Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Do you have any LiPos or LiPo chargers? I'm guessing you want something ready to run (RTR) with the controller and a battery pack in the car? What size? There's plenty of options around to suit different conditions but here's a few that might suit.

E-revo 1/16 is a fast little beast https://www.maxpowerrccars.com.au/traxxas-1-16-e-revo-vxl-rtr-with-new-2-4-radio-tra7107.html which will be ok on dirt and grass, as long as it's not long grass.

Something like this https://www.maxpowerrccars.com.au/traxxas-bigfoot-1-10-rtr-monster-truck-firestone-w-xl-5-esc-tq-2-4ghz-radio-battery-dc-charger.html is more designed for the off road having larger tires and greater ground clearance. Will have money left over for additional batteries and spare parts when things break.

A step up https://www.maxpowerrccars.com.au/traxxas-stampede-ep-mt-1-10-4x4-motor-brushed.html

Cheers

-cdbrown

I've been out of the game for a while so don't know what's current, but I would recommend a 1/8 scale buggy. The additional ground clearance and wheel base really helps going over grass/dirt/bumpy terrain, they're easier to see at a distance and don't break as easily. Easier to work on too.

I have a Vaterra Glamis Uno I bought a few years ago and it has been the best RC car I've ever owned. So fun to drive, very fast with great handling and near indestructible. Unfortunately it's been discontinued, which is a pity as it was a great car with everything needed included in the box.

If you after a car with a small budget that goes like a shower of shite and you dont care about beating it up, then the HSP stuff will do the job. Not big dollar stuff but good entry level. like $200 for a 4x4 nitro buggy. you can buy them on ebay. and before the brand name boys comment, he has a small budget and they do go good I have a 2 speed nitro buggy and it flys and i treat it like crap. plus the parts are cheap and plenty of upgrades that can be done.

good place to start before moving onto the really good stuff

Daughter is 11, id imagine the younger one who is 9 will want one later, I have no lipo? Whats that, think of me who knows zilch

Lipo is just a battery.

you need the right charger for it, buy a couple of batteries or else its a short day

If your kids are that age, you wouldnt need anything to special, If thats the case then HSP would be perfect and not to much crying when your kid kills it, plus still enough fun for your self

Daughter is 11, id imagine the younger one who is 9 will want one later, I have no lipo? Whats that, think of me who knows zilch

LiPo - the type of rechargeable battery most electric cars run. Other type is NiMh which is cheaper, slightly lower voltage and is what comes with a lot of RTR cars. I've got a cheap 1/16 Turnigy Beetle from Hobbyking which is pretty simple and quick to drive, however can be easily broken if bashing too much (especially with higher rated batteries). I got it as I could get replacement parts quite easily and I've gone through a few repairs already (mainly after the kids get it and slam it into a kerb. If I get another one I'll be getting a larger scale 4wd truck with more robust gear.

If you after a car with a small budget that goes like a shower of shite and you dont care about beating it up, then the HSP stuff will do the job. Not big dollar stuff but good entry level. like $200 for a 4x4 nitro buggy. you can buy them on ebay. and before the brand name boys comment, he has a small budget and they do go good I have a 2 speed nitro buggy and it flys and i treat it like crap. plus the parts are cheap and plenty of upgrades that can be done.

good place to start before moving onto the really good stuff

+1 for HSP

Great entry level cars, cheap price but not the really crappy quality.

I've got 12 of them and have had them for I think about 7 years.

I would recommend you look for one with a brushless motor and make sure its 2.4ghz - that makes it very easy if you want to expand and get more for yourself, other kids, friends, etc. 2.4ghz transmitters and receivers allow you to have heaps of cars racing at the same time and have a further range.

The only breakage (besides body kits) that I can think of is one time the steering assembly broke due to an extremely fast head on collision.... so I'm happy with the quality, they seem to be built pretty well for a cheaper price.

I got one of these =field_type%3A246"]link (Body was Grave Digger but there all the same otherwise) for my son at age 4, he is now 7 and still loving it. They have a learner setting that gives about half power, and once they have got the hang of it just set it to full. It went that well I got one also, so much crazy fun with them and they are tough as nails. We do alot of paddock driving and the large wheels make it effortless. May not be the fastest thing around (still plenty fast though), but just perfect for the kids imo.

I have a 1/5th HSP SC gas truck as well and I reckon I have as much fun with traxxas as I do with it, but for different reasons.

Good luck with the search :)

Do you have a local hobby store nearby? Prices will be through the roof but you can suss out their range, ask questions, receive advice and most importantly find out which spare parts they stock.

You can buy online from USA and Hong Kong etc and save hundreds but you're on your own if something goes wrong.

Hard to give prices unless you specify a model.

What prices and places would people recommend

If your looking at HSP which is in the $120-$300 bracket, will get you a tonne of fun, you can buy from either http://www.superandcheaper.com.au/c/rc-hobbies-toys/vehicle/11?cn=39%7C170&rf=cn or https://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/rc-cars-buggies.html

both those places are Ebay sellers as well, I think i got mine from Supercheaper from their ebay listing years and years ago.

Ive bought parts from thier website a few times over the years including alloy suspension upgrades and so on.

