Rc car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rc car

Hi I'm new to rc car 4 wheel drive etc. I live on a 4 acre property, my daughter is asking for a remote control car that goes over dirt and grass, whats recommended for a budget of$500

Do you have any LiPos or LiPo chargers? I'm guessing you want something ready to run (RTR) with the controller and a battery pack in the car? What size? There's plenty of options around to suit different conditions but here's a few that might suit.

E-revo 1/16 is a fast little beast https://www.maxpowerrccars.com.au/tr...o-tra7107.html which will be ok on dirt and grass, as long as it's not long grass.
    Something like this https://www.maxpowerrccars.com.au/tr...c-charger.html is more designed for the off road having larger tires and greater ground clearance. Will have money left over for additional batteries and spare parts when things break.
    A step up https://www.maxpowerrccars.com.au/tr...r-brushed.html

Cheers
    -cdbrown

Comment

I've been out of the game for a while so don't know what's current, but I would recommend a 1/8 scale buggy. The additional ground clearance and wheel base really helps going over grass/dirt/bumpy terrain, they're easier to see at a distance and don't break as easily. Easier to work on too.

I have a Vaterra Glamis Uno I bought a few years ago and it has been the best RC car I've ever owned. So fun to drive, very fast with great handling and near indestructible. Unfortunately it's been discontinued, which is a pity as it was a great car with everything needed included in the box.
      SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
      PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

How old is your daughter?

Comment

Arma Raider XL BLX

Seems to fit the bill. Buy a better charger and a couple of LiPo batteries and you're good to go.

Comment

If you after a car with a small budget that goes like a shower of shite and you dont care about beating it up, then the HSP stuff will do the job. Not big dollar stuff but good entry level. like $200 for a 4x4 nitro buggy. you can buy them on ebay. and before the brand name boys comment, he has a small budget and they do go good I have a 2 speed nitro buggy and it flys and i treat it like crap. plus the parts are cheap and plenty of upgrades that can be done.
            good place to start before moving onto the really good stuff

Comment

Daughter is 11, id imagine the younger one who is 9 will want one later, I have no lipo? Whats that, think of me who knows zilch

Comment

Originally posted by markandsophie View Post
                Daughter is 11, id imagine the younger one who is 9 will want one later, I have no lipo? Whats that, think of me who knows zilch
                Lipo is just a battery.
                you need the right charger for it, buy a couple of batteries or else its a short day
                If your kids are that age, you wouldnt need anything to special, If thats the case then HSP would be perfect and not to much crying when your kid kills it, plus still enough fun for your self

Comment

LiPo - the type of rechargeable battery most electric cars run. Other type is NiMh which is cheaper, slightly lower voltage and is what comes with a lot of RTR cars. I've got a cheap 1/16 Turnigy Beetle from Hobbyking which is pretty simple and quick to drive, however can be easily broken if bashing too much (especially with higher rated batteries). I got it as I could get replacement parts quite easily and I've gone through a few repairs already (mainly after the kids get it and slam it into a kerb. If I get another one I'll be getting a larger scale 4wd truck with more robust gear.

Comment

Originally posted by jason1 View Post
                    If you after a car with a small budget that goes like a shower of shite and you dont care about beating it up, then the HSP stuff will do the job. Not big dollar stuff but good entry level. like $200 for a 4x4 nitro buggy. you can buy them on ebay. and before the brand name boys comment, he has a small budget and they do go good I have a 2 speed nitro buggy and it flys and i treat it like crap. plus the parts are cheap and plenty of upgrades that can be done.
                    good place to start before moving onto the really good stuff
                    +1 for HSP

Great entry level cars, cheap price but not the really crappy quality.

I've got 12 of them and have had them for I think about 7 years.

I would recommend you look for one with a brushless motor and make sure its 2.4ghz - that makes it very easy if you want to expand and get more for yourself, other kids, friends, etc. 2.4ghz transmitters and receivers allow you to have heaps of cars racing at the same time and have a further range.

The only breakage (besides body kits) that I can think of is one time the steering assembly broke due to an extremely fast head on collision.... so I'm happy with the quality, they seem to be built pretty well for a cheaper price.
                    www.pinballmuseum.com.au
                    www.facebook.com/pinballmuseum

Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date with everything going on at the Australian Pinball Museum: www.pinballmuseum.com.au/?p=Newsletter

Comment

I got one of these link (Body was Grave Digger but there all the same otherwise) for my son at age 4, he is now 7 and still loving it. They have a learner setting that gives about half power, and once they have got the hang of it just set it to full. It went that well I got one also, so much crazy fun with them and they are tough as nails. We do alot of paddock driving and the large wheels make it effortless. May not be the fastest thing around (still plenty fast though), but just perfect for the kids imo.
                      I have a 1/5th HSP SC gas truck as well and I reckon I have as much fun with traxxas as I do with it, but for different reasons.
                      Good luck with the search

Comment

What prices and places would people recommend

Comment

Do you have a local hobby store nearby? Prices will be through the roof but you can suss out their range, ask questions, receive advice and most importantly find out which spare parts they stock.

You can buy online from USA and Hong Kong etc and save hundreds but you're on your own if something goes wrong.

Hard to give prices unless you specify a model.

Comment

What prices and places would people recommend
                            If your looking at HSP which is in the $120-$300 bracket, will get you a tonne of fun, you can buy from either http://www.superandcheaper.com.au/c/...39%7C170&rf=cn or https://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/rc-cars-buggies.html

both those places are Ebay sellers as well, I think i got mine from Supercheaper from their ebay listing years and years ago.
                            Ive bought parts from thier website a few times over the years including alloy suspension upgrades and so on.

My missus has $150 Hsp electric buggy, it goes prety good, I have a nitro.

those Traxxas brand ones [MENTION=4287]FLEX[/MENTION] mentioned are good, maybe a bit more expensive than HSP

this is my old Hsp 1/10 scale cost me less than $200 when I got it, its about 7 years old. so has the older transmitter, I have considered upgrading to a 2.4ghz.
                            but it works fine as it is, they now come with DPS from what Im aware. so this is an older model
                            But should give you an idea of what they look like

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1(5).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	1825787
                            Last edited by jason1; 11th October 2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

HSP. Cheap and awesome!!!!!!! I bought one for my eldest a few yrs ago. On a fresh battery and on grass if you punch it it and I kid you not does a complete flip. It made me think at the time how things have changed from the days of chasing coin to buy and repair bits for my Tamiya Boomerang. The cheapies are pretty stufn good......

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X