vowed not to shop there. Word has a way of spreading about stuff like this. Especially when you have friends in the auto industry.

As well, maybe even more so then most people, i have really strong brand and store loyalty. If i find a brand i like or store that treats me well then i continue to use their product. So the guy being a smart ass to me over something trivial was a big mistake.

I don't have a problem with jb hi fi, many times i have been able to find good dvd's/cd's that i haven't been able to get anywhere else and far cheaper, just this salesman in particular.

Hi Family Guy,

I work in a small PC sales/ repairs company. We are currently offering a very similar deal, where if you rent something over a certain amount you get a free portable DVD player...

We knew about this sale/ promo a while before it started and as such, when customers came in to purchase a system before the sale start, we would either give them the DVD Player then (at the time of sale) or inform them when the sale was going to start so they could come back.

My boss did this because of the fact that he knew that if they saw the sale/ promo in the paper a week later, they would come do exactly what you did Family Guy...... this is correct customer service, plain and simple.

It comes down to the bottom line of:

If you don't take care of your customers... someone else will!!

Smit

That's 100% correct Smit. Can't argue with you there. :)

This guys thinking was obviously 'haha by the time he realises the promotion is on, he will have installed it or it will be past the 7 days return and there will be nothing he can do.' So he was having a good laugh at my expense till he realised i had it unopened with a receipt, at which point he still continued to fight with me even though he realised he was screwed.

The drill is not actually that bad, i saw the same one advertised in mitre 10 today for like $70. Only reason i wanted it is i thought it would make the perfect christmas present for my dad, my mum is probably the only one that will work out how to use the cd player :lol

If it was some crappy other little promotion i wouldn't have bothered because the store was about half an hour away and a bitch to park in. If the deck was $10 cheaper or they were giving away a free t-shirt or something i would have just cut my losses. I think a ryobi drill was big enough for me to kick up a fuss about.