My missus has $150 Hsp electric buggy, it goes prety good, I have a nitro.

those Traxxas brand ones @FLEX mentioned are good, maybe a bit more expensive than HSP

this is my old Hsp 1/10 scale cost me less than $200 when I got it, its about 7 years old. so has the older transmitter, I have considered upgrading to a 2.4ghz.

but it works fine as it is, they now come with DPS from what Im aware. so this is an older model

But should give you an idea of what they look like

image1(5).thumb.JPG.d305f110893f7f00c4a460ddce32508c.JPG

Edited by jason1

HSP. Cheap and awesome!!!!!!! I bought one for my eldest a few yrs ago. On a fresh battery and on grass if you punch it it and I kid you not does a complete flip. It made me think at the time how things have changed from the days of chasing coin to buy and repair bits for my Tamiya Boomerang. The cheapies are pretty stufn good......

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Buddy. Lachlan's rc has the older style batteries which don't last as long. The li-po's for my rc last for ages.

Our charger can charge very quickly less than 2 hours per battery.

U need to pop down and have a gander [emoji23]

Drop me a line for the 'long weekend' ;)

I got my son a HSP 1/10 brushed monster truck http://www.superandcheaper.com.au/p/hsp-rc-car-2.4ghz-1-10-electric-4wd-off-road-rtr-r/HSP94111_88046 The thing is large, quick enough for him and good fun. At first he thought it was just some large k-mart type car which are toys, but once he took it outside and turned it on he was very happy. He drives it around first thing in the morning and then after school and is looking forward to taking it to the skate park or bike track on the weekend to give it a proper run. I just need to get my little turnigy beetle fixed up with new front and rear diffs.

I also purchased 4 bigger capacity batteries from hobbyking - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-stick-pack-sub-c-3000mah-7-2v-nimh-high-power-series.html and they fit fine in the battery holder

Battery duration all depends on what you are doing, going flat stick will chew through quicker say in 10 mins, driving on thick grass will have the same effect. I think my son gets around 20mins+ with the bigger batteries. The charge time is long like 4+ hours. The charger that comes with them turns green when it's charged. Definitely get extra batteries. I went with 4 just coz I know my daughter will probably want one for christmas. I've got a smart charger for charging LiPos and I'm hoping I have the connector so I can charge some up using that at the same time as using the supplied charger.

If you go the brushless pro versions which are closer to $300, these run on LiPo batteries instead of the NiMh of the brushless cars. LiPos have very good run times but make sure to do some reading on proper methods of charging to prevent the cells becoming unbalanced. Good thing with LiPos and a good charger is being able to charge multiple LiPos at the same time.

Son took his car out onto a local dirt bmx track on the weekend and had a ball. It had plenty of speed and was great fun bashing around. One of the 3000mah batteries probably lasted 20 minutes which is pretty good. He's still learning how to drive it properly and getting it to run straight was hard due to the gravel and bumps, but he got it up and over all the jumps, getting some air on some. Definitely a lot of fun bashing it around on the dirt. Only issue we had was small pebbles jamming up the steering link but was easily fixed by manually moving the wheels left and right. No damage apart from some scratches to the body thanks to flipping or rolling off the side of the jumps at speed. Tough truck.

I think I've narrowed it down to a traxxas bandit,. I'll get lipo batteries and charger for it

, Ill buy one for myself too as my younger daughter will want to use one once she sees or older sister playing with one. Theres lots of choice out there indeed. Any recommendations on the lipo charger that can charge in 3 hrs and do 2 packs at a time

- - - Updated - - -

The 1/10 Monster truck was too big as the buggy would be able to fit on her desk in her room

@ @markandsophie

there are plenty of fast chargers out there, the fast chargers can reduce the life of your battery sometimes, so keep that in mind, by how much Im not sure.

your spending the bigger money now on a brushless or the regular motors? Remember the bandit is 2WD

And so you need to consider where the motors sit on those cars, they are right down at the rear and open to dirt and water. for the price of one of those with a none brushless Bandit you could buy a brushless motor of other makers which would destroy the none brushless bandit. and the HSP brushless version of the bandit is sealed so you dont get the shit in the motor, it cost around $200

the brushless on those bandits are like $600 if i remember correctly and not sure you would want spend that sort of money on a kids first car which would get destroyed due to the power they have.

Just keep that in mind when choosing your buggy, here is picture of what im talking about, of the traxxas Bandit 2wd buggy beside the HSP 2wd brushless.

the good thing about 4wd Buggies is they have the motors inside the center Main body so you have less to worry about when it comes to dirt compared to the 2wd that have the motor at the back right in the mud and dirt, Traxxas are good cars Im not bagging them just showing some things you may want to consider when buying entry level Traxxas vs the HSP you would buy for cheaper.

I would say the controller on the traxaas would be nicer than the HSP. but controllers can be upgraded like any other car

hsp.jpg.da9f496e4e996fcf15f7bb2135a6ec54.jpg

Edited by jason1

http://www1.allaustraliansale.com/index.php?id_product=158060&controller=product

if you trust them, and if that site is even in Aus dollars, which despite the name it probably isn't. EDIT: scratch that, i can't even add it to my cart. Oh well.

60km/h is fricking fast though, i reckon a 7-yr-old will destroy it pretty fast. And have a blast doing so :)

I know nothing about quality though, my RC car experience is at least 20 years old.