Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABC kids

Collapse

For everything other than Pinball and Arcade.

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABC kids

My 2yr old boy likes watching shows on ABC kids.
    He was watching playschool. And they were doing dress ups and turning toilet rolls into people. Instead of just drawing eyes and ears and a smile the hosts drew a face and added a hijab on "aziza"

Interesting the changing face of Australia

Comment

Originally posted by kimbleseven View Post
      My 2yr old boy likes watching shows on ABC kids.
      He was watching playschool. And they were doing dress ups and turning toilet rolls into people. Instead of just drawing eyes and ears and a smile the hosts drew a face and added a hijab on "aziza"
      And your point is?

It's good to see our children bring raised with ideas of cultural diversity, I sure as shit wasn't with the whitewash on TV when I was a kid.

Playschool and ABC in general is outstanding for showing the varying cultural, religious and linguistic makeup of our country.

Comment

Never seen a Jew on playschool that's for sure

Comment

And I've never seen a Tibetan Buddhist or a Sikh on Playschool. It doesn't mean we can't represent other cultures and display diversity for our kids to see.

Comment

The point I'm making is the ABC is pushing aboriginal and Islamic representation over buddist or jewish. What is whitewash?

Comment

Happy for representation for sure. Just not selective representation.

Comment

So we have to represent literally every, single minority culture/religion/belief in Australia? That's gonna be tough for what is an exceptionally multicultural country.

We are seeing more representation of Indigenous culture and Islamic culture because they both make up a significant portion of our population.

Islamic population = roughly 600 000

Indigenous population = roughly 800 000

Jewish population = roughly 90 000

There's also a huge number of other social reasons why our TV (not just the ABC, all of our media) focuses on including Indigenous and Islamic voices in greater numbers. I won't even bother discussing that stuff on here, as I know the responses from a select vocal minority will turn any discussion into a shit show.

Comment

Buddist population ? You wanted representation mate

Comment

WTF. Seriously. How is this a conversation? Who cares what religions or races are represented on ABC kids (or any other forum for that matter). Australia is a very multi-cultural country and the majority of people don't have an issue with that. I truly can't understand how this was even something to start a thread about

Comment

And there are at least 2 presenters of Asian descent on Playschool (that I know of, there may be more) and a whole raft of various Asian programming on ABC in many different forms. Our largest Buddhist community is Chinese, I would say Asian representation on Playschool and ABC has been pretty damn good for a long time.

Your opening post made it sound like you didn't like your children being taught Islamic culture through playschool. Now you want all cultures/religions represented equally? So it's all, or nothing?

Comment

All or none exactly. Either represent more than thisen2 or let kids be kids without it.

Comment

So don't represent any minority groups at all if we can't represent every, single one equally?

So what then? We only show the majority white Anglo-Christian culture? Yeah, that's a great plan. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Comment

Ever seen a Pinball on Playschool?

Comment

Originally posted by Boots View Post
                              Ever seen a Pinball on Playschool?
                              What do we want? More equitable pinball representation on Playschool! When do we want it? NOW!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X