Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiya Sand Scorcher

Yeah, I just bought me one (",)

Who here (unless they are under 40) didn't covet these when they were kids? Since Tamiya rereleased it in 2009, I've been on again, off again thinking about it. But I've just bought one as a reward for myself.

Thing is, what do you guys recommend for batteries? Seems to be a bit contentious when I google it. I know at least one of you guys bought one (I was looking at the thread recently actually).

At the moment it seems something like this might be the go:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321187306...84.m1438.l2649

And then I'll need a charger, and apparently a safety cut off switch thingo since the ESC that comes with the kit isn't suitable for LiPo...

Thoughts?
    Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

I still haven't put the bloody thing together!
    The Barn - 2020 - 7th and 8th of August
    SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

I always wanted one of those as a teenager. I never got one...

Comment

Originally posted by sleazius View Post
        I still haven't put the bloody thing together!
        Ah yes, you bought it from the tamiya shop, right? Geez, you sure don't rush things, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by danny_galaga View Post
          Ah yes, you bought it from the tamiya shop, right? Geez, you sure don't rush things, do you?
          Yeah, Tamiya in Singapore. I actually put it in a metal cupboard then soon after dumped a bunch of pins in front of it forgetting that I had put the sand scorcher in there. I haven't got around to moving the pins yet to get it out!
          SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

This is the only excuse I would have accepted

Comment

Ahh memories,
              I had the original Baja bug which was awesome fun to build, with the oil filled dampeners etc. Much to my surprise other kids a school were happy to pay me to build theirs for them too. I ended up building a few hornets and some others I can't even remember now..

Ahh the 80's rocked as a kid.

Comment

Well, while waiting for the kit to arrive, I've gone a bit nuts on extra goodies. So far I've bought a set of sealed bearings, a spare pair of rear tyres and a spare body kit. And just now after a bit of research I discovered a spare part for a cheapie car that might be useful:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNZN

At only about 12 bucks with freight it was worth a punt, especially after further searching turned up someone else who tried the same thing.

So now all I need is the actually car to put all this shit in

Comment

Sounds awesome - make sure you post some pics when you build it!
                  SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Well at this stage I can't recommend Tamiya Shop to anyone. Just checked the tracking number. It came to Australia, sat in some depot for a week and is now back in Hong Kong

I should say I don't know if it's their fault yet. But if it sat here for a week, I suspect they put the wrong address on it. If not them, then I blame DHL...

edit 17/12: Tamiya Shop not really to blame...
                    Last edited by danny_galaga; 17th December 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Well, it was showing as back in Hong Kong on the 29th, and then back in transit on the same day. Tamiya shop haven't seen it yet. I wonder if it's coming back to me all over again? Sheesh...

Comment

Latest is that Hong Kong Post is waiting for Australia Post to tell them why it was sent back

This will takes weeks apparently. All excitement for this is now gone. Whatever the outcome, I am going to cancel the order and buy one from someone on ebay instead, in January...

Comment

What a bummer! I was looking forward to seeing it built..... (might actually shift my butt into gear).
                          SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Here's the kicker- I got SMRT today and checked the tracking number at work, since I work at an Aust Post delivery centre. It is looking like it was ACTUALLY IN THE OFFICE at one stage! I might have walked past the stupid thing! It then got transferred to another branch for some unknown reason. I've put in a complaint/query to find out why the **** someone would do that. It may have been a lazy DHL courier, or a lazy Aust Post courier. It won't bring it back, but at least the query will make the driver sweat for a minute.

Meanwhile I've received more spare parts for it! Maybe I should just build it from spare parts

Comment

Sorry to hear the screw around you are having.

I've got a few Tamiya RC vehicles, some orginal some Re-Releases.

If you need good suppliers I can certainly put you in touch with those that I deal with, never had an issue.

here's some of my collection.

And yep, have a Sand Scorcher

Last edited by Savage; 16th December 2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X