Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Subscribe to a Thread.

Collapse

Important information for new (and old) users about the forum.

If you have a question EG: Why can't I do XXXX please read the threads in this section before posting.

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Subscribe to a Thread.

A lot of people seem to be unaware of how the thread subscription system works on AA so here's a quick tutorial. This only applies to accessing AA through your browser not third party apps like Tapatalk.

First off if you wish to receive email notifications from AA including PM's, Likes etc you must have a working email. If you're not receiving Emails from AA then PM me and we can change your email.

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-01-02T00-57-03.053Z.png
    First off go to the thread/forum you wish to subscribe to and scroll to the top and look for "Thread Tools" then click on "Subscribe to this Thread"

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-01-02T01-00-21.649Z.png
    To manage your Subscribed post/threads click on your username at the top right then My Profile then click on the number next to Subscriptions.
    Subscribers are essentially Friends from the old forum.
    If you have an unusual amount of subscriptions here read the bold text below for an explanation.
    Firefox_Screenshot_2020-01-02T01-04-23.051Z.png
    Here you can manage your subscriptions, just click the button on the right to unsubscribe.
    Firefox_Screenshot_2020-01-02T01-08-05.400Z.png
    To access your notification settings click on your Username>User Settings Then click on the Notifications Tap.
    Set it up how you like however to reduce unwanted spam email make sure Subscribe when posting is unticked.

Now the reason a lot of old users may have accumulated a lot of subscriptions without knowing is because the default Vbulletin set was "Through my Control Panel Only" which allowed users to read subscribed threads through their control panel as the name suggests instead of getting emails.
    When a user registered this was set as default by Vbulletin(and unknown to me for a long time). A user could potentially accumulate thousands of subscribed threads without even realising it. Vb5 has just made it obvious.

If you find you have 100's or 1000's of subscribed posts let me know and I'll clear them out for you however you will only get notifications to subscribed threads IF a new post has been made.

How to Subscribe to a Person (Follow)

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-01-29T05-50-33.320Z.png
    Go into the users profile you wish to Subscribe/Follow and click in Subscribe as above. You can access a users profile by simply clicking on their name or just do a search for the user.
    Last edited by Arcade King; 14 April 2020, 10:13 AM.

Just bumping this thread. I need to update it to match the new site but the problem has been magnified because this site actually sends out notifications better.
    The old forum originally was set to automatically subscribe users when they created or posted in a thread as mentioned in the above post it was set to " Through my control Panel Only" which means you could see a list of subscribed threads in your profile.
    The problem is especially with old user of AA you've probably accumulated thousands of subscribed threads over the years. Have a look at THIS and make sure your setting in notifications are unticked, that means you need to manually subscribe to threads.

Comment

My settings are ticked for do not subscribe (i checked today) but i was getting notifications for threads i was subscribed to by viewing this morning (not email just in the banner). Not complaining, just trying to give feedback about bugs. It may just be it takes a while for new cookies to settle in or something, but i have 89 threads subscribed too and i turned that off within the first day or two of joining.
      In; Deadpool, The Hobbit, Whirlwind, Genie, Lost World, Hurricane, Pinball Magic, Royal Flush,
      Tommy, Spy Hunter, Orbit 1, Sorcerer, Tales from The Crypt, Houdini, Flash, Street Fighter 2.
      Looking for;
      Space Invaders, Ripleys Believe It or Not.

Comment

i deleted some but im still subscribed to around 4000 threads. seems theres no way to bulk unsubscribe

Comment

I'll have to ask them what the SQL query is to mass unsubscribe a user.
          Would have been easier if people took up my offer on the old forum when I brought this up the first time.

Comment

does this help you ?

"https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...s-to-all-users" - "

You can remove a user's individual subscriptions by editing their user profile in the AdminCP and selecting Delete Subscriptions from the Quick User Links drop down at the top of the page."

personally i dont care if you dont fix it. but no doubt im not the only one who has it

Comment

Ok that's a good idea actually. I'll do it to yours now tell me how it goes.

Comment

appears to have worked a treat.. thanks !

also good feedback - it got rid of the 4000 posts / threads but did not mess with the "users" subscribed (aka the old 'friends' system) ..

Comment

Ok thanks.
                  I know punkin wanted his cleared and JOKERPOKER
                  Anybody else speak up now.

Comment

Hey Trav
                    yep that sorted my issues with all the subscriptions but has left the old friends as Doug mentioned.

thanks mate.
                    PINBALL gotta love it

"There's no such thing as too much bling"

Comment

I don't know anything about subscribed threads and what they do.
                      yes I need to read up a bit.
                      i assume it will notify you if you subscribe to a thread.
                      something I don't want.
                      i remember Trav talking about this a few months ago.
                      from memory a lot of members were auto subscribing to everything and I was one of them.
                      there were instructions on how to change this but it didn't seem to work for me.

i just need to read up on it more.

Comment

Originally posted by toads View Post
                        something I don't want.
                        from memory a lot of members were auto subscribing to everything and I was one of them.
                        there were instructions on how to change this but it didn't seem to work for me.

I hadn’t subscribed to anything previously but the new version had me subscribed to 2929 threads. I was getting notifications every few minutes. Trav deleted them all and it seems ok now. I just don’t want the alerts all the time. Tried it once with the for sale thread but found it pretty annoying actually so turned it back off.
                        PINBALL gotta love it

"There's no such thing as too much bling"

Comment

something I don't want.

Basically its a system where you can subscribe to a topic and choose to receives notifications of any updates in the thread either through your control panel notifications or email.
                          To save having to repeat myself for the 1000th time I'll cut and past whats in the first post of this thread.
                          Originally posted by me
                          Please use this option carefully. It is set to "Do not Subscribe" by default. The default used to be "Through my Control Panel Only" which is why without knowing it a lot of older AA members will find a heap of threads they have automatically subscribed to in their subscription folder.
                          I recommend leaving this set to Do not Subscribe otherwise it will automatically subscribe you to EVERY thread you have made or posted in however it is there if you wish to use it.
                          Go into your User Settings Click on notifications Untick Automatic Subscriptions this means you have to manually subscribe to a thread via the button on top right of a topic.
                          Secondly make sure you have your Email Notifications are set how you want.
                          Lastly if have a lot of subscriptions and want them reset let me know. It's getting frustrating having to repeat the same thing 50 times so please refer people to this post.
                          I'll update the information in the first post when I get time so match the current system.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post

Basically its a system where you can subscribe to a topic and choose to receives notifications of any updates in the thread either through your control panel notifications or email.
                            To save having to repeat myself for the 1000th time I'll cut and past whats in the first post of this thread.

Go into your User Settings Click on notifications Untick Automatic Subscriptions this means you have to manually subscribe to a thread via the button on top right of a topic.
                            Secondly make sure you have your Email Notifications are set how you want.
                            Lastly if have a lot of subscriptions and want them reset let me know. It's getting frustrating having to repeat the same thing 50 times so please refer people to this post.
                            I'll update the information in the first post when I get time so match the current system.
                            my automatic subscriptions box isn't ticked.
                            i have over 5000 subscriptions

Comment

my automatic subscriptions box isn't ticked.
                              i have over 5000 subscriptions
                              Doesn't matter the point I'm trying to get across years ago the forum defaulted every user to automatically subscribe to threads that the user posted in and the Through my Control Panel Only was also the default setting which means instead of getting emails for every update to a subscribed thread you could see a list of subscribed threads in your control panel.
                              So in a nutshell people have accumulated thousands of subscriptions over the years because the way the forum default was set.
                              Maybe I'm not explaining this clearly?

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X