Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sydney's Luna Park

Collapse

For everything other than Pinball and Arcade.

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep, after last nights episode I'm thinking there is evidence of either a cover up or very sloppy police work. Will be very interested in the final episode next Tuesday. For those who didn't see last night, go to ABC iview or see The untold stories of Luna Park's Ghost Train fire
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...-fire/13259246
    Wanted: Aquarius backglass, any Gottlieb EM bits and pieces - nothing is junk to me

Comment

Final episode tonight. Claims organised crime involved in Luna Park fire and covered up by corrupt cops.. Former NSW police officers claim Sydney underworld figure Abe Saffron orchestrated the Luna Park Ghost Train fire
      https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...-fire/12321044
      Wanted: Aquarius backglass, any Gottlieb EM bits and pieces - nothing is junk to me

Comment

For those wanting more enticement to watch tonight, viewer warning includes nudity

Comment

Just truly unbelievable. There was definite widespread corruption and the fire was a massive cover up. Based on the evidence that is now available, there should be some form of new coronial inquest or enquiry, but I'm not holding my breath. People have gotten away with murder and arson and these people will no doubt never be found. I just feel for the families of the victims.

Thanks very much for the heads up on this three part series Mark.

Cheers, Glenn

Comment

I only got to see a bit of the last two episodes but I'll be watching them all again. That is quite the list of corrupt people in high places.

Comment

Summary of last night's episode
              'Set the truth free': Demands intensify for inquiry into police and political 'cover-up' of Luna Park Ghost Train fire
              https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...quiry/12420940

Comment

The amount of ‘new evidence’ uncovered from this 40 year old case is incredible.
                Definitely demands a new inquest and investigation, but whether that happens or not is another thing

Comment

The Park used to have a roller coaster before the nearby new apartment building residents went 'hey that makes noise' and it was shutdown lol

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
                    The old ghost train had the full cars entering the ride from the rear but the operator was at the front. He would send the full cars off, along the front of the ride, 90 degree turn to the back of the ride another turn along the back and finally through "steel one way doors" and that explains why they didn't see the fire, When these doors opened as the car pushed through, the fire would have got a massive shot of air. Once those doors closed you couldn't open them from the inside and inside the ride was dark, it was a ghost train after all.
                    All the models and scenery inside the ride were made by paper masha over chicken wire and over the years, layers of paint and dust.

The cars were pulled around the tracks with a big drive chain as a lot of rides are. Years of grease fallen off the chain, ( we cleaned up such grease piles but that would be twice a year at best and you'd grease that chain daily). I have no idea if the fire got that hot this grease would become a factor though.

I was always told the park had a previous 30 odd year history of fires but all were spotted quickly as was this actual fatal ghost train fire. If that fire got going well it could have burnt the whole park to the ground but instead was pretty contained to the ghost train and I think the "mirror maze" might have got a bit. Either way it could of spread fiercely as the whole place was basically wood made in the 40s.

The place was bulldozed after the fire, (this was years later and this is my major reason why I think arson for financial reasons being the cause is just a silly thought)

Who made money financially having the place sit there rotting for a number of years after the fire?. Certainly not Mr Abe. He lost I imagine his "laundry" until it reopened again.

Once bulldozing started, the new Luna park started to be built. The face was nearly gone for it's fire potencial but money changed hands I guess and with a shitload of fire sprinklers and a lot the original face replaced with fibreglass, the face could stay.

The land, ( 25 acres abouts in total), including the railway sidings behind Coney Island is solely owned by the state government so no one ever owns the park outright> It belongs to the people of NSW so selling the partially burnt park isn't a motive either really is it?

The new owners or maybe better called leaseholders of the "New" park were all Jewish and had no connection to the previous operators. He, the major new leaseholder had spent years building up a massive bus company in Jerusalum so not likely he was even in the country around the time of the fire.

See what I mean, who stood to beniefit?

Here's a spanner in the works, the residence. The ones that bought all the massively expencive high rise appartments with unspoilt views of the harbour that were built around the park but were affected by the noise. They did go all the way through the courts trying to stop that park ever opening again. I had started about 3 months before the new park opened, ( start now and be a cleaner till your games job is avaliable sort of deal), and it was still being decided in the courts during that time. After the park opened they got a last minute time restiction imposed that still exists today. Must close at 11pm. ( Noise restrictions but cash makes that go away every now and then I guess but 11am it is 90 % of the time).

I'm interested to see what new evidence comes out of this TV show. I just hope they don't bullshit about it to make a story that ends in a conspiracy.
                    Did you end up watching part 3?
                    My Pinball brand >>
                    I site machines here >>
                    & I stream here >>

Comment

yep, and I'm happy to go with deliberately lit fire theory.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_giant89 View Post

Did you end up watching part 3?
                        No, didn't see any of it but was interested none the less. So they ended up finding someone to blame or that person is dead so the people of NSW pay?.

Just really sceptical when it comes to all the trial by media, (unaccountable journalists if that get it wrong), going on lately.

To imply those that did the original investigating were wrong, incompetent or worse, corrupt is a pretty big call but it goes further than that. It also implys those journalists working for the same TV network as they do now that would no doubt have seen all the evidence back then were also wrong.

If you really wanted to torch the place back then for arson reasons you would have set fire to either Penny Arcade or Conney Island that are major stuctures as well as being all wood and you would have started it after the place was shut when virtually no one would have spotted it in time and you certainly wouldn't want anyone dieing as a result knowing full well that would result in a corroner's enquiry at the least if not a full blown inquest making it less likely you would get away with it.

Easy to come back decades later and interview those that may have been deemed non crediable back then and give them a voice today while others that were involved and made decisions are now dead unable to explain why such people were uncrediable back then.

You may disagree after all, you guys saw the show, I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post

No, didn't see any of it but was interested none the less. So they ended up finding someone to blame or that person is dead so the people of NSW pay?.

Just really sceptical when it comes to all the trial by media, (unaccountable journalists if that get it wrong), going on lately.

To imply those that did the original investigating were wrong, incompetent or worse, corrupt is a pretty big call but it goes further than that. It also implys those journalists working for the same TV network as they do now that would no doubt have seen all the evidence back then were also wrong.

If you really wanted to torch the place back then for arson reasons you would have set fire to either Penny Arcade or Conney Island that are major stuctures as well as being all wood and you would have started it after the place was shut when virtually no one would have spotted it in time and you certainly wouldn't want anyone dieing as a result knowing full well that would result in a corroner's enquiry at the least if not a full blown inquest making it less likely you would get away with it.

Easy to come back decades later and interview those that may have been deemed non crediable back then and give them a voice today while others that were involved and made decisions are now dead unable to explain why such people were uncrediable back then.

You may disagree after all, you guys saw the show, I didn't.
                          Steve, I can understand your comments, but if you are at all interested in the incident, you should really watch the show. It makes much more sense than just blaming a person for arson as there is a lot to it. Policing back then was very different to today. The corruption appears to go right to the top and it was easier to 'silence' people. There is no doubt in my mind that the fire was not 'just an accident' or an electrical fault, and if you took the time to watch all three episodes, I'm confident you'd agree. Cheers, Glenn

Comment

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian 'considering' second inquest into fatal Luna Park Ghost Train fire
                            https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...uest/100056548

Comment

Originally posted by bossninja17 View Post
                              NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian 'considering' second inquest into fatal Luna Park Ghost Train fire
                              https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...uest/100056548
                              I really hope they do. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Comment

NSW coroner receives application for fresh inquest into 1979 Luna Park Ghost Train fire
                                https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...uiry/100061180

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X