RC Planes - first plane.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Planes - first plane.

I'm looking at getting in to RC planes and having nevr flown a remote control plane I am looking at getting one of these for my first.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Plane-...item4aada7115c

It's a 3 channel so will be a little easier to control whilst I get used to the reversed controls as the plane flies towards me, it's made out of EPP body and wings so should be good for crashes, and the prop ejects on a nose first impact to save damage to the motor I guess from going in full throttle.

Thought,s would this make a good first plane?
    Hindsight is always in high definition!

C64anabalt: 9647m

I've only flown balsa planes with nitro engines ( 4 channel) but the basics look right.

It's a high wing trainer. That's good. High wings are far more stable and fly at lower speed which is perfect for beginners. It does however appear from the photos that the 3 channels are throttle, rudder and elevator? This will make for some tough flying as it's the ailerons that "do the turning" when in flight. The rudder is for correcting yore and steering in the ground.
    Woody

Comment

From experience, having only rudder and elevator does not help you learn how to fly or make it any easier. Trying to turn with only a rudder can be a real limitation and quite frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

and also, the smaller the plane the more unstable it is (unless it is fantastic build quality, but you get what you pay for). As a beginner I would suggest going for something more along the lines of this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Art-tech-...item35c1dc183d I know it is double the cost but it could be the difference between a great experience and a terrible one..

Have you played any flight sim type games on console or pc (flight sims)? This helps out a lot as it gives a basic understanding of flight principles.

Comment

I have flown for years have plenty of planes currently flying the one below (mostly).. I personally (against many opinions at my club) believe as FLEX said you need ailerons from day one..

http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/elect...-wind-50e.html

Small plane is not too bad as some of the little ones you can crash and repair easily, I had that art-tech one and it was garbage IMO.. The problem is a lot of these cheap Chinese brand planes are badly designed or will need to be balanced etc as the suggested CG (center of gravity) is often wrong.. When you are starting out working that out is adding to your learning curve..

I suggest trying a simulator like Phoenix RC as it will teach you a lot.. And a plane like the one below..

http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/hobby...gy-mode-2.html

Though I learnt with one of these, crashed a lot and can only fly in very low wind, but easy to repair with tape ;-)

http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/parkz...echnology.html

Though that is without a remote..

Depends how far you want to go? if you want to keep going buy a decent remote DX6 and a BNF plane compatible with it..

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdId=SPM6700

Any flying clubs in your area?????
        Pins: Judge Dredd, Dr Who, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Star Wars DE
        Arcade: New Astro City 31k, OK Baby 15k, 20" LCD Vertical upright and 25" Shi Jia Yi 15k

Comment

Hey knight I got into the hobby about 6 months ago and now 5 planes latter am hooked on it.

The first plane I started with was a P51 mustang. Steep learning curve but a good plane.

Most guys start on a blixer or other type of glider.

Hobbyking had some good starting planes, I ise only spektrum gear and have a dx6i. I am now looking for a dx9 lol

I joined a club as I got sick of flying at parks and having to dodge people, dogs etc

I fly with a club called PEMAC but a bit fair away from you.

Comment

Have a look here

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Trainer.html

Get a PNF which means you just need a transmitter, receiver and batt

I have a esky 6 channel receiver and 4 channel transmitter somewhere which you can have if I can find it. And when you need to upgrade you can get a spektrum or fsky etc.

Also a decent charger is a good idea

This was my first plane but would recommend a high wing unless you clock up some time on a sim

Comment

Originally posted by Manta View Post
              Have a look here

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Trainer.html

Get a PNF which means you just need a transmitter, receiver and batt

I have a esky 6 channel receiver and 4 channel transmitter somewhere which you can have if I can find it. And when you need to upgrade you can get a spektrum or fsky etc.

Also a decent charger is a good idea

This was my first plane but would recommend a high wing unless you clock up some time on a sim
              Thanks Adam thats real generous and sounds like an offer I can't refuse.

I can use the 4 channel transmitter for a while until I can upgrade or buy my own. Can I get a BNF and will it bind with the 4 channel receiver you have? Or, would I need to by a kit and put it together using your 6ch receiver?

I have a bit of time on flight sims, though haven't done anything with any for a few years now. I think I'll start with something easier than Manta's starter plane, unless that little dude in there has a parachute.

To be honest I've read so much info about them over the last few days my brain is a bit melted from it all. There is a lot of info to pick up coming in to the hobby.

Comment

It depends, you can always just swap the receiver.

I will go have a look and see if I can find it.

The other thing to decide on early is which mode you want. I use mode two which had the throttle on the left and elevator and ailerons on the right

Comment

Found it

Comment

Btw Joele, that plane is awesome

Comment

That looks real good Manta thanks. I'll take it on loan and return it when I replace it.

Ill send you a PM. I'm planning to go to a hobby shop tomorrow to have a bit of a look what they have.

Mode wise, I'd be going mode 2 also. Seems to make sense that arrangement.

Comment

No worries. Won't need it back 👍

Comment

Thanks Adam your a champion. I'll be in contact.

Has anybody bought from Hobbywarehouse.com.au? They seem to be online only and good prices with free shipping. Selling pre built planes so they generally just buy in bulk and pass them along I guess. But if there is an issue with warranty it could be a pain, though I think warranty on these things would be fairly useless beyond DOA.

Comment

Yep that where I got my first plane via the eBay store. Seemed ok, overpriced for batteries etc but no real issues

If you go to hobbyking.com and click the Australian warehouse it's worth a look but yeah agree some cheap planes can have cg issues.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the aus warehouse for hobbyking. I had checked the site before but thought they were only US based.

Looking at this one at the moment: http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/st...O_1265mm_.html

It's got the high mounted wing as mentioned above for stability. Has a large wingspan compared to the sky eagle I linked to above. Just need to add the battery and charger.

Thoughts? Elastic band seems funny though.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